602 Leonard NW Supermercado

Raildudes dad

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jeez that is one unattractive building. However with that being said, the question of who is the target market for a Supermercado does come into play. I am no expert on the hispanic community, but perhaps there is something in the design of this building that fits their concept of how a supermarket should appear? Green, white and red are the colors of the Mexican flag and the roofline is vaguely reminiscent of architecture you might find in Mexico. I mean, check out this picture of the Fashion and Textile Museum in London. I quote, "The striking exterior by reknowned Mexican architect Ricardo Legorreta gives an indication of what's in store for future visitors."

1151262959_62.49.27.213.jpg

I suppose, one person's "striking exterior" is another person's "satanic version of Disneyland's Cinderella Castle" (my favorite description so far!)

Since the building is very apparently there to stay, I decided to create an improved version that doesn't require significant construction changes. I have included a "before" rendering for comparison in the case that my proportions or scale are off:

502722051_7817580dec.jpg

As the last three pages prove, our opinions of this building can be sumed up by a million of these: :sick:

502722053_5a521577e5.jpg

I decided the worst design attrocities (aside from the tacky red collumns) were the poorly proportioned windows and all of the bare space above them. Adding metal awnings and lights above the windows took care of both problems by filling the space and making the windows seem taller. The towers also got makovers with added trim and a new color sceme to tye them into the building. I also added window boxes, trim between the two colors of concrete block, store signage on the parapet and signs to the areas under the towers (especially since there appears to be accent lighting here).

All in all, my version isn't alot better as far as urban design goes. The entry could be in a better spot, the windows facing the streets could be larger, and I probably wouldn't even have the towers which give the building a sertain suburban (dis)flavor. However, my goal was to do the best that I could with what was there (obviously not much). So be free to lay on the criticism.

Since the building is very apparently there to stay, I decided to create an improved version that doesn't require significant construction changes. I have included a "before" rendering for comparison in the case that my proportions or scale are off:

502722051_7817580dec.jpg

As the last three pages prove, our opinions of this building can be sumed up by a million of these: :sick:

502722053_5a521577e5.jpg

I decided the worst design attrocities (aside from the tacky red collumns) were the poorly proportioned windows and all of the bare space above them. Adding metal awnings and lights above the windows took care of both problems by filling the space and making the windows seem taller. The towers also got makovers with added trim and a new color sceme to tye them into the building. I also added window boxes, trim between the two colors of concrete block, store signage on the parapet and signs to the areas under the towers (especially since there appears to be accent lighting here).

All in all, my version isn't alot better as far as urban design goes. The entry could be in a better spot, the windows facing the streets could be larger, and I probably wouldn't even have the towers which give the building a sertain suburban (dis)flavor. However, my goal was to do the best that I could with what was there (obviously not much). So be free to lay on the criticism.

As I said, It's ugly, but I think before we attack the design of a building on this thread we should atleast wait and see what it will look like when it's finished. Not sure where the CVS in this picture was but I was thinking of all the ugly pharmacy's in dt gr - where I live. Think of the Rite-Aid and Walgreens on Michigan - Both of those stores have similar windows and unfriendly appearances. Walgreens is not as bad but still pretty ugly as you're driving east on Michigan. The CVS in Eastown is pretty ugly as well. One would hope that the bad paint job pointed out in the thread will be covered up by some kind of signage or awnings. They're obviously not finished yet. I think devoting 5 pages of knee-jerk attitude to a yet unfinished building IS over-dramatic.

Over dramatic? Let's compare.....

4v67tdviz6.jpg

cvspharmacyio2.jpg

Let's see, SuperMercado has split face block, some of which is painted, some of which is not, out of scale lincoln log-looking turrets, virtually zero transparency to the street, gaudy color scheme, enough blank wall to park a billboard, and zero architectural detailing (unless you count the western store front pop up on the Leonard St. facade.) Does this building even have an entrance? This building isn't even complete and it already screams, tear me down.

CVS has at least a hint of detailing at the cornice, brick exterior, an arched walkway with a soldier course of brick, windows, a defined entry, and even a morsel of landscaping.

Call me crazy but I'd take two of these CVS' over another SuperMercado any day of the week.

