Elizabeth Projects (7th St, Elizabeth Ave, etc)

JunktionFET

2 hours ago, archiham04 said:
1 hour ago, nonillogical said:

Go on...

The developer gave the neighborhood some pretty eyepopping concessions.

The way I see it, the fact that they split the building in two is HUGE. That's what half the contested rezonings have brought up by neighborhoods and it's usually the last thing that would ever happen given how these things are pre-planned and financed.

Changes made by Faison to address concerns about density & under-parking the facility:

1. Reduced # of Apts from 123 down to 100.

2. Parking: increased ratios to 1 space per apt bedroom, Restaurant: Park at 10 spaces per 1000 sf.

3. Addressed concerns about scale/massing by breaking project into 2 buildings along 7th St.

The above items were brought up by the  neighborhood several times in the months prior to the public hearing, but were not addressed.

Condition agreed to months ago: At time when plans are submitted for permit review, Faison will issue a set of building plans & elevations to the Elizabeth Community Association so that they can verify that final design is in compliance with rezoning docs and things have not been "VE'd" out. Faison will hold a pre-construction meeting between Faison, Contractor, & neighborhood residents to discuss items such as noise, parking, deliveries, etc. This will also help Contractor by making expectations clear, and establishing points of contact within the neighborhood so contractor knows who to call if a problem with a neighboring property owner comes up.

The $25K donation was never requested or sought out by the neighborhood, but was proposed by Faison, and can be used for any neighborhood improvement project.

Edited by Bat'leth

1 hour ago, Prodev said:

If Chris Branch didn't already own this land, this deal would have been dead months ago. 

Ding ding ding.  He just needs to get something done with it and off his books (ten years and 2 companies later).  I guess the neighborhood won through attrition.  Good for them though.  It really is a good deal for the neighborhood and every new version over the last decade has moved in the right direction in my opinion.

Next up, whats left of the strip center across the street...  This is a big move that will make the other three corners much easier to develop in the future.  

12 hours ago, Bat'leth said:

Condition agreed to months ago: At time when plans are submitted for permit review, Faison will issue a set of building plans & elevations to the Elizabeth Community Association so that they can verify that final design is in compliance with rezoning docs and things have not been "VE'd" out. Faison will hold a pre-construction meeting between Faison, Contractor, & neighborhood residents to discuss items such as noise, parking, deliveries, etc. This will also help Contractor by making expectations clear, and establishing points of contact within the neighborhood so contractor knows who to call if a problem with a neighboring property owner comes up.

It may have been agreed to months ago, but it's still a dangerous precedent. Why should ECA have any authority to "verify" what would normally be part of the standard staff review process for any other approved rezoning? 

Granted, I'm not surprised, as Elizabeth's special treatment is why PED wouldn't fly here. ECA would much rather negotiate every site and architectural detail case-by-case, instead of carefully developing a grassroots Plan that had lasting consensus for implementation. 

Edited by southslider

45 minutes ago, southslider said:

It may have been agreed to months ago, but it's still a dangerous precedent. Why should ECA have any authority to "verify" what would normally be part of the standard staff review process for any other approved rezoning? 

Granted, I'm not surprised, as Elizabeth's special treatment is why PED wouldn't fly here. ECA would much rather negotiate every site and architectural detail case-by-case, instead of carefully developing a grassroots Plan that had lasting consensus for implementation. 

How many council members, mayors, former mayors, planning staff, etc. live in Elizabeth?  Not to mention the number of architects, Dean of Art and Architecture at UNCC, etc. etc...

Edit: ...developers...

Edited by UrbanGossip

1 hour ago, southslider said:

ECA shouldn't need the authority to "verify", but due to recent episodes we have experienced in PM (Marvel), I do not blame them for wanting to be part of the process.  

I think the big alarm bell here is the Money... whether the developer offers or the Neighborhood asks... this does not pass the smell test.  This was 25K.  We had a mayor go to the pen for 50K... over real estate landuse approvals...

Of course the mayor situation was "a horse of different color".... 

You see where this could go?

Edited by archiham04

Agree that it's not a good precedent but it happens often.  Original developer of Mercury committed to $50k for " neighborhood art" - right there in the developers notes.  I've also heard that Barclay Downs has extracted money over the years from developers touching the fringes of their neighborhood.  Shady as hell but I don't think there's anything illegal about it.

40 minutes ago, UrbanGossip said:

Agree that it's not a good precedent but it happens often.  Original developer of Mercury committed to $50k for " neighborhood art" - right there in the developers notes.  I've also heard that Barclay Downs has extracted money over the years from developers touching the fringes of their neighborhood.  Shady as hell but I don't think there's anything illegal about it.

Almost all of the recent apartment rezonings in the NoDa or Optimist area have included specific notes for donations to neighborhood associations or for art, so it's not that uncommon. 

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Bat'leth said:

According to an email, Kinsey met with developers, asked for changes. They made the requested changes, and she still voted against. Copies distributed showing the latest elevations are attached

She did the exact same thing with the Plaza Midwood Old Chatham Swim Club. She's terrible.

She's a savvy (and good IMO) politician.  Seen this in Charlotte and elsewhere with these types of things.  The rep of that district pushes for the best development they can get from the developer.  Then whips the votes behind the scene to make sure it will pass without her vote because it is good for the city (tax dollars, needed housing, etc.) and then votes against it to look like she's a champion of the neighborhood; "it's not good enough for this great neighborhood" kind of thing.  Win Win.  Crap like that happens all the time.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, UrbanGossip said:

She's a savvy (and good IMO) politician.  Seen this in Charlotte and elsewhere with these types of things.  The rep of that district pushes for the best development they can get from the developer.  Then whips the votes behind the scene to make sure it will pass without her vote because it is good for the city (tax dollars, needed housing, etc.) and then votes against it to look like she's a champion of the neighborhood; "it's not good enough for this great neighborhood" kind of thing.  Win Win.  Crap like that happens all the time.

Except, with Old Chatham, she asked for changes, changes were made, and then the other council members voted the same way she did--which was no.

#sorrytobeatadeadhorse

Slight detour from the current discussion:

I noticed today that Cuisine Malaya is gone and they are tearing down that building. I remember when the coffee bar was closed. City bagel also looks closed; did that close? 

Ive been on the road that last few weeks and must have missed this. I actually liked city deli and Cuisine Malaya looked good for a quick Chinese food craving. Is that whole strip destined for redevelopment? 

image.jpeg