Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

redjeep77

Discovery Place

43 posts in this topic

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/ent...ts/16585053.htm

Looks like "Body Worlds" is coming to charlotte. This is huge! Only 10 cities in the US have been fortunate to hold this exibit. I would highly recommend this exhibit to anyone.....the human body is amazing!

I looked around and there isn't a dedicated thread to just discovery place and it's news.....so i figured i'd start my own one.

It was HUGE here is Boston....we tried to go, but the wait to get in was 2.5 hours...unfortunately we didn't make it back.

This exhibit gained a lot of attention in St. Paul too. It was extended a few months and ended up attracting about 740,000 people.

Looks like Discovery Place is really trying to make waves. The Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit was a coup, and this is on about the same level. It's great to see a local museum that's serious about having a national presence.

Very cool, I heard about this on NPR a while back. TOTN maybe? Its somewhat controversial, and there are quite a few copy cat exibits in other countries that are even more controversial. (ie, pregnant women, children, etc.) Nice to see Discovery pulling in these great attractions.

I overheard someone mention the other day that Discovery Place will close for a year for remodelling and renovation...any information on this?

I would be surprised if that is how they plan to do the renovation. I would think they'd just close parts of it. It might be the case, though.

I have a friend who works at DP. He says they're not sure how they'll work the expansion/remodel. He did say that there is talk of making the Tryon Street side more retail oriented and they will be overhauling the rain forest completely. Many exhibits will be removed, as they date from 1981.

The Observer OP/ED section on Thursday already had people writing in about how offended they were that this was coming to Charlotte... <_<

Then they will be really offended if they have the same level of marketing as they did here in Boston.....there were pictures of the skinless bodies everywhere.....why would anyone care? Does Charlotte no longer accept science as acceptable?

I saw the exhibit in Munich. It's educational, entertaining and a bit bizarre. Well worth the price of admission. There were plenty of kids and teens at the exhibit. Charlotte shouldn't feel too bad about the prudes though, one or two of the exhibit pieces in Berlin were shrouded because of Catholic pressure groups. The best advice for those groups would be to stay at home and vote with their wallet.

Very cool, I heard about this on NPR a while back. TOTN maybe? Its somewhat controversial, and there are quite a few copy cat exibits in other countries that are even more controversial. (ie, pregnant women, children, etc.) Nice to see Discovery pulling in these great attractions.

^ according to the NPR story that aired a few months back (if i recall correctly)... the main controversary was - where the bodies were obtained. supposedly the majority of the bodies came from russia and china... and many without documentation as to their full history.

however, i doubt this is the issue that has many offended. i would bet that most of the problems are stemming from the scenario that atlrvr posted on.

There will always be conservative groups working against this kind of event. It's a very strong sign of progress that DP doesn't seem too worried about backlash; 20 years ago they probably wouldn't have taken the risk.

Well, since it raised eyebrows in London (in a negative way), I think we can be reasonably assured that it will spark some unpleasantries here.

Honestly I don't think this is going to cause too negative of a reaction, or we'd be hearing it already. Let's hope the village idiots don't get on the warpath.

Honestly I don't think this is going to cause too negative of a reaction, or we'd be hearing it already. Let's hope the village idiots don't get on the warpath.

I saw this just a while ago in Atlanta. I was down visiting my cousin and his wife and he got tickets from his work, so we went. I don't really remember anyone protesting or evening caring that much; quite the contrary it was a huge success and I remember friends saying you had to buy tickets up to three weeks in advance.

I saw this just a while ago in Atlanta. I was down visiting my cousin and his wife and he got tickets from his work, so we went. I don't really remember anyone protesting or evening caring that much; quite the contrary it was a huge success and I remember friends saying you had to buy tickets up to three weeks in advance.

^First time in the southeast, not south. It is in Dallas right now and was in Houston last year.

I personally consider Texas an in-between state, with flavors of both the SE and SW. So, therefore, I really consider Texas it's own region, maybe combined with Oklahoma as the South Central region.

In elementary school they teach that the SW is Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas.