Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spartan

Can SC be a LEED(er) ?

58 posts in this topic

Senator Jim Richie (R-Spartanburg) has introduced 4 pieces of legislation that would make South Carolina a leader in the struggle for energy independance.

The bills would:

- Require state-funded buildings

Spartanburg should be proud to have Richie representing the county; he seems to be one of the very few truly progressive political voices in the state. I'm thrilled to see such a bill proposed, and it ties in very nicely with our quest to be a hub in the hydrogen economy.

I also had no idea the QS/1 building was LEED-certified.

This sounds great! I sure hope it passes. :yahoo:

Isn't the Pinnacle suppose to be LEED is it ever gets built and are ALL ICAR buildings LEED?

^^^Yes, all ICAR buildings and the Pinnacle on Main are going for Silver LEED certification.

I know the Innovista buildings are supposed to have green features, but I'm not sure if they are/will be LEED certified on any level.

^ I think they will be, krazee. All of the new university buildigns are going to be LEED silver at a minimum (at least thats my understanding).

In a speech within a speech, USC President Andrew Sorenson talked about all the university's buildings coming out of the ground or planned during the State of the City address at Columbia's city hall the other night, and they're all going to be LEED-certified. So USC is definitely doing its part.

I didn't realize this until now, but the new Hubbell Lighting headquarters building in Greenville is going for LEED certification. :)

The Bookends development in dowtown Greenville is LEED certified as well.

Furman University in Greenville built the first LEED certified building in South Carolina. It is the Herman N. Hipp Hall, and is "gold" rated.

This piece from the Environmental Law Institute shows what a great job the Greenville County School District has done in building "green" facilities. I suppose it would be interesting to see the final LEED ratings on these buildings, since so many have been completed now. I believe the total scope of the development included 70 projects. More information about the construction can be found here.

USC's and the nations first LEED dorm the West Qaud

Finaly027.jpg

And then USC's other soon to be LEED buildings Horizon and Discovery Plazas

Downtown007.jpg

Downtown014.jpg

Woa. USC's green dorm looks like a suburban Holiday Inn Express. :blink:

I thought West Quad was the first green dorm?

^ Yes, the WEST Quad is the first green dorm.

m_1131657208.jpg

turfroof.jpg

green25.jpg

(Pictures provided by the USC website)

Well, it looks as though we're off to a pretty decent start already. :)

Here's an op-ed piece by Ritchie that appeared in today's edition of The State.

I thought that Clemson's Quad had been LEED certified. Perhaps, maybe I was only aware that they were going for it..? Nonetheless, they've apparently they've gotten Silver certification. It's great that 70 year old buildings can be made green and that people are willing to take that extra step and acheive the status. :thumbsup:

Greenville News

I thought that Clemson's Quad had been LEED certified. Perhaps, maybe I was only aware that they were going for it..? Nonetheless, they've apparently they've gotten Silver certification. It's great that 70 year old buildings can be made green and that people are willing to take that extra step and acheive the status. :thumbsup:

Greenville News

Greenville News