Redevelopment of High Point Rd/Lee Street

cityboi

It's an amazing transformation from the old HoJo and Hi-Rise Hotel. Though I'm wary against the future of High Point Road since the video mentioned that the DoubleTree type development was what they wanted to see more of. :unsure: Seems like more chic-suburban mess for the poor stretch of road if that is their plan.

I wouldnt mind seeing a high-rise row along High Point Road though :) anything that they can do to revitalize this stretch will be great because parts of it are going down hill the way Randleman Road did.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

Here is one section of High Point Road. It looks like draft plans have been released. One plan calls for a 10-story hotel near the northeast corner of I-40/High Point Road which would mean there would be three high-rise hotels at the I-40/High Point Road interchange. The Sheraton and Double Tree are the other two. Also Row homes are being planned in the vicinity

1314Site.jpg

The city seems to also be looking at converting the old Canada Dry Building into exhibition/entertainment space for the Greensboro Coliseum Complex

MOD EDIT:

Please scale down the images next time before you post. Due to size of the images, it takes a while for the page to load. Thanks!

It's a decent looking plan, but I really wish they would let some of the buildings abut each other once in awhile and form an actual street wall. It looks really silly when they put these little incomplete clusters of 4-6 row houses all around a block and never let any of them touch each other.

It's also curious that they didn't include Stamey's in these plans. I understand these are just preliminary, but I can't help but be a little concerned that the final plans aren't going to take the community into consideration. Not including such a well known local institution into the plan seems like a large oversight.

I have to agree with JerseyBoy, there is WAY too much accomodation being made in these plans for parking lots, it seems we could build parking structures in this area, maybe even with ground level commercial space as well as integrate parking into planned structures to maximize density.

Greensboro and it's neighboring cities in the Triad must start getting away from the idea of neverending seas of asphalt to park our SUV's and Minivans.

Half of the images aren't displaying in my browser, so commenting on the four I do see (images 1,3,4,5) - the first one, that sits just north of I-40, is pretty bad - it is little more than strip mining with parking off the road, and an internal focus to the development isolated "inside" the ring of buildings that has nothing to do with what's going on outside. Then there is the virtual sea of parking that like a sea surrounds the "land" of the buildings. Two sides of a structure, at a minimum, that are pedestrian accessible only would be a great law to pass here.

The next 3 I can see are actually not that bad and must be the result of a completely different person. They are awash in asphalt true, but they actually address the roads, and try to pack parking in the centers of structures, well hidden away. Kudos. Still though, I've lived in apartment complexes like this, and while the one face is great, the back side that faces parking lots is not, and has an emotional vacancy, a lot will depend on the actual implementation. Nothing can be done about this when the backside sits against train tracks though, better to run structures perpendicular to them to minimize this odd feeling. If the tracks ever had the chance to run people cars or to parallel a future LRT line (side by side) then I'd say develop this now with that future use in mind.

Here is the actual city link for anyone having problems viewing the plans: http://www.greensboro-nc.gov/departments/P...lanconcepts.htm

I will be interested to see what the actual time frame is for this project to even get off the ground. Obviously the final vision will take a very long time to complete.

I agree that the seas of parking lots take away from some of the aesthetics and don't help the environmental aspects of this project but at least they put the buildings on the street front with parking behind them. I'd almost rather see parking lots than some of what is around this area now. I'm not sure what they would do with the extra land if they didn't put in the parking lots. I am more concerned with the amount of retail they have designated for this corridor. I don't think Greensboro can handle much more retail, especially this area of town. This redevelopment will directly compete with retail space downtown and Wendover. It will take a huge influx of people and jobs to make a full corridor project like this work long term.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Greensboro is buying the Canada Dry property as well as the adjacent Coliseum Inn property to have in there 'future land bank.' Plans for some of the land to be developed for future coliseum use have been discussed, mainly parking decks!!

It also seems that High Point Rd. is getting a lot of attention due to several recent violent crimes including homicide. Business are reporting fewer customers and the police are putting together a rushed plan to try to reduce incidents here.

FOX8 Article on Canada Dry Property/High Point Rd.

• 3 months later...