Overly dramatic? I think not......

I was in a wait and see pattern on the New GRAM. Thankfully my patience has been well rewarded. However Supermercado, is no new GRAM. I'm pretty sure this building is going to be Butt Ugly when its all done. Give it 10 to 15 years. Because one of two things will happen to it. One, the owners will move out rendering the building a vacant canvas for graffiti. Or two, the building's owners will be disparately searching for a competent architect and equally skilled contractor to renovate it.

As I said, It's ugly, but I think before we attack the design of a building on this thread we should atleast wait and see what it will look like when it's finished. Not sure where the CVS in this picture was but I was thinking of all the ugly pharmacy's in dt gr - where I live. Think of the Rite-Aid and Walgreens on Michigan - Both of those stores have similar windows and unfriendly appearances. Walgreens is not as bad but still pretty ugly as you're driving east on Michigan. The CVS in Eastown is pretty ugly as well. One would hope that the bad paint job pointed out in the thread will be covered up by some kind of signage or awnings. They're obviously not finished yet. I think devoting 5 pages of knee-jerk attitude to a yet unfinished building IS over-dramatic.

And so Supermarcado joins the pantheon of west Leonard Street's architectural blunders. By the way IMO they consist of the following:

From east to west....

Speedway Gas Station

Clark Gas Station

The Auto Zone Strip mall

Autos Plus(name?)

Taco Bell

Ralph's Market/Blockbuster Video complex

The Group of old buildings walled over and graphed together to make up the factory to the west of the Blockbuster video

Shell Gas Station

5/3 Bank

Arnie's Bakery Commercial operations accept the portion with the copper roof

Walgreens

The former YMCA

The Gun Safe shop that is tacked on to the neighboring 1800's Christian Reformed Church (How ironic is that? :wacko: )

Burger King

McDonald's

The oil change place next door to BK

Family Video

The Car Wash located just to the east of West Leonard Elementary

I guess the plan here is to turn this stretch of Leonard St. into a clone of Wyoming's portion of 28th Street. :sick:

Unless they are going to add something because they think it looks horrible too, I don't think we have to wait. Since the paint is dry, I would assume there isn't going to be many more changes to the design.

Joe

And so Supermarcado joins the pantheon of west Leonard Street's architectural blunders. By the way IMO they consist of the following:

The Group of old buildings walled over and graphed together to make up the factory to the west of the Blockbuster video

The Gun Safe shop that is tacked on to the neighboring 1800's Christian Reformed Church (How ironic is that? :wacko: )

I guess the plan here is to turn this stretch of Leonard St. into a clone of Wyoming's portion of 28th Street. :sick:

Agreed. It is in a sad state. However I think it does have good bones underneath its current ugliness. Hopefully a visionary developer will set that building right someday.

Did you include the beautiful old theater that has been closed off from the street and has a crappy lettered sign stuck on the face? "Hyatt" never looked so bad.

Agreed. A diamond in the rough (including the Hyatt sign). Was the old Civic Theatre before they moved to the Majestic.

Joe

Agreed. It is in a sad state. However I think it does have good bones underneath its current ugliness. Hopefully a visionary developer will set that building right someday.

• 2 weeks later...

For another example of poorly constructed urban shopping centers, check out the work going near the corner of Leonard and Fuller next to the Citgo station. It looks shoddy already and they just started. The walls are basically one single layer of red bricks and the frames for the windows are in place but leaning against 2x4s. I'm no construction expert, but this shopping center might give the supermercado a run for its money.

For another example of poorly constructed urban shopping centers, check out the work going near the corner of Leonard and Fuller next to the Citgo station. It looks shoddy already and they just started. The walls are basically one single layer of red bricks and the frames for the windows are in place but leaning against 2x4s. I'm no construction expert, but this shopping center might give the supermercado a run for its money.

It's not brick but it's close. As near as I can figure from driving past it every morning looking at it, it's a thin concrete block that is colored red to look like brick.

Frankly, I was wondering how in the world they are going to make that thing structural myself. At least from the renderings it will look like a typical strip complex, unike our SuperCrapo friends.

Archived