Hartford on the hook for new Magnet School

MadVlad

So Eddie Perez thinks he's the King of Hartford and can do as he wishes, despite regulations and rules that govern everyone. He has decided to have the City push ahead with building the new Magnet School despite the State telling him it isn't an appropriate site and that they'll yank State funding of it, leaving the city on the hook for the whole $38 mill. This guy literally can't play nice with others, why it was him that was fortunate enough to get full Strong-Mayor reform pushed through I have no idea. This is a horrible site for a school, in my opinion, too heavy of traffic, and plenty of other spots near downtown to put that.....

School

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So Eddie Perez thinks he's the King of Hartford and can do as he wishes, despite regulations and rules that govern everyone. He has decided to have the City push ahead with building the new Magnet School despite the State telling him it isn't an appropriate site and that they'll yank State funding of it, leaving the city on the hook for the whole $38 mill. This guy literally can't play nice with others, why it was him that was fortunate enough to get full Strong-Mayor reform pushed through I have no idea. This is a horrible site for a school, in my opinion, too heavy of traffic, and plenty of other spots near downtown to put that.....

School

I am still in the minority here who feel the site is fine for a school. The city will change the traffic patterns there, which needs to be done anyway. I understand why the city has become impatient. The schools needs to get built and they feel they have identified a great site that will provide students with a convenient location for accessing jobs in Downtown and Asylum Hill. The state is dragging their feet hoping he'll get tired of fighting for the site. I still don't think the city has many choices here. Where else would be more practical. I just don't agree that any previously suggested sites are truly better than the one identified location wise. Traffic is an issue that will be addressed.

I am still in the minority here who feel the site is fine for a school. The city will change the traffic patterns there, which needs to be done anyway. I understand why the city has become impatient. The schools needs to get built and they feel they have identified a great site that will provide students with a convenient location for accessing jobs in Downtown and Asylum Hill. The state is dragging their feet hoping he'll get tired of fighting for the site. I still don't think the city has many choices here. Where else would be more practical. I just don't agree that any previously suggested sites are truly better than the one identified location wise. Traffic is an issue that will be addressed.

First, when the City got the rights to the site, there were only 3 choices of what they could do with it: a park, economic development, or public safety complex. The city knew this when they acquired it and still tried to do their own thing. As far as other sites, any site over by Capitol West would be great. Not too much traffic going over there, and PLENTY of room....

Near Capitol West where? Tear down Capitol West for the school? Or in the parking lots under the overpass?

Not a very attractive area, but I guess it's doable. Wouldn't at all be my first choice. Also what land does the city own or control in this area. Lot's of factors to consider. If there was even a remote possibility of an economic development proposal on that site in the foreseable future I'd be with you. Since I don't see that as even a long shot option right now, it's where the school should go.

I'll ask again. How many city controlled vacant lots are there near downtown that can accomodate a school? Until someone actually can give me a concrete answer I'm going to be of the mind that there are not any and that this is probably the best option the city has to meet the needs of this particular magnet school. I wouldn't mind seeing them add a governmental/political studies wing or campus component to the school seeing as how it's so close to the capitol. Or maybe the capitol can donate some of it's surface parking in order to allow school construction on a less congested parcel nearby.

I'll ask again. How many city controlled vacant lots are there near downtown that can accomodate a school? Until someone actually can give me a concrete answer I'm going to be of the mind that there are not any and that this is probably the best option the city has to meet the needs of this particular magnet school. I wouldn't mind seeing them add a governmental/political studies wing or campus component to the school seeing as how it's so close to the capitol. Or maybe the capitol can donate some of it's surface parking in order to allow school construction on a less congested parcel nearby.

OK, but you did not indicate that you knew for sure that the city controlled that spot. I'm still unsure as to whether or not it does by your response. If the the city controls a parcel there that could be an idea, problem is I'm not sure if they do or not and as I mentioned I still strongly prefer the parcel on Farmington and Broad as it's much more prestigious of a location for what should be a national model of interdistrict secondary education. It will work much better in a nice and highly visible section of town, IMHO. We do want this to attract students from outside of Hartford. Let's keep that in mind as we discuss alternate locations. While my general support of Perez may be diminishing, I agree with him here. The state needs to move quickly and be flexible. Let the city make some decisions. The hand holding is not helping in this case.

If it's a National model, of which I'm skeptical it will be, what does it matter where it is? I'm not aware of any other cities clamoring to get a Magnet school in their downtown. I personally think that spot could be better used for something else, but that's neither here nor there...Besides, technically the city should no longer control the parcel in question, since a school doesn't fit into the 3 criteria presented by the State, though Eddie doesn't care, he'll just do what he wants no matter what.

I'm now convinced Perez is living in a fantasy world. He thumbs his nose at the State, then gets all indignant when they give him the required response. The city could easily acquire many other sites with similar distances to Downtown, lord knows there are plenty. It has been said the State needs to be plexible, but I don't see the point when the Mayor is being much more inflexible....

I don't think the site is that bad, it's an urban school, traffic is always going to be an issue. A redesigned intersection resulting from this project will be beneficial. I kinda like the FU to the governor as well, this school has been over five years in the planning (there are already drawings, concrete plans for the site), let the legislature handle it and it will be another five years. Although I get worried that this move by Perez will hinder the projects I actually care about (like a new arena) because no one will want to work with him...

I also find it ironic that the Mayor is faulting the State for taking it's sweet time with development plans, yet the City iteslf hasn't spurned any such developments. Adraien's Landing is spurred by the State, and while Front Street is a mess, the Convention Center and hotel are done, the Science Center is flying along. If left to their own devices, the city gets much less done than the State. The Mayor just doesn't know when to push, and when to pull....

I also find it ironic that the Mayor is faulting the State for taking it's sweet time with development plans, yet the City iteslf hasn't spurned any such developments. Adraien's Landing is spurred by the State, and while Front Street is a mess, the Convention Center and hotel are done, the Science Center is flying along. If left to their own devices, the city gets much less done than the State. The Mayor just doesn't know when to push, and when to pull....

Please don't forget the issue of resources. Hartford is nothing more than a large town and does not have major city funds to get major city projects done. That's why we are dependent on the state for help in many such cases. Also just think about how much prime Hartford land the state occupies and pays no taxes on. The state is responsible for funding Hartford the way I see it. It's not a favor.

Archived