Elizabeth Projects (7th St, Elizabeth Ave, etc)

JunktionFET

On 6/11/2018 at 10:28 AM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Its hard to know with a very "green" council and planning director in place. Nimbys turned a beautiful 42 floor Arlington into a 28 floor Pink box. Our beautiful flatiron on 7th and Pecan will likely be lost because of Nimbys. Theres powerful people in some of these groups, especially in Elizabeth, and now that Myers Park has joined in, there are even bigger time people. Diane Powell in Cherry is a CMS employee on the Director Level, and seems to have some sway because of being in the public sector. But she also decries gentrification from the porch of her $700,000 new construction bungalow. 

Not sure how you can support your statement that the flatiron building  at 7th & Pecan will be lost because of the Nimbys. The Elizabeth neighborhood supported the rezoning. We're just waiting for Faison to build it.

• Like 1

Not sure how you can support your statement that the flatiron building  at 7th & Pecan will be lost because of the Nimbys. The Elizabeth neighborhood supported the rezoning. We're just waiting for Faison to build it.

Th downscaled version was supported. Yes it still featured the flatiron in the second iteration, but it shed dozens of apartments and turned into into smaller separate buildings. Less margin, higher construction costs, so now no project.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On the flip side of this issue, I saw an interview on WSOC with a woman from Myers Park who said she was opposed because she did not want downtown to come to Myers Park.  I was baffled by that statement.  If a tower of 20 stories was proposed at Queens/Queens or Selwyn/Queens I would understand that.    There are already some 5-6 story midrises condo buildings in the heart of Myers Park near the country club now.    As this city continues to grow more and more fights like this one will happen.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

On the flip side of this issue, I saw an interview on WSOC with a woman from Myers Park who said she was opposed because she did not want downtown to come to Myers Park.  I was baffled by that statement.  If a tower of 20 stories was proposed at Queens/Queens or Selwyn/Queens I would understand that.    There are already some 5-6 story midrises condo buildings in the heart of Myers Park near the country club now.    As this city continues to grow more and more fights like this one will happen.   

9 minutes ago, cjd5050 said:

Holy Cow, the Myers Park HOA President comes off horribly entitled and completely out of touch with reality.   She feels that this tower is 'bad for Charlotte' and her comment about 'Downtown' moving into Myers Park could be construed with a tinge of racism.  

Let's call it what it is.  There are people who live in Dilworth, Myers Park and Elizabeth who want the best of both worlds and none of the problems.  

It's fascinating that in my line of work I've met a lot of straight-up wealthy New Yorkers from Manhattan. They almost always make jokes about how people "down here" are afraid to live next door to "poor people" or "rough areas." They say "it's all part of living in a city."
I suppose there's an understanding of the cross-sections of humanity when you're on top of each other. Maybe Charlotte will become more like that?

• Like 1

I’m going to give the benefit of the doubt it’s not racially tinged or that uptown is necessarily bad other than they don’t think high density Officer towers fit the character of their neighborhood.

NoDa wouldn’t want this. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I’m going to give the benefit of the doubt it’s not racially tinged or that uptown is necessarily bad other than they don’t think high density Officer towers fit the character of their neighborhood.

NoDa wouldn’t want this. 

NoDa doesn't have the road infrastructure to support anything. 

Very true to the comment above.  

Hopefully though - the approved NAI Project and possible TOD-A /B designations along certain Goldline stops in the near future would end all substantive arguments against Densification and Taller Building Heights for the Midtown / Elizabeth area.  Let's face it - these are parts of a growing CBD.

Doesn't a development in this area actually make it less likely that a similar development would come to Meyers Park in the near term?  It seems like this actually insures that future mid to high rise development on this side of town will occur along the Gold Line and specifically in this quadrant of not Cherry, Elizabeth, or Meyers park.  By focusing growth here, there is actually less likelihood of development like this in an area like, Selwyn Rd. and Woodlawn or any other nearby location.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

NoDa wouldn’t want this. 

IMO:  Downtown=not racially tinged. Urban=quite possibly. Inner city=absolutely (Charlotte applications only)

• Like 1

On 4/9/2018 at 9:31 PM, J-Rob said:

Does anyone know what the story is with this sad, abandoned, weird-stucco building on 4th Street?   Is it part of the Grubb empire?  This is across the street from the proposed 20 story NAI tower.  Surely that tower will lead to some of this being cleaned up and utilized, right?  Better yet, fill this side of 4th street with some nice  mixed use mid-rises.  I am not asking for anything fancy or overly tall, but this is just pathetic for a main thoroughfare that is literally half a mile from Uptown.  

4thA.jpg.9b75a0e6e57658ba0984bac18900f10f.jpg4thB.thumb.jpg.1aa1f4caa7d7f6fd7f1fdf6d99e75a61.jpg

Driving by this morning, I noticed that a demo crew was taking this one down.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, teeg said:

Driving by this morning, I noticed that a demo crew was taking this one down.  

It really makes me so sad, Elizabeth near Elizabeth Ave has (had) so many great old corner buildings like that. But with CP and Novant being themselves, and 3rd & 4th St being thoroughfares for South Charlotte, I guess this area never had a chance at much reuse

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1

^Here is a pic of that demo.  I am sure hopeful this means something interesting is on the way.  This demo is across the street from the newly approved NAI Southern 20 story tower, so whoever owns this parcel has a chance to really do something special. It doesn't have to be  a midrise or highrise as long as it nicely compliments the new tower and makes the proximity of the Gold Line interesting.

Elizabeth.jpg.f3f32939dc9a30c6e906841841fc0ece.jpg

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

Fwiw, the parcel was included way back in the 2005 rezoning for Grubb to create this.

No idea of current intentions.

First was this...

WholeFoods_Elizabeth.jpg

Then became this...

MIX20.jpg

Now????

Personally, I'm glad neither of these were built.  Yuck.

If something over 10 stories is built, neighbors will be apoplectic.