Creating a community

reednavy05

In this new year of 2007, development in the Gulch is starting to speed up faster than Ferrari on the Autobahn. The ICON is rising up, Terrazzo is to break ground within a few months, Velocity is coming, and Pine Street Flats as well. Numerous shops, cafes, boutiques, restaurants, bars, and nightclubs are adding to this area known as the Gulch. Squeezed between I-65 and the CSX railyard in the heart of Nashville, an up-coming metropolis of the South. The City of Nashville-Davidson is planning parks and other green spaces in this area that is currently one giant 30 acre construction area. By 2010, between 1,200 and 1,900 people with be able to call this special district their home. ICON and Terrazzo are marketed for people with more money, with Pine Street Flats and Velocity aimed more towards those that want to live in the center of it all, just with not as much money. The Gulch is setting the pace for which urban development will continue at in Nashville's core thru the very least 2010.

The Tennessean's West End/Vandy section

http://my.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...30505/701310380

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live in the Gulch and in a few years when some of these projects get done parking is going to become a major issue. I know that most of these projects have their own parking built in, but there will be even more people in the area once the retail portions come on line and the Gulch becomes even more of a destination. On certain nights when there are big shows at City Hall, parking is already difficult. I wonder if a parking garage might be planned sometime in the near future, because it will be needed. Especially since a lot of the parking right now is on lots that will be developed soon.

Also would love to see parks/greenways thing come to fruition. I know that part of the master plan envisioned a greeenway from the Gulch to the Bicentennial Mall, following along the railroad tracks. Also if the city does things right then one day the Gulch will be a major hub of some type of light rail transit. The potential is great and in 15 years or so the Gulch will be more the western part of downtown instead of just on the outside of it.

^I think the point is that, because retail is planned to be [and is already becoming] a major component and attraction to the Gulch, parking will need to be provided for visitors. City Hall attracts huge crowds for concerts. The Gulch is not just for the people who live there.

Also would love to see parks/greenways thing come to fruition. I know that part of the master plan envisioned a greeenway from the Gulch to the Bicentennial Mall, following along the railroad tracks. Also if the city does things right then one day the Gulch will be a major hub of some type of light rail transit. The potential is great and in 15 years or so the Gulch will be more the western part of downtown instead of just on the outside of it.

I was just at Montmartre in Paris last Christmas (2005)--what a beautiful spot. I really like the idea of closing that part of Laurel Street. It is certainly not a road of absolute necessity. Also the property just to the North of Laurel House is primed to be sold and developed (and half of it is a parking lot which is almost as ugly as the building itself). I agree, that whole couple of blocks could be a really pleasing pedestrian friendly area.

BTW--I also noticed lots of good examples of pedestrian friendly shopping in Georgetown and Washington D.C. (which downtown reminded me a lot of Paris).

I rode a tram system like that one that goes up a hill in both Lugano, Switzerland, and Como, Italy, and they were affordable and very cool. I think that a system like that could be a very COOL way to connect the Gulch with DT proper.

PS I wonder if they could figure out a way that after it went up the hill it could continue on its own little tracks further into Sobro?

So where will that purported (by John Doorman) "stick frame" hotel go up in relation to all this? Is there any reason to believe the rumor?

On the same topic, I think a hotel would do well in that area in a few years. As such, the W could be sitting in a perfect location. About 20-30 days ago, the rumor on this forum said that the W would be announced in 30-45 days. Anybody heard any more on this?

I'm not quite understanding the need for stairs. Aren't there plenty of streets with sidewalks going out of the Gultch?

If stairs like that were built at public expense, I would say no. Even if Gultch residents had to take a longer route to get to DT without steps - wouldn't that be a good thing to help reduce the obiesity healthcare costs?

Those little elevators should never be allowed. Think of the ozone depleating energy it would take to power them!

Wouldn't this little street that's the topic of discussion provide vehicular access to the adjacent blocks of land that will inevitably be developed? It may be 'little used' now, but if you have 5 to 20 story buildings on either side my guess is it would provide a required access point for vehicles. Just an observation. I'm not knocking your idea.

I'm not sure where you guys are contemplating these stairs but I think you can pretty much count on the entire block from Demonbreun to 12th avenue to 11th avenue being one big podium for a future development once that property becomes available. I think you'll see the podium be 3 (12th) to 6 (11th) floors of parking wrapped with retail/residential and/or office. And the podium would probably support one or two major towers of office and/or residential similar to what is happening on the Eakin site. I think this is clearly the highest and best use of this site.

I'm not quite understanding the need for stairs. Aren't there plenty of streets with sidewalks going out of the Gultch?

If stairs like that were built at public expense, I would say no. Even if Gultch residents had to take a longer route to get to DT without steps - wouldn't that be a good thing to help reduce the obiesity healthcare costs?

Those little elevators should never be allowed. Think of the ozone depleating energy it would take to power them!

Wouldn't this little street that's the topic of discussion provide vehicular access to the adjacent blocks of land that will inevitably be developed? It may be 'little used' now, but if you have 5 to 20 story buildings on either side my guess is it would provide a required access point for vehicles. Just an observation. I'm not knocking your idea.

• 2 months later...

More on my suggestion about creating a 'place' on Laurel Street in the form of a pedestrian friendly street.

I recently saw this in downtown Chattanoga:

suntrust036.jpg

Note the incline elevator:

suntrust037.jpg

This 'place' connects the downtown entertainment district with the Arts District at the top of the hill. The incline elevator allows mothers with strollers and physically challenged people to climb the hill.

This concept would fit perfectly into the Gulch on Laurel Street:

suntrust051-1.jpg

If the City wants to place a park in the neighborhood, the Chattanooga incline and stairs would become a 'signature' place that identifies the gulch, not unlike the the way the Musica statue identifies the roundabout/Music Row area.

• 1 month later...

Archived