Redevelopment of High Point Rd/Lee Street

cityboi

Sign for Mixed-use at the corner of Lee and Aycock Streets. Dunkin Donuts has already signed a lease for one of the ground floor retail spots

post-22919-1234048209_thumb.jpg

I must say this is quite a large building (4 stories shy of technically being called a high-rise). You think they will be able to lease all the space?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You think they will be able to lease all the space?

Eventually, yes. Obviously, the recession has generated more commercial inventory and depressed rental rates, so there is more competition. I think quick service restaurants and stores like Quiznos, Dunkin Donuts, CVS, etc. would do well in this location. Lee Street certainly has enough traffic to make the right businesses there profitable.

• 7 months later...

city councilman Zack Matheny proposes to change the name of Lee Street and High Point Rd to "Gateway Blvd". I have mixed feelings about it. The corridor has been High Point Rd and Lee St for so long. Everyone is use to it and even if the names were changed locals would still call the corridor by the old names. Also it would cost taxpayers to change the signs and businesses owners would have to change their business cards and letter heads. On the other hand changing the names kinda gives the corridor a fresh start and I do like the name "Gateway" because the name does suggest that the corridor is the gateway into the city/downtown. Plus the research park by the same name would be on the corridor and Greensboro is nicked named The Gate City.

http://www.myfox8.com/news/wghp-story-renaming-hp-road-100728,0,6423731.story

revitalization must go beyond the corridor itself. The main problem is really in adjoining neighborhoods. When you have drug dealers opening up so called upscale restaurants on High Point Rd, adult strip clubs/video stores, pawn shops and murders in the vicinity its difficult to reverse that trend. A name change might create a little buzz and excitement about revitalizing High Point Rd/Lee St but its going to take years before we see real change and I mean more than a decade. But I guess we have to start somewhere. The ACC Hall and Swim Center will help around the coliseum area and I know coliseum officials want a hotel next to the coliseum complex. But there are a number of decaying properties along the corridor and they will continue to decay unless the owners decide to sell and we all know that can take years. Coliseum Blvd looks a little shady as well and I know most coliseum patrons coming from out of town use Coliseum Blvd to get to the coliseum.

city councilman Zack Matheny proposes to change the name of Lee Street and High Point Rd to "Gateway Blvd". I have mixed feelings about it. The corridor has been High Point Rd and Lee St for so long. Everyone is use to it and even if the names were changed locals would still call the corridor by the old names. Also it would cost taxpayers to change the signs and businesses owners would have to change their business cards and letter heads. On the other hand changing the names kinda gives the corridor a fresh start and I do like the name "Gateway" because the name does suggest that the corridor is the gateway into the city/downtown. Plus the research park by the same name would be on the corridor and Greensboro is nicked named The Gate City.

http://www.myfox8.co...0,6423731.story

That means I'm gonna have to change my user name, LOL

• 5 weeks later...

Looks like High Point Rd is one step closer to getting a make over. The city will have most of the over head power lines removed, add wider side walks that will include lamp post street lights along High Point Rd. The city will also add decorative post traffic lights at all the intersections. Its a major step in the right direction because if the city expects to see redevelopmnt along the corridor, it needs to look nice. But Lee Street needs to be done that way as well because High Point Rd/Lee St is a gateway corridor into downtown. Hopefully the plan will include landscaped medians and brick painted crosswalks at intersections like they have downtown. They carve grooves into the asphalt then paint over the asphalt to make it look like brick. I would also like to see a sign ordinace that would prohibit really big and tall signs.

http://www.digtriad.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=147273&catid=57

video

http://www.digtriad.com/video/default.aspx?storyid=147273&cat=57&aid=258836#/Local+News/High+Point+Rd+Improvements+Move+To+Next+Stage/49911607001/49960901001/599602152001

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I found out what the building is thats going up at I-40 and High Point Rd. It will be a 5-story Hampton Inn and Suites and will look something like this. The shape and size of the framing going up looks just like this Hampton Inn and Suites. Its actually a decent height for a 5-story hotel. I've seen 5-story hotels that are not quite as tall. Design wise, its just another cookie cutter hotel. I remember seeing a 12-story hotel at the location on a High Point Rd redevelopment plan.

1246232_14_b.jpg

• 4 months later...

111103_Village_347x163.jpg111103_Village_200x163.jpg

Construction is well underway for UNC Greensboro's mixed-use village on the south side of Lee Street. The buildings going up now are residence halls that will include restaurants and retail on the ground levels. It's really the first phase of a much larger project that will eventually redevelop most of Lee Street between the coliseum and downtown. UNCG's footprint will expand across Lee Street. We are seeing a village style college strip in the making on Lee.

This part of the project is called Spartan Village.

http://www.digtriad....treet-Expansion

pdf link for full renderings of phase 1

http://campusenterpr...r Webpage-1.pdf

Downtown leaders want a University District in downtown and I could see how UNCG's Lee Street project could connect with a downtown University District. A great location for a University District is the southwest quadrant of downtown bound by Freeman Mill Rd, Lee Street, Eugene Street and Spring Garden Street. It's really the last frontier of downtown that needs to be redeveloped. Much of that land consist of old warehouses and vegetation near the railroads. If it is considered a brownfield, it might qualify for federal dollars. I can envision inter-university education buildings and research labs. The great thing is that the downtown greenway would border it. A satellite campus of Gateway University Research Park could be a part of this University District.

gurp1-1.jpg

gurp2.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
The city of Greensboro is considering changing the name of Lee Street and High Point Rd to a new name...something that reflects Greensboro. Something like Gate City Blvd is being considered.  The city is currently in the process of enacting a streetscape plan along the corridor.

Ehh? why do they have to change the name? It seems like it will just be a pain for businesses along the corridor and the locals will still call it High Point Rd. anyway. I've never been a big fan of renaming things to begin with, and there are enough cities with "Renaissance Blvd." or whatever going through the crappy part of town to begin with. How about we wait until the corridor is actually revitalized before we talk about possibly renaming the road.

There are at least 400 businesses along the corridor which are going to have to change their business cards and ads. Thats the bad part. I understand why they want to change the name. Since its a gateway into Greensboro people are questioning why should it be called "High Point" Rd? Having two names on the corridor has been confusing to visitors as well. But I agree. locals are still going to say High Point Rd and Lee St. I'm not thrill about the name being "Gate City"

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Archived