Elizabeth Projects (7th St, Elizabeth Ave, etc)

JunktionFET

Do ya'll talk to people like this in person? For this to be an urbanist forum, there's a lot of keyboard warriors who talk tough on here. Relax and use Google. It would've taken less time than it took to write out that post.

I will admit…at that point forget the screenshot and just post a link lol. <—( I would say that say that in person. Also: there’s no sass or snark, I promise!).
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Rumblings of another attempt to bring Historic District status to Elizabeth.   Article says there’s an ECA meeting tonight about it.  Article doesn’t reveal much actual news, just that debate is swirling again and the usual arguments for and against by residents.  There was a vote back when I lived in Elizabeth in the very late 90’s that failed, in addition to a few more since then, I believe.  There’s also a link to a video of a 2hr zoom meeting if anyone is dealing with insomnia.  

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/development/article273122760.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

This post is purely by my memory and selective as it may be in the proportion and substance of the events:

The Dilworth Historic District was mooted in the late 70's. the architectural analysis was done in 1978 and can be found here, among other locations:

https://digital.ncdcr.gov/digital/collection/p16062coll47/id/10214/

There was resistance, of course, especially from those in the curvilinear area such as Berkely, Mount Vernon, Romany  and the like. Those owners had the more expensive, substantial homes. In 1980 Murray Whisnant, a local architect, owned the two lots at 430 Park Avenue across from Dilworth School. He proposed and then built seven condominiums there in a ski chalet/moderne (my term) style. It was at this point that every owner realized that such development could occur next to them. This accelerated the approval  though there were certainly other factors present. Such decisions often turn on a specific event that crystallizes the issues at play.

The site below shows Murray in the interior of his condominium home, the only one of the seven in his project that faces park Avenue directly.

https://www.ncmodernist.org/whisnant.htm

(I have thought several times over the years that a focussed individual or group could purchase the condominiums and build 2-3 homes today on the property and perhaps make the financial arrangement work. Similar to how Murray did when he used one unit as his home.)

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, teeg said:

I appreciate the update.  It's surprising that the petition requirement is only 51%.  That seems like a very low bar.  

I agree.  Considering how much it impacts people, I would be really upset if half my neighbors had the ability to force my property into being a historic district.  That said, I think the 51% is just to get the issue before city council.  So City Council would then need to approve it.

Edited by NYtoCLT

1 hour ago, atlrvr said:

I used to live in a bungalow on 8th St.  Now I live in Dilworth within the Historic District.  Elizabeth was/is very inclusionary.  Many things that neighbors did to be inclusionary would require HDC approval, and many would be denied.  In Dilworth, neighbors actively patrol looking for infractions.  There is a real resistance to any evolution.

My opinion, after experiencing both, is a historic district would take away the free-spirit vibe of the neighborhood.  One "vigilant" neighbor could change everything.

If it goes in front of the council, with it's current make-up, it will definitely pass.  The idea of additional governmental control is too compelling to pass up.  But HDC is far from a progressive institution, it's regressive in practice.   The only chance is to remind council how this crushes affordability.

Ask the 30+ year  homeowner on Wilmore Dr who submitted for an port cochere above her front door.  It was hand sketched submittal.  The commission rudely dismissed her and told her she needed to hire an architect to submit professional elevations.  She asked how to hire an architect. 

I don't know about the dynamics of council but my hope is that if the ECA opposes it that will carry some weight with council.  Maybe not though.  If it does go before council I hope they do take into consideration how this will negatively impact affordability.  Braxton seems to be pretty YIMBY at this point and aware of the impact limiting supply has on price so hopefully he would help get the point across.

And there would DEFINITELY be some neighbors who actively look for infractions.  That was one of the points the ECA president raised.  If you read the articles in the Newsletter by the proponents of historic district designation, they basically say as much.  My hope is that since at this point the neighborhood has evolved where the old bungalows make up less than half of the neighborhood it won't be that popular.  It would be odd to be in one of the (many) new builds and support historic district designation.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/18/2023 at 1:26 PM, NYtoCLT said:

And there would DEFINITELY be some neighbors who actively look for infractions.  That was one of the points the ECA president raised.  If you read the articles in the Newsletter by the proponents of historic district designation, they basically say as much.  My hope is that since at this point the neighborhood has evolved where the old bungalows make up less than half of the neighborhood it won't be that popular.  It would be odd to be in one of the (many) new builds and support historic district designation.  

Fully agree - as an owner of one of the new builds.  

• Like 1

It’s a shame to hear that the local historic district process doesn’t seem to be working well in Charlotte. I have had a lot of involvement with the HPC in Greensboro over the years. One point I stress is that if property owners want to ensure the survival of the neighborhood, they need to welcome folks who want to invest in the historic properties. Yes, it needs to be good, sensitive, and appropriate investment, but you can’t turn the neighborhood into a museum. People have to be able to live 21st century lives in their old homes. I think that by and large, we have a good balance here. Most people who buy in the historic districts do so precisely because of the character of the neighborhoods, and they want to do projects that enhance that character.

