Houma

Kayleph23

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there much development in Houma-Thibodaux? I would love to hear about what's going on down there. It has been quite some time since I've been to Houma. As I recall, it is a very interesting town. There are some great Victorian houses there.

I did hear something last year about a development in Houma which is projected to have over 700 houses. Brian, please don't take offense- I did not intend to slight the area in any way. I was merely observing that we don't hear much about this area on these boards. I'd also be interested to hear more about what's going on down there.

I believe the Houma-Thibodaux MSA is the 5th/6th largest in the state. Personally, I'm always reading something about the oil/offshore oil industry in Terrebonne and LaFourche. They seem to get as much attention as any other similarly-sized area...JMO, of course.

If you want to see an area that gets NO attention and NO discussion, that's the booming Leesville-DeRidder-Ft. Polk MSA. Okay, okay...it's not an MSA...but still. ;)

I-49's (future totally completed) southern extension from Lafayette to NOLA runs between Houma and Thibodaux . That should help the area continue to prosper. I remember downtown Houma having a couple of mid-rise buildings.

The New Future Hwy. La.1 in lower Lafourche will be a MAJOR upgrade badly needed to Port Fourchon and Grand Isle. I think the elevated bridge section will be at least 11 miles long. I posted the website on this many months ago.

Eight largest Combined Statistical Area's in Louisiana

1. New Orleans

2. Baton Rouge

3. Lafayette

4. Shreveport

5. Lake Charles

6. Monroe

7. Houma-Thibadaux

8. Alexandria

And I'm willing to bet that the Houma-Thibadaux CSA has surpassed the Monroe CSA in population since this figures were put together in 2000.

^Either way, it's just nice to see another major SE Louisiana metro moving in the right direction. Metro New Orleans is booming, as is metro Baton Rouge, and metro Lafayette, and metro Houma looks like it's at the start of a big upswing. Hell, rack that up as another Louisiana metro doing well, not just SE Louisiana. It's so nice to be out of the days where it seemed like everything in this state just sat still.

Archived