Winter weather

Snowguy716

This weekend will be brutal as temperatures approach -30*F on Sunday and Monday morning with temperatures staying well below 0*F even during the day. RIght now, there are light, wind driven snow showers with the sun eerily and faintly peaking through the clouds with temperatures around 5*F. Tonight we will hit a wind drive -18*F creating wind chills to -40*F.

This is going to make a lot of the country very, very cold.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This weekend will be brutal as temperatures approach -30*F on Sunday and Monday morning with temperatures staying well below 0*F even during the day. RIght now, there are light, wind driven snow showers with the sun eerily and faintly peaking through the clouds with temperatures around 5*F. Tonight we will hit a wind drive -18*F creating wind chills to -40*F.

This is going to make a lot of the country very, very cold.

We're having what's called a "lake-effect" snowfall. Cold air travels over a much warmer Lake Michigan, picks up moisture, and dumps it on the Western part of Michigan as snow.

web_loop_radar1.jpg

Makes it interesting. Snow one minute, sun is out the next, snow, sun, snow falling while the sun is out, etc. It usually doesn't reach my house East of Grand Rapids, but today it is. No delays or school closures though.

Snowguy, that is d**n cold! Sunday and Monday are supposed to be the coldest days we've had in years at 8 degrees. Yikes!

The beauty of a typical winter in the south is mostly mild weather, in comparison with most of the rest of the country, interrupted by one or two big storms or cold, cold snaps - and this is the 2nd winter in a row that we've just gotten the ... mild.

Here in NC we're so overdue for some deep, fun snow: the 22" snow that fell in Raleigh & Durham in Jan 2000 f'rinstance. I think the deepest snow total ever recorded in NC, apart from the mountains, was 29" in Roanoke Rapids during the Feb 1978 blizzard...

We've finally gotten a little bit of Winter here in the Northeast. It's seasonally chilly (highs 20s/30s and lows 10s), and we're getting snow showers that drop about an inch every other night, so I wake up to a fresh new coating a few times a week now. I enjoy Winter because the cold seems to freshen things up. And now that the ski resorts are getting plenty of snow, I can make good use of my triple play lift ticket pass!

I like having mild Spring, when you can start going out to eat brunch al fresco,

A warm summer for going to the Shore,

A cool Fall for going hiking, leafing, and farmers markets

and a cold, refreshing winter with lots of snow for skiing and skating

IMO, the Northeast is a good part of the country for enjoying all 4 seasons that way.

While we were getting winter weather, Central Florida was hit by a slew of deadly tornadoes overnight. 14 confirmed dead in Lake, Volusia, Seminole, and Sumter Counties. Particularly the Orlando area is where the majority of the deaths occured, with 11 confirmed dead in 1 community. :shok:

Our thermometer at home recorded a low of -33*F this morning. Most people have had trouble starting their cars. The sky is pure blue, however, with not one cloud in the sky and it's a toasty -9*F at 12:40pm.

Amazingly, while schools were shut down in Ohio due to 0*F weather, the kiddies went off to school here with temps as low as -38*F across the state.

Did I forget to mention, that we have antifreeze for blood ;)

Oh, I don't know about that.. when you spend the better part of a week below 0*F, 5 starts to sound pretty good.. you go outside and you actually get hot in your coat. Then when it hits 45*F in March... it truly feels comfortable enough for shorts and a t-shirt (at least until the sun goes down).

I do agree though... if it's going to be 5*F it might as well be -45*F so at least you can brag :)

^haha, i went outside this morning and this is what i said to my dad- "It feels like Minnesota out here, eh" (in that Upper Midwest/Yooper/Minnesota accent), LOL.

I didnt have school today, and i dont have it tomorrow. I bet we couldve went just fine, but hey, im not complaining.

Its weird how clear it is, not a cloud, and the sunset was awesome tonight. Its 2* right now, feels like -14 with windchill.

lol... "ya, 'sure is a heckuva bite to the air, I'll tell ya what. Whatta ya suppose it is? twenty, tirty ba-low?"

"Oh ya, my uncle Butch told me dat when it gets ta tirty ba-low, da darned anna-freeze starts ta slush up. Ya won't find me out der on da lake with dat kinda wedder, I'll tell ya that right now!"

"Ya.. jeeze... old Nel Nelsen used ta tell me abote when he was a kid.. da win'er of 'tirty-seven I think... ya, dats da win'er dat old Babe da Blue Ox turned blue. 'dhate to be out in dat kinda cold. Bah-low zero all win'er long and den hotter than da Devils behind all summer without a smidge a' rain?... dose were tough times."

"So ya, I heard a new family moved inta town. All the way from Iowa... Myrtle baked 'em up a nice hotdish and brought it over this mornin'. Real nice people, I guess.. got a job down at da plant."

Oh ya, I heard.. paster Olaf told us last Sunday.. welcomed 'em in.. Marlace was talkin' to da guys wife at da potluck after."

"Oh ya? Well, I'll be. ANyway, dat all for ya tanight?"

"Dat'll do 'er"

"Okay.. you have a good night now. Say hi ta Marge and da kids for me, will ya?"

"Yep, sure will"

"Okay, bye now"

Keep in mind that during this entire conversation, the two men didn't look at each other, instead standing at an angle to each other focusing on an imaginary object in front of them. 80% of the conversation will involve weather, cars, or sports.. the rest will be niceties and the actual business. The car will be out in the parking lot, engine going, keys in the ignition.. and no one will have a care about it in the world.

LOL, what a conversation.

That reminds me, it was so cold today that while driving on the freeway today i washed the salt off the windsheild with the windsheild wipers, and the the wiperfluid froze into a thin sheet on the windsheild!

It's 0*F this morning here in Collegeville with snow falling. At this temp snow has a water/snow ratio of 1 to 30. It's about the driest powder you can get. About 1-2" has fallen so far with another inch possible.

Further north, the skies have remained clear and temps have dropped once again to near -30*F in the Arrowhead of the state. The next week is expected to remain well below average before warming up to slightly above normal with temperatures getting into the 20s during the day. No doubt we'll be having BBQs outside and cutting holes in the ice and jumping in.

Archived