Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

superjack

Relettering of SouthTrust Building

38 posts in this topic

I have reliable, inside information that the former SouthTrust building will be relettered soon. In fact, fabrication of the new letters should commence any time now. I will try to investigate further to see what name it will receive. Probably can post it shortly.

I have reliable, inside information that the former SouthTrust building will be relettered soon. In fact, fabrication of the new letters should commence any time now. I will try to investigate further to see what name it will receive. Probably can post it shortly.

I wish they'd stick with a name for that building instead of renaming it every time.

The Buildings always been called the Capital Center. They just lease the signage at top, and the general public tends to call it whatever's up top (AT&T, South Trust). Kinda like 1441 Main, it used to be generally known as the First Union building, but now it's just 1441 Main.

The Buildings always been called the Capital Center. They just lease the signage at top, and the general public tends to call it whatever's up top (AT&T, South Trust). Kinda like 1441 Main, it used to be generally known as the First Union building, but now it's just 1441 Main.

No, Capitol Center came long, long after it was built. The first time I heard it called that was in the late nineties, ealy oughts (we really need to get a good term for 00-09). When it was built, it was called the AT&T tower.

No, Capitol Center came long, long after it was built. The first time I heard it called that was in the late nineties, ealy oughts (we really need to get a good term for 00-09). When it was built, it was called the AT&T tower.

I was living in the Wade Hampton Hotel as a returning adult USC student when the Capitol Centre was announced, and Capitol Centre was to be the official name of the building, and Capitol Centre still is the official name of the building as far as I know. The name was created when the building was a mere rendering on the front page of "The State."

OK, I guess I stand corrected. I would swear 'AT&T Tower' was on the sign when they were moving earth, but, heck, that was over 20 years ago.

I always remembered it as the Affinity and southtrust building when i was littlel. i think i remember when it had AT&T on there. people always just call it by whatever name is on there

I've heard all those names, and seen all the various signage that has adorned the buildings crown. Like I said....they can still put my name up there...give Wilbur a little competition!

Well I don't have any idea who has enough space in the building to slap there name on it but whatever. I would like to see either red or blue lettering on the building I just think it would add to wachovias white and NBSC's blue. I do wish SUNTrust would come to columbia and either buy or build a office tower, I think they are the only ones that are not in our downtown.

Was it not first lettered with AT&T, then Affinity (then SouthTrust)? I have heard both several times, and I've never gotten a clear answer.

Its always been "SouthTrust" to me, but I'm not from Columbia :)

The building has taken on the name of whatever company had its logo on the top through the years, but the original name of the building was the Capitol Centre. I've always thought they should put CAPITOL CENTRE across the top and be done with it. I think Collexis, the internet search engine company is in that building. That would be cool for the new adornment: COLLEXIS.

Was it not first lettered with AT&T, then Affinity (then SouthTrust)? I have heard both several times, and I've never gotten a clear answer.

Its always been "SouthTrust" to me, but I'm not from Columbia :)

Collexis would be an excellent choice; I think Corgi has hit the nail on the head. By the way, Corgi, when do we get to see pictures of your dog(s)? ;)

You know I just thought about it, has anyone noticed where the old southtrust sign use to tbe that there is some newer or atlease newer looking panels up there? Also the capital center could use a nice cleaning and the side panels repainted black they are starting to fade I mean the poor building turns 20 this year.

Collexis would be an excellent choice; I think Corgi has hit the nail on the head. By the way, Corgi, when do we get to see pictures of your dog(s)? ;)

Corgi, sorry to hear about your bad experience. I agree with you about Collexis, I hope they become a very prosperous company and eventually take over most of the building.

You know I just thought about it, has anyone noticed where the old southtrust sign use to tbe that there is some newer or atlease newer looking panels up there? Also the capital center could use a nice cleaning and the side panels repainted black they are starting to fade I mean the poor building turns 20 this year.

Yeah. Like someone said, in a future society that would be a building that would be demolished and would not be missed