To address another point above, I do think there is a lot of value in protecting the neighborhood as a district, rather than just the individual buildings. In fact, I would argue that the neighborhood setting is almost more important than any individual architecture, save for a few standout examples. These 100-year-old neighborhoods are repositories of a type of small-scale, people-oriented urbanism that America has almost completely forgotten how to build. The street grids, small lots, sidewalks, and relatively de-emphasized automobile infrastructure are critical to preserve. They serve as a reminder that we can build cities in a different and better way than the status quo of the suburban experiment.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Bat'leth said:

Well said, about protecting the neighborhood setting. Recently a neighborhood email went out about a house being built at Pecan Avenue & 9th St. The photo attached to it shows a 3 story blank wall crammed up against the  1 story house next to it.

I'll go out on a limb and say that -- if it was in a city historic district -- elements of this would not have made it past the Charlotte HDC (they would spend an entire meeting on those windows).  But parts of it might.  Height, setbacks, and side yard requirements are all dictated by the underlying zoning, not so much whether it looks like it fits in with the neighborhood setting.  And even if those side yard requirements were not spelled out in the city ordinances, building right up to the property line is practically a historic feature of these old Charlotte neighborhoods.  If you look around on Polaris 3G you can find all sorts of examples of that in Elizabeth, Plaza Midwood, Dilworth (including the cute green house next door to that new tower on Pecan, if I am looking at it correctly).  

Edited by teeg
minor typo
  • Like 1

My view formed over decades and pre and post HDC in Dilworth is that the HDC is good at preventing the sort of construction  seen above and other McMansions and ski chalet moderne condos (as I named them). Such absolutely nonconforming structures are incompatible with the sense and structure of the neighborhood. 

As to existing structures then the HDC can be seen and felt as an impediment to improvements. These tensions are implicit in the HDC mission. HDC, in my experience, is most assertive to concerns of the neighbors of such structures and changes. I knew owners who contested plans for new structures that were incompatible with the rules and spirit of the HDC. They were the affected parties. As with all civic life, the first layer of responsibility is the citizen himself. There is no doubt in m mind that the designation prevented the loss of fabric of the neighborhood. It was a different neighborhood then than Elizabeth is now. 

I wonder if @KJHburg or other agent has had an experience where a buyer was reluctant, resistant, or encouraged to invest in such a neighborhood when the HD designation must be declared?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

My view formed over decades and pre and post HDC in Dilworth is that the HDC is good at preventing the sort of construction  seen above and other McMansions and ski chalet moderne condos (as I named them). Such absolutely nonconforming structures are incompatible with the sense and structure of the neighborhood. 

As to existing structures then the HDC can be seen and felt as an impediment to improvements. These tensions are implicit in the HDC mission. HDC, in my experience, is most assertive to concerns of the neighbors of such structures and changes. I knew owners who contested plans for new structures that were incompatible with the rules and spirit of the HDC. They were the affected parties. As with all civic life, the first layer of responsibility is the citizen himself. There is no doubt in m mind that the designation prevented the loss of fabric of the neighborhood. It was a different neighborhood then than Elizabeth is now. 

I wonder if @KJHburg or other agent has had an experience where a buyer was reluctant, resistant, or encouraged to invest in such a neighborhood when the HD designation must be declared?

I have heard it both ways some like being in a Historic district and others want no part of it.  Same with HOAs too some like their protections but don't want overreach and if a neighborhood has a reputation for a tough HOA some will look elsewhere.  

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Bat&#x27;leth said:

Well said, about protecting the neighborhood setting. Recently a neighborhood email went out about a house being built at Pecan Avenue & 9th St. The photo attached to it shows a 3 story blank wall crammed up against the  1 story house next to it.

5.jpg

4.jpg

I think the thing about this house that is worse than it not fitting in with the character and massing of similar structures is that this giant structure (you should see the side view from the street) is for one person/ family. Structures of this size could easily fit 2 to 3 units. You go down 8th and 9th street and there are large condo buildings that fit perfectly among single-family homes. I would be embarrassed owning this thing. These are probably the same people who complain about new apartment buildings being too large.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Nathan2 said:

I think the thing about this house that is worse than it not fitting in with the character and massing of similar structures is that this giant structure (you should see the side view from the street) is for one person/ family. Structures of this size could easily fit 2 to 3 units. You go down 8th and 9th street and there are large condo buildings that fit perfectly among single-family homes. I would be embarrassed owning this thing. These are probably the same people who complain about new apartment buildings being too large.  

My understanding is that a local developer is building this as a spec house. I don't know if they have a buyer already

On 3/21/2023 at 10:31 AM, Nathan2 said:

I think this seems fine.  A lot of people (and families in particular) want larger homes. I left Elizabeth for Plaza-Belmont partially because I had a few kids and needed more space.

The larger house doesn't hurt the neighboring homes (even the house next door).  Contrasting styles/sizes makes an area interesting and I think it is likely that in 20 years people will love the juxtaposition.  

• Confused 2