Elizabeth Projects (7th St, Elizabeth Ave, etc)

JunktionFET

20 hours ago, Old Carolinian said:

"This parking garage makes me sad."

Exactly.  The utter thoughtlessness and indifference of the hospital...building a convenient parking deck for patients needing chemotherapy, radiation and surgery for cancer and patients receiving treatment and rehab for heart and vascular disease.

20 hours ago, tozmervo said:

That's an unwarranted response that completely infers indifference to patients and their families when none was implied. There are dozens of ways convenient parking could be located in this project without dominating an entire streetscape. I think it is also realistic to suggest that Novant is over-building parking spaces, just as with our criticisms of the gargantuan parking decks being built in Uptown. There are three other huge parking decks in that photo, not counting the multiple surface lots. 

Yes I was obviously not implying they shouldn't have convenient parking. Saying that, it seems strange to me that they would building a parking garage and not connect it in some way to the building.  I imagine they could make a bridge but I don't see an opening for that in the building.

If you are constructing a building and parking deck from the ground up, not having a direct entrance, especially for sick and elderly folk seems like poor planning. So now anyone accessing this will have to cross the 'main' drive entrance? While people try to turn in on 4th and back up onto the road?  I'm also a bit surprised they aren't creating a left access entrance off of queens coming from 4th.

Levin Cancer 2 that just finished connects direct with and existing parking deck and the original LCI all without using the street level for patient safety and convenience.

On another note, I am thankful this building doesn't look like that other tower in the background. That thing is hideous. :sick:

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed permits posted on the glass of the empty space in the Sandwich Max/Dollar General center tonight. I took a look and saw it said 5/3 Bank. Is there a chance this is just the name of the bank providing financing and not the new tenant? It would be so disappointing to see a bank branch in this location. 

22 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

That'll be really great for Elizabeth. The brewery is still as of yet unnamed?

It has a name, but It's escaping me at this moment. I'm glad MC posted this though, because it reminds me the owe me an exclusive on this.

3 minutes ago, t_money said:

Where did the rendering come from? Didn't see it in the article. 

As a side note how do you make text blue? I only see font and size, but not color.

Rendering I've had for a while (April), but they asked me not to use in article until they are ready for an announcement. 

23 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

That'll be really great for Elizabeth. The brewery is still as of yet unnamed?

I don’t know about that, it is still a shorter walk for me to Legion than it will be to the new spot. CPCC students and Cherry residents will be able to enjoy it though. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Rendering I've had for a while (April), but they asked me not to use in article until they are ready for an announcement. 

Maybe they'll add their logo to the front. Looks like a nice place overall. Wonder if there is a skyline view from the upper deck area. I hope they building still feels original in some way. 1920's is old and I imagine some good character in that building!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, t_money said:

Maybe they'll add their logo to the front. Looks like a nice place overall. Wonder if there is a skyline view from the upper deck area. I hope they building still feels original in some way. 1920's is old and I imagine some good character in that building!

There is a really great skyline view, it looks over a small parking lot and what was a very low slung junior league warehouse, now CPCC office.

image.thumb.png.d6c8e35555dc19b4a1546b2d08246c9d.png

Think there is any chance they are planning to tear this older parking deck down? I've noticed some work going on around it at the corner of 3rd and Caswell.  Also I thought I saw a sign that said it was closed on the Caswell entrance side? Perhaps it was just utility work though and it is closed because construction is so close.

It would make sense since this new one is bigger. But I think there is a walkway attaching it to the building across Caswell.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
22 hours ago, teeg said:

Also at CPCC, I am pretty sure that they re-opened the garage at 7th and Charlottetowne, just in time for them to fence off the big surface lot on 7th between the garage and Kings.

are they planning a parking deck on the surface lot?  Or is this associated with the stadium renovations?

• 3 weeks later...

From today's (10/22/2019) Charlotte Business Journal - "High profile Elizabeth project among items approved by Charlotte City Council" by Ashley Fahey

Excerpt:  On Monday, the City Council approved "Crescent Communities' petition to allow a 103,500-square-foot office building, with up to 23,000 square feet of retail space, at a prime site in Elizabeth.  Crescent filed the petition earlier this year after Faison Real Estate Dev. and Investments years-long process to rezone the land at Seventh and Caswell Streets.  Faison has since exited the development business but is working with Crescent on the new plan, which nixes residential uses and includes office and retail space.  The Elizabeth Community Association ultimately came out to support Crescent's plan at the petition's public hearing earlier this year."

Rendering by BB+M Architecture 

Image result for image of crescent communities building at caswell and pecan streets charlotte nc

• Like 4