Possible future downtown development:

provid

Possible future downtown development: The state is planning to sell the lot next to the Garrahy courthouse ( see picture of courthouse ) downtown with the provision the new owner use the land for a “residential development” and include 500 parking spaces for court employees.

post-1344-1170339182_thumb.jpg

post-1344-1170339182_thumb.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm assuming this is the one bordered by Richmond St, Friendship Street, and Clifford St? That would be a great place for residential development, providing the waterfront park gets built once 195 is removed. It would be nice having a large number of people living in that area, to add to the mostly commercial use right now. Instead of luxury condos though, how about some apartments that the "average" person can afford??

I'm just going to join in with pete and jerry on this one (their general point at least). I don't think downtown is ready for more residential units. Already we have the luxury condos plus Capitol Cove, ALCO, along with all of the other renovations. What we still don't have is proof that people outside of this board are ready to move into the city. I understand they don't necessarily serve the same markets, but there are only so many people and RI's population isn't growing.

I'm just going to join in with pete and jerry on this one (their general point at least). I don't think downtown is ready for more residential units. Already we have the luxury condos plus Capitol Cove, ALCO, along with all of the other renovations. What we still don't have is proof that people outside of this board are ready to move into the city. I understand they don't necessarily serve the same markets, but there are only so many people and RI's population isn't growing.

Question on parking: When people complain about the need for more parking in Providence, do you think they really feel that there is not enough, or that there is not enough FREE parking?

I think most people know that there is technically enough parking spaces between the existing garages, lots, and onstreet. But they balk at the price of parking in these lots. Some are expensive, and others seem deserted. And some are -gasp - a few hundred feet away from where they are going.

When I drive downtown (and I do sometimes, its a damn shame I know) i will drive around and around to find a street spot vs parking in a lot. I dont mind the walk, I will gladly walk a 1/4 mile to my destination from a street spot, I just dont feel like paying to park in a lot.

Archived