Thought I would provide an update on the continuing effort to revitalize High Point Rd/Lee Street.

1. Fulton Place Apartments

Berkley Hall Construction opened up Fulton Place, an 86 unit student apartment complex back in August at the corner of West Lee and Fulton Streets. The development cost $12 million, and is geared towards UNCG's growing student body. Drive by sometime and see for yourself. All the parking is in the rear so the buildings front the street very nicely. Visit the complex's website here.

2. 3-Story mixed use

3. 5-Story $10million mixed use at the corner of South Aycock and West Lee Street

These last two projects, both of which remain yet-to-be-named, were mentioned in this October 24, 2009 Biz Journal article. The first project, the 3-Story mixed use, was also mentioned in this other Biz Journal article, which stated that land had already been purchased, design made, and rezoning was underway. The article said construction "could" start in november. I don't know if it has or hasn't yet. Perhaps someone could do a "drive-by."

The other project, the 5-Story $10 million, has already signed several retail tenants, including Dunkin Donuts, for the bottom floor. The top floors are apartments. The last time I drove back (back in December) there was signage already on the property.

Both of these projects are planned to have parking in the rear to comply with the city's reinvestment plan and streetscape for High Point Rd. / Lee Street.

Overall, I think good progress is being made in this once blighted area. As a UNCG alum, I always thought that the University would be able to have a positive impact on Lee Street. here's hoping both of these projects come through and that others follow.

Sorry. No photos.

As Cityboi mentioned back in August, the City did indeed unveil its High Point Road / West Lee Street Corridor Plan this fall. The plan was presented to the City Council, which approved the plan on December 16th following public hearings. The final draft totals 144 pages and can be read here.

It touches on everything from continued development near UNCG, adaptive reuse for historic structures, and even the incorporation of commuter rail.

It will take years to fully revitalize Lees St/High Point Rd. The problem I see is that there are business owners in run down buildings and there is nothing that can be done about it until they sell their property opening the oportunity for the city to purchase them. For now we'll see a few nice developments and the city can improve the streetscape.

It will take years to fully revitalize Lees St/High Point Rd. The problem I see is that there are business owners in run down buildings and there is nothing that can be done about it until they sell their property opening the oportunity for the city to purchase them. For now we'll see a few nice developments and the city can improve the streetscape.

Maybe with the new developments now starting to be built, property values will increase to the point that some of

these people will sell. This would lead to even more development. However, as history has shown us, property owners would likely be more interested in holding out for even more money and this would stall development. These are the owners who have little interest in making Lee St. a better place and are more interested in making lots of money!

I must respectfully disagree. The city does not have to wait for individual property owners to sell, especially those who own blighted properties. This is most evident with the city's recent acquisition of Canada Dry and the Coliseum Inn. While both properties were bought, I'd equate the city's purchase of the Coliseum Inn to more of a "hostile takeover." The city cited "nuisance abatement" in its press release when it announced these property purchases.

My guess is that the city will continue to use nuisance laws to seize and condemn rundown properties.

• 2 weeks later...

A drive down Lee Street today revealed site work being done for one of the mixed use buildings previously mentioned in this forum. The company managing the apartments is Pickering & Company. I visited their website to see if I could get more information about the project but nothing was posted.

I assume their shooting for an Late July/August opening in time for students' return from summer break.

Anyone know anything

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Was in town last weekend for the holiday and drove by the Lofts on Lee project previously mentioned. The project seems to be progressing well (sorry no pictures - forgot my camera). The back building looked to be nearly complete, at least in terms of framing. The front building had not yet started.

In other news, DH Griffin began tearing down the Coliseum Inn. Personally, I'm glad the city council purchased this property. It was crime ridden and an eyesore. Read it here. Hopefully the city will be able to sell the property and have something nice put in.

yes thanks for the photo post. A lot is happening but there is so much to be done. I cant wait to se the 6-story building under construction and its always nice to see a mixed-use midrise development. The Industries for the Blind building will be tore down and that land will be sold as well. One thing that does concern me is having too many different architectural styles with these developments. Im glad they are tearing down coliseum inn as well. it looks like hooker inn

• 7 months later...

Archived