Hartford on the hook for new Magnet School

MadVlad

Bill, sell them on the Space Needle for that lot ;)

It truly is. I sent it to a friend in the Mayor's office who said that they were familiar with this idea and with BillM and it was not favored. The city engineers are cool to roundabouts I guess. I told her they need to hire some new engineers.....

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Americans are cool to roundabouts because most of the traffic circles they encounter in this country are poorly designed. The image fo this roundabout appears to reflect the "modern roundabout" concept employed throughout Europe. The Pulaski traffic circle (connecting I-91 and Bushnell park) is an example of poor engineering for a number of ones, not the least of which are the stop-signs and lack of any lane markings within the circle. Modern roundabouts also rely on excellent signage, well ahead of the roundabout itself, to alert drivers as to which exit to take coming out of the roundabout, rather than trying to look for signs once inside it--and not knowing whether to stay to the outside (to exit early) or enter in the inside lane (to exit farther around). Seriously, the Farmingon-Broad-Asylum intersection is ready-made for a roundabout. I can think of no better solution.

Bill, you're a genius. I just looked at some of your work. True visionary.

I went to UConn in Storrs. This is the type of thing they've done there. The legislature injected 2 billion dollars and the campus started implementing a fabulous master plan that pulled disconnected parts of the campus together. This is exactly the type of thing we need for Hartford, and we've actually got somebody with the vision--now we need our elected leaders to step up to the plate to make this happen!

HartfordTycoon for mayor!

I think Americans are cool to roundabouts because most of the traffic circles they encounter in this country are poorly designed. The image fo this roundabout appears to reflect the "modern roundabout" concept employed throughout Europe. The Pulaski traffic circle (connecting I-91 and Bushnell park) is an example of poor engineering for a number of ones, not the least of which are the stop-signs and lack of any lane markings within the circle. Modern roundabouts also rely on excellent signage, well ahead of the roundabout itself, to alert drivers as to which exit to take coming out of the roundabout, rather than trying to look for signs once inside it--and not knowing whether to stay to the outside (to exit early) or enter in the inside lane (to exit farther around). Seriously, the Farmingon-Broad-Asylum intersection is ready-made for a roundabout. I can think of no better solution.

HartfordTycoon, Whaler0718, MadVlad

I would like to thank you for appreciating some of my work.

I am actually more thankful that you guys have a genuine passion for taking Hartford to the next level. I often hear negative things about the city like "who really cares about Hartford?". I think there is a greater awareness to the issues that can make Hartford a greater city than there were just a few years back.

Just for fun, I created this image of how the view from the roundabout might look like.

I call it "Pathway to Hartford"

i188713_pathwaytohartford.gif

HartfordTycoon, Whaler0718, MadVlad

I would like to thank you for appreciating some of my work.

I am actually more thankful that you guys have a genuine passion for taking Hartford to the next level. I often hear negative things about the city like "who really cares about Hartford?". I think there is a greater awareness to the issues that can make Hartford a greater city than there were just a few years back.

Just for fun, I created this image of how the view from the roundabout might look like.

I call it "Pathway to Hartford"

i188713_pathwaytohartford.gif

This area is as pedestrian unfriendly as you can get... and now you are going to add school children to the mix. Wait for the uproar when the first child is hit by a car.

There are so many other better suited sites. But Perez seems more interested in power plays with the state on projects like this while high paying jobs flee to the suburbs. Nothing like getting priorities straight.

If these are the choices I say put it near Ann St. or in Barnard Brown. Capitol and Broad could be OK I guess. We do need to understand though that any site currently being used as parking will likely be a tough sell due to lost revenue. But if we can cut down on some parking lots near the capitol then let's go for it.

I liked the Day Hill Rd. suggestion. Let's go with that one......j/k

• 5 months later...

Archived