JunktionFET

Elizabeth Projects (7th St, Elizabeth Ave, etc)

Does anybody know anything about the NAI tower on 3rd/4th/Baldwin? Somebody in the Cherry FB group posted that, according to Assistant Director of Planning Ed McKinney, the city has already received from the developer the $250K for Cherry neighborhood improvements that they promised to help get the project done. I was surprised to hear this because I would have thought they wouldn't pay out unless they were going to build, but maybe it was just promised for the rezoning and not for the building.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Vitamin_N said:

Does anybody know anything about the NAI tower on 3rd/4th/Baldwin? Somebody in the Cherry FB group posted that, according to Assistant Director of Planning Ed McKinney, the city has already received from the developer the $250K for Cherry neighborhood improvements that they promised to help get the project done. I was surprised to hear this because I would have thought they wouldn't pay out unless they were going to build, but maybe it was just promised for the rezoning and not for the building.

Probably a condition of the rezoning rather than start of construction.  That is what I would think. 

• Like 2

On 8/3/2019 at 9:15 PM, gman430 said:

fullsizeoutput-4e5.jpg

This parking garage makes me sad. There's already a 5 story garage literally next to it. I've never been to Novant, but I feel like there is plenty of parking as is?

On 8/3/2019 at 9:15 PM, gman430 said:

fullsizeoutput-4e8.jpg

Is this CPCC? New student center?

• Like 1

"This parking garage makes me sad."

Exactly.  The utter thoughtlessness and indifference of the hospital...building a convenient parking deck for patients needing chemotherapy, radiation and surgery for cancer and patients receiving treatment and rehab for heart and vascular disease.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 9

1 minute ago, Old Carolinian said:

Exactly.  The utter thoughtlessness and indifference of the hospital...building a convenient parking deck for patients needing chemotherapy, radiation and surgery for cancer and patients receiving treatment and rehab for heart and vascular disease.

I think we can all agree that parking is needed for hospitals, especially convenient parking for patients.  I also think we can all agree that parking decks can be eye sores and should be designed in a way to be hidden or at least encourage more activity at street level.   At least for this parking deck, they did leave space fronting Queens Road so maybe something such as retail can be built there in the not so distant future. 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Old Carolinian said:

20 hours ago, tozmervo said:

That's an unwarranted response that completely infers indifference to patients and their families when none was implied. There are dozens of ways convenient parking could be located in this project without dominating an entire streetscape. I think it is also realistic to suggest that Novant is over-building parking spaces, just as with our criticisms of the gargantuan parking decks being built in Uptown. There are three other huge parking decks in that photo, not counting the multiple surface lots. 

Yes I was obviously not implying they shouldn't have convenient parking. Saying that, it seems strange to me that they would building a parking garage and not connect it in some way to the building.  I imagine they could make a bridge but I don't see an opening for that in the building.

If you are constructing a building and parking deck from the ground up, not having a direct entrance, especially for sick and elderly folk seems like poor planning. So now anyone accessing this will have to cross the 'main' drive entrance? While people try to turn in on 4th and back up onto the road?  I'm also a bit surprised they aren't creating a left access entrance off of queens coming from 4th.

Levin Cancer 2 that just finished connects direct with and existing parking deck and the original LCI all without using the street level for patient safety and convenience.

On another note, I am thankful this building doesn't look like that other tower in the background. That thing is hideous. :sick: