Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

robm324

New Development in Springfield

13 posts in this topic

Yesterday at the Hall of Fame we had a press conference to announce the re-development of the Old Hall of Fame building. The website for the development is below, but it is going to encompass a huge LA Fitness, a sports medicine clinic, and another Restaurant. It is a completely privately financed project and the developers are local to W. Mass. A great project for Springfield, it might make a small dent in the negative perception of this city, but a lot still needs to be done.

My point in posting this on here is that I have always thought a major high-end gym belongs in Hartford. I understand that there are many gyms in the office buildings, but I think there is a market for this, especially with the new residential that has been recently added to the city. In fact, I think a project like this would be a good fit for Front St., any thoughts?

Rivers Landing at the Old Basketball Hall of Fame

As a side note, I think they slighly stole the "Landing" idea from Adriaen's.

Yeah I am kind of surprized Hartford doesn't have a high-end downtown gym. The corperate presense downtown would make it a great market.

Yeah I am kind of surprized Hartford doesn't have a high-end downtown gym. The corperate presense downtown would make it a great market.

I agree 100%, a good gym is sorely lacking in Hartford. It's little things like this would make the decision to move into Hartford all the more easier...for me at least. I haven't been to the Y but the people I've talked to who have worked out there have been ambivalent at best. Maybe Front Street will fill the void?

Yesterday at the Hall of Fame we had a press conference to announce the re-development of the Old Hall of Fame building. The website for the development is below, but it is going to encompass a huge LA Fitness, a sports medicine clinic, and another Restaurant. It is a completely privately financed project and the developers are local to W. Mass. A great project for Springfield, it might make a small dent in the negative perception of this city, but a lot still needs to be done.

My point in posting this on here is that I have always thought a major high-end gym belongs in Hartford. I understand that there are many gyms in the office buildings, but I think there is a market for this, especially with the new residential that has been recently added to the city. In fact, I think a project like this would be a good fit for Front St., any thoughts?

Rivers Landing at the Old Basketball Hall of Fame

As a side note, I think they slighly stole the "Landing" idea from Adriaen's.

State House Square actually has a gym called the "Taking Care Center" which is supposed to be pretty good, but I believe it's fairly expensive and embedded within the building. It's popular with people who work downtown but not very accessible/marketed to the general public.

Betcha anything its up & running before Front St.

Well, to be fair, this wasn't a homerun that was started and produced over night.

The BHOF vacated the old Hall in September of 2002, and the building has been sitting empty for 4 1/2 years. The shovels are going into the ground to renovate the building in April, and supposedly it will be open in April of 2008. So, it after all is said and done, this project will have taken 6 years to complete.

Having said all that, that is still better than the 10 years that the lot across from the convention center has sat basically empty.

a highend gym will have monthly dues of $45-$55+/month. The median Household income in hartford is $26,502. I think we sometimes lose sight that Hartford is a very poor city and for a fitness club to be sucessfull you would need local people to join as well. a fitness club will not draw people downtown, especially when they can go to one in their own town. let's focus on keeping jobs, cleaning up the parks, and growing the residential base, then a golds or powerhouse gym can follow with strongest man competitions in bushnell park.

a highend gym will have monthly dues of $45-$55+/month. The median Household income in hartford is $26,502. I think we sometimes lose sight that Hartford is a very poor city and for a fitness club to be sucessfull you would need local people to join as well. a fitness club will not draw people downtown, especially when they can go to one in their own town. let's focus on keeping jobs, cleaning up the parks, and growing the residential base, then a golds or powerhouse gym can follow with strongest man competitions in bushnell park.

LA Fitness is $35 a month. The one in Springfield isn't exactly downtown and I am sure will draw from Enfield, Longmeadow and other towns.

LA Fitness is $35 a month. The one in Springfield isn't exactly downtown and I am sure will draw from Enfield, Longmeadow and other towns.