Elizabeth Projects (7th St, Elizabeth Ave, etc)

JunktionFET

On 10/23/2018 at 9:15 PM, sakami said:

Dan Morrill with the Historic Landmarks Commission posted (on FB) this proposed rendering of a a NEW Memorial Stadium. Apparently Mecklenburg County is planning to submit plans to replace the stadium with one that will be suitable for soccer but built in the style of the current Memorial Stadium. 

5F584A7A-F13A-409D-8351-F5DDB075AB1D.png

Anyone else think this will be a waste of money? Tepper is interested in owning an MLS team. This is a perfect location for one.  If this site is chosen the new Memorial Stadium would have to be demolished.

Edited by Synopsis101
  • Like 3

Total waste.  Tepper will get CLT a team soon and they’ll play whereever the panthers play. No need for a different stadium unless the govt just wants to waste more money. The Atlanta team plays in their new dome and consistently gets 50k+ fans.   All the plans I’ve seen for memorial stadium are for less than 20k seats. 

• Like 1

I personally would love to see Memorial Stadium upgraded and with Articial Turf.  Hopefully the plans will be done in a way that permits the Stadium to be further upgraded in the future unlike BB&T Ballpark in 3rd Ward.  I think that was a mistake because that'd be a perfect location for future expansion and possible MLB.

I sincerely hope that Charlotte gets an MLS Expansion Team under Tepper - If we do they'll definitely Play at BOA Stadium with the Panthers.  Question: What's the pro and con between Memorial Stadium with or without Artificial Turf?  I thought Turf allows for more events, etc.  Are there teams / games / events that refuse to play on Artificial Turf?

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Does anyone know if any of the vacant lots along the GoldLine on Elizabeth Ave. are available for development or are all of them owned wholly by Novant & CPCC?

I know something about this was mentioned prior as a reason for the vacant lots - but do those two entities own everything on the corridor or are developers just waiting for the StreetCar to actually go somewhere?

• 2 weeks later...

I drove by the empty lot where Bayou Kitchen and La Ti Das were located on 7th.  When I moved from here, that was a cool little corner.  It has been just an empty lot for quite some time.  Does anyone know, what has happened here.  I hate when developers do this.  It has probably been explained here, but I'm to lazy to read previous posts.  Has the project been scrapped.  

I drove by the empty lot where Bayou Kitchen and La Ti Das were located on 7th.  When I moved from here, that was a cool little corner.  It has been just an empty lot for quite some time.  Does anyone know, what has happened here.  I hate when developers do this.  It has probably been explained here, but I'm to lazy to read previous posts.  Has the project been scrapped.  

Project was not scrapped, but they are tryin to make it feasible. It was a pretty nice but was downscaled out of profitability by opposition

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We got word via the Elizabeth newsletter that King’s College is closing this month. As it is a for-profit college it isn’t particularly surprising news. BUT the college has 7 parcels of land located between Independence  Park and 5th St (across from the Presbyterian parking deck) all zoned O-2 for office space. The entire campus is already under contract and will close in early 2019. No further details were shared. 

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, sakami said:

We got word via the Elizabeth newsletter that King’s College is closing this month. As it is a for-profit college it isn’t particularly surprising news. BUT the college has 7 parcels of land located between Independence  Park and 5th St (across from the Presbyterian parking deck) all zoned O-2 for office space. The entire campus is already under contract and will close in early 2019. No further details were shared. 

Wow, and I had no idea that King's College was 117 years old, the first private college in Charlotte.

King's College in Charlotte will close after 117 years | Charlotte Observer

image.png

• Sad 7