602 Leonard NW Supermercado

Raildudes dad

Last summer? the old Red Lion restaurant was torn down. This fall someone started construction of a new building. Block construction, high ceiling and it's tight to the sidewalk, the RR tracks and the side street with the parking on the south side. Very few windows. It looks like there's going to be signs on 3 - 2 column block "towers" for the lack of a better description (NW, NE, and SE corners of the bldg). The site has no signs except the builders name. No "XXX Coming soon" :( Any one know what it's going to be?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Last summer? the old Red Lion restaurant was torn down. This fall someone started construction of a new building. Block construction, high ceiling and it's tight to the sidewalk, the RR tracks and the side street with the parking on the south side. Very few windows. It looks like there's going to be signs on 3 - 2 column block "towers" for the lack of a better description (NW, NE, and SE corners of the bldg). The site has no signs except the builders name. No "XXX Coming soon" :( Any one know what it's going to be?

• 2 months later...

I wish I had a photo of this building on hand. But basically the building is made of cinder blocks with decorative surfaces. It has very little windows. So don't expect transparency. Adorned with turrets on each corner, the building reminds me of a castle.

I haven't seen the building in question on Leonard, but I find it hard to believe that anything could be as ugly as those mushroom cloud buildings on Northland Dr.

This supermarket going up is terrible. Theres no way that a starbucks anywhere can be wrse than this thing.. its basically a CMU bunker right out to the street on leonard. I only live a couple blocks away so maybe I'll go take some pictures

So how on Earth did the city allow this thing to proceed as it is now? I remember this building too and am totally appalled that no one in government told this guy to go back to the drawing board when he danced this bright idea in front of them.

There is just no excuse for this type of sloppy building design!

So how on Earth did the city allow this thing to proceed as it is now? I remember this building too and am totally appalled that no one in government told this guy to go back to the drawing board when he danced this bright idea in front of them.

There is just no excuse for this type of sloppy building design!

I took pics with my phone earlier today as I was driving buy... Have to wait til Monday tho since I don't have a bluetooth adapter at home, only work. It is a terrible building. I actually have no idea how they are going to finish the corner columns. Is the NW side really this desperate for development?

• 3 weeks later...
Actually, the project went to the Board of Zoning Appeals, not the Planning Commission, and the request was for a variance for setbacks from Elizabeth St. and for the grocery store use, since a portion of the site is zoned industrially.

In defense of the "whole floor" of planners (3, incidentally), we currently do not have any design guidelines in the code that would have allowed us to require a different design. We will, however, have such guidelines in the new zoning code, so hopefully you can breathe easier in that regard. ;)

Archived