Elizabeth Projects (7th St, Elizabeth Ave, etc)

JunktionFET

Went to 1527 las night with some friends. Nice place and everyone working was very friendly and attentive. Seems that soon they will gain some momentum...Volare will move from the corner of Providence and Laurel to the space on the ground floor of 1527. When they open the new restaurant, they will serve lunch and dinner. They're even toying with the idea of serving tapas upstairs in Loft 1527 using the Volare kitchen.

This is a great place to relax. The skyline view is beautiful. Highly recommend a visit.

Edited by Miesian Corners

CPCC has begun construction of the parking deck at 4th and Independence.

It is now leveled and fenced in, and they have construction equipment on site.

This is mostly a boring project, but it will have street retail along 4th, and will provide parking infrastructure that will support the other Elizabeth Ave improvements.

http://www.charlotteviewpoint.org/magazine.html

The 1/06 edition of Charlotte Viewpoint has an interview with Mr. Grubb, with an update on the Liz Ave project.

For one, he says NoFo and Carpe Diem are experiencing best ever sales! That is amazing, and will bode very well for this whole district.

Apparently, as expected, Whole Foods will be built this year. They are working with BK on their relocation. I think it is great that BK is more receptive to the urban district this is becoming than Wendy's was half a mile away.

This is going to be a big year for that area, considering the streetscape project, the CPCC parking deck and other campus improvements, the Presby expansion at 5th and Hawthorne, and the building of the anchor tenant Whole Foods.

We just need to get construction material prices to deflate a bit so we can get high density residential there.

That deck will fit in more architecturally with the other new CPCC buildings. I'm really surprised to see that the windows look more like windows than typical in a parking deck. I wonder if there will be any glass, or whether it will just look like a burnt out building.

• 2 weeks later...

I thougt that just for fun I would post a link to the theatre chain I would like to see Grubb try to bring into Elizabeth Ave. This chain shows indie films and seems to tailor its films in each theatre to really fit the city it's in. They have theatres in both large and small markets and the closest to Charlotte they've gotten is Atlanta.

Landmark Theatres

That looks like a cool company and seems to have locations in cities that are peer to Charlotte.

One thing I wonder, though, is if this could be a case where we should be careful what we wish for. I'd hate to see Manor go under from competition of a brand new indie theater a mile away. If it can survive, and Regal really won't put a regular theater in Elizabeth, then Landmark looks like a great option.

That looks like a cool company and seems to have locations in cities that are peer to Charlotte.

One thing I wonder, though, is if this could be a case where we should be careful what we wish for. I'd hate to see Manor go under from competition of a brand new indie theater a mile away. If it can survive, and Regal really won't put a regular theater in Elizabeth, then Landmark looks like a great option.

That's a good point.

Good riddance to that old building. Does anyone know how big the new presby building will be? Will it extend to the next side street, I think it is Travis? As for Grubb, I'm glad he is renovating the old store fronts but at this point there is less streetscape density than when he started. When will we start seeing him build over what he tore down?

Well I hear that the Burger King issue may finally be resolved, so they may begin work on the new BK by this summer. They can demolish the old one once the new one opens and then start work on the Whole Foods (hopefully by year end).

As far as the new presby office building, I think it is going to be 120,000 sq. ft. (roughly double the size of the current building). I believe it will be about 6-7 stories tall, but not extend down to Travis. Instead a parking deck will be built behind it, and that parking deck will eventually be wrapped with apartments.

^^Aw, that's too bad. I kinda liked that old Hawthorne Medical Building. It had a nice, clean design and I really liked the way it met the street... right up to the sidewalk and all big glass good for peering into the shops that used to be there. The only ones I remember are a framing/art supply store and a small gallery. They may have been one and the same. Oh well... movin' on.

^^Aw, that's too bad. I kinda liked that old Hawthorne Medical Building. It had a nice, clean design and I really liked the way it met the street... right up to the sidewalk and all big glass good for peering into the shops that used to be there. The only ones I remember are a framing/art supply store and a small gallery. They may have been one and the same. Oh well... movin' on.

I, too, am kind of sad to see that building go. I grew up in Elizabeth. Man has that neighborhood changed...

This is pure rumor so take it for what it's worth but I heard that CPCC is considering turning the Auto Tech building on 4th St. into classrooms and film studio space for their growing film making programs. This would of course be after the Auto program moves into it's new home at the Levine Campus. It does make since seeing as how CPCC's current filming studio will probably be demolished whenever Pease goes.

Edited by appatone

• 4 weeks later...

This might not be the right forum but can someone provide more information to me about the Cherry neighborhood ? It's so close to downtown but I drove through it the other day and there are about 25-30 houses borded up. Is this area going to be rennovated ? I would consider buying a home in this area but I can't understand why it's not starting to change. Especially with the new midtown square. Thoughts ? It looks like the Cherry neighborhood board owns most of the houses there. Anyone ?

This isn't a real estate site, so steer clear of those types of questions. As for the neighborhood turning around, there has been a great deal of political pressure to avoid 'gentrification' in Cherry. The neighborhood owns many of the buildings for this very purpose, to keep long term residents there, and to avoid the neighborhood being absorbed into a white middle or upper class gentrification initiative.

The neighborhood seemed to fight some elements of change nearby, but later changed to support projects like the Midtown Redevelopment.

EDIT: It appears you asked the same question on the Midtown Redevelopment thread, so here is some parallel discussion:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...ndpost&p=370883