Elizabeth Projects (7th St, Elizabeth Ave, etc)

JunktionFET

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

those are parking decks for 2 different medical office buildings and parking is a must at medical office buildings especially in an area with no transit except buses nearby. 

Should have had better street level interaction. IDK why these ever get approved in current form. Even hospitals should be adequately interacting with a neighborhood.

@Dandy Chiggens appreciate your reliable downvote, bud. Keep it up. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Should have had better street level interaction. IDK why these ever get approved in current form. Even hospitals should be adequately interacting with a neighborhood.

You are complaining about parking for people needing it to get medical treatment.  Your desire for a Panera Bread doesn't take priority here.  You're come off as extremely privileged and out of touch.   Grow up.

20 hours ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

I agree this is an issue and will become much more of an issue especially in Dilworth when Atrium (CMC) tears down all of their homes on assembled property between main campus  and East Blvd.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, archiham04 said:

I agree this is an issue and will become much more of an issue especially in Dilworth when Atrium (CMC) tears down all of their homes on assembled property between main campus  and East Blvd.

I'm fairly surprised these have ever been approved. Its in an area of increased density and not AT ALL far from the Yellow line. We can do much better than more than a full city block of parking decks with no street interaction.

24 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

I'm fairly surprised these have ever been approved. Its in an area of increased density and not AT ALL far from the Yellow line. We can do much better than more than a full city block of parking decks with no street interaction.

The original zoning for that block was filed in 2007, at which point the gold line was just wishful thinking.  That plan appeared to give them the option of building a 12 story garage there, so I am personally glad that they opted for the much more modest 7 story version.  I would take it as a fair trade off if that the new garage eliminates the need for all of that bombed-out surface parking on Elizabeth, but I doubt that dream goes anywhere. 

4 hours ago, teeg said:

The original zoning for that block was filed in 2007, at which point the gold line was just wishful thinking.  That plan appeared to give them the option of building a 12 story garage there, so I am personally glad that they opted for the much more modest 7 story version.  I would take it as a fair trade off if that the new garage eliminates the need for all of that bombed-out surface parking on Elizabeth, but I doubt that dream goes anywhere. 

In 2007 the streetcar line had very developed plans and pricing... it was far from wishful thinking.  It was definitely top of mind for everyone in that area.

The surface parking around Elizabeth is not there due to the demand for parking.  It is there only because the Hospital wants expansion options, and parking is the cheapest way to produce revenue, and easiest tenant to evict.

2 hours ago, archiham04 said:

In 2007 the streetcar line had very developed plans and pricing... it was far from wishful thinking.  It was definitely top of mind for everyone in that area.

This article reminds me of why I was a little let down by the promise of the Eastland Mall streetcar (as a resident of that area).  

January 2007 Charlotte Observer

LAY TRACK. WAIT YEARS. RIDE - PLAN: STREETCARS TO ROLL A DECADE AFTER RAILS IN PLACE SOME PERPLEXED AS LIGHT RAIL GETS HIGHER PRIORITY

In the next two years, the city will install streetcar tracks on Elizabeth Avenue, expanding urban growth beyond uptown and introducing a new type of transportation to the city. Except for this: Streetcars won't start running until 2019. The full line will open in 2023.

The Metropolitan Transit Commission voted late last year to put the streetcar behind light rail to University City and commuter rail to the Lake Norman area.
The unanimous decision stunned streetcar proponents from Beatties Ford Road to Johnson & Wales University to Central Avenue. Now, communities and developers who had hitched their hopes to the rails share puzzlement and frustration as they contemplate opening dates ripped from a Jetson family calendar.
Without the streetcar, they wonder, what comes next?

• Thanks 1

As far as I see it, 3rd and 4th st over there by Elizabeth and Myers Parks is a goner in terms of what we'd all like to see. 

The roads were already major arteries for the core of commuter-heavy South Charlotte, and the various hospital, medical, and random professional buildings built as urban suburban office parks have rendered these two stretches unsavabke for some time. 

On 6/9/2019 at 12:04 PM, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

I agree. I think a coffee shop, some retail, office space, or some other sort of active ground floor use would dramatically improve the area.  Providence will never be Tryon Street, but it can at least be a pleasant experience to walk down.

• Like 1

I was just looking at Polaris and noticed that 7th Street between Lamar and Clement has been assembled by one owner (SLT Commercial Properties LLC), with the last parcel bought almost a year ago.  Has anyone heard what the plan is here?  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2019 at 7:02 PM, NYtoCLT said:

I was just looking at Polaris and noticed that 7th Street between Lamar and Clement has been assembled by one owner (SLT Commercial Properties LLC), with the last parcel bought almost a year ago.  Has anyone heard what the plan is here?  

I think it has been discussed on here before.  We mapped it on the Development Map.

21 hours ago, archiham04 said:

I think it has been discussed on here before.  We mapped it on the Development Map.

I saw it was mapped as assembled on the development map.  I wasn't sure if anyone had tried to reach out to the developer to figure out what the plan is.  It isn't definitely them, but it looks like there is an SLT Properties in Greensboro.

13 minutes ago, NYtoCLT said:

I saw it was mapped as assembled on the development map.  I wasn't sure if anyone had tried to reach out to the developer to figure out what the plan is.  It isn't definitely them, but it looks like there is an SLT Properties in Greensboro.

I reached out to someone on the Elizabeth development committee and as of last year they hadn’t heard anything either. The entire stretch is completely empty of tenants now that Shine Salon moved out. 

• 2 weeks later...