Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

queensguy06

Snow Day!

33 posts in this topic

Being in the restaurant business, we already closed to save on expenses (no one will be out driving around for lunch today), but what about everyone else? Working or not?

Well, I work 3rd shift, and when I left work at around 5:30am, it had just started. The further south on I-77 towards Rock Hill I got, it started coming down a bit more. Currently, we're supposed to be somewhere in the 1-4 inch range, from here down towards Fairfield County, just north of Columbia. Since freezing rain is supposed to be falling from around noon until 6pm, I doubt if I'll go in to work tonight, but I'll play it by ear; I hate having to use one of my vacation days for inclement weather, plus I wouldn't mind riding the clock since we'll have very little work to do.

My boss called me and told me I didn't have to come in, but I'm going to anyway. I'm from Upstate NY (along with 53% of the Charlotte population)... it'll be fine. And it'll make me look like a real freakin' trooper!

Update: Boss just called and the entire office is closed, sooooo.... I'm gonna sit indian-style on the floor, eat Cookie Crisp and watch Cartoon Network.

:( Weather like this makes me work more, but snow isn't too bad. If the ice starts my weekend is gone, and if it gets real bad, my next couple weeks are gone...

I am staying home. All the poochies I have to walk have moms and dads who are mostly staying home. I guess I should catch up on project work that I do from home anyway but I think I am going to veg out in front of the TV instead.

My boss called me and told me I didn't have to come in, but I'm going to anyway. I'm from Upstate NY (along with 53% of the Charlotte population)... it'll be fine. And it'll make me look like a real freakin' trooper!

Turbo, just re-read the thread. Your boss is a smart man. After all, there have been over 80 car accidents in the City of Charlotte at this point. BTW, UNC Charlotte is closed, so I am home. Unfortunately, I'll be heading out to CLT (airport) for work this afternoon. Y'all say a silent prayer for me...some passengers love to blame airline staff for weather delays.

Our whole university is closed but I still have to work :) not long though

My wife and I also moved to Charlotte this past summer from New York. Wow. That is all I will say out of politeness, in regards to people reactions to a dusting of snow.

It has not even accumulated 1 inch. At this point it's more of freezing rain which is just making a sloppy mess. Perfect for some serious fun in empty parking lots. :)

It has not even accumulated 1 inch. At this point it's more of freezing rain which is just making a sloppy mess. Perfect for some serious fun in empty parking lots. :)

Not too many people looking for bicycles today, so our shop is closed.

i'm workin' (or at least at work, on UP). No problem driving in, except for getting stuck behind a huge pick-up truck going about 15 mph on a main road....... painful. I understand being cautious, but that was rediculous considering he had this big heavy truck.

I agree that the snow accumulation is not massive compared to what many transplants have experienced but it's going to switch to freezing rain this afternoon and that's going to make for dangerous driving this evening so it's a good idea to stay home if you can. The accidents are already piling up so why add yourself to the grand total?

Actually I-85 and I-77 north of the city are pretty much closed from accidents.

I have to ask, would you ride your bike to work still if it was open? Now that would be hardcore riding. :)

UNCC Classes are canceled so I'm chillin in my room. :D But the kid in me wants to just go out there and play, but then the smarter person in me says hell no don't go out there!

Things seemed to have switched over to sleety rain here in Dilworth already... yuck. Why can't Charlotte ever have a standard nice and fluffy snowstorm and that's it? We alway end up with sleet and ice :angry:

Things seemed to have switched over to sleety rain here in Dilworth already... yuck. Why can't Charlotte ever have a standard nice and fluffy snowstorm and that's it? We alway end up with sleet and ice :angry:

Working from home in Plaza-Midwood today. Luckily my job affords me that opportunity most days, but on days like this I appreciate it even more!

got to work around 10:30 this morning. i had planned a half day for appointments to the dentist and accountant... but, they both called this morning to cancel. so, after playing outside - i drove to work. of course, when i got here they decided to let everyone leave and close for the day.... but, i figure i @ least have some posts to read first.

I am retired, but work at an elementary school 3 hours a day. SO NO SCHOOL TODAY!