Greater Birmingham Public Schools

Alxx611

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Let's see... I'll try to name as many high schools as I can in Jefferson County.

Ramsey

Booker T. Washington

Carver

West End

Wenonah

Woodlawn

Huffman

Jackson-Olin

Fairfield

Midfield

Minor

Jess Lanier

Hoover

Spain Park

Vestavia

Hewitt-Trussville

Clay-Chalkville

Shades Valley/Jefferson County International Baccalaureate School

Erwin

Fultondale

Gardendale

Mortimer Jordan

Homewood

Mountain Brook

Briarwood

Pinson Valley

Hueytown

Pleasant Grove

Oak Grove

Ensley

Alabama School of Fine Arts

Leeds

• 6 months later...

Shelby County Schools running out of room

Needs more classrooms and at least 125 more teachers

Shelby County Schools from The Birmingham News

It's apparent with the population of Shelby County now pushing 200,000 that there needs to be more classrooms and teachers. This problem should have been addressed during state legislature by giving the county its own taxation ability.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Clay is looking into creating is own school system

OK, and why?

Clay get idea of school system's cost

A consult informs the town of Clay that it would have to raise at least to 22-mills to afford its own school system. The town hopes to create own by 2009.

I ask, uh why? These cities are getting way ahead of themselves with this rush to form their own school districts within Jefferson County. I can see a lot of them going broke within the next 2 decades. Most of the region is maxed out in the retail sector with traditional chain stores and the only form of income they can generate with current state law is sales taxes. Also, just remember what happened to Trussville back 2004 when it had it property tax referendum on the ballots (statewide), it failed. They are wishing for a pipe dream that has little chance of coming through. :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

Birmingham City School District Superintendent Stanley Mims has proposed his first major plan since taking the post that determines the consolidation/closing of 10 schools of the current 66 school district. He also wants to prevent the laying off of anymore instructors but rather administrative personnel to prevent a teacher shortage. He has held numerous public meetings over the past few months before announcing this plan and he has recommended dividing the district into 5 individual sections that can be monitored by 5 section administrators that will answer to him.

Mims focuses on schoolwork

Mr. Mims has a track record of turning around the Bronx School District and East St. Louis (Illinois) School District, both of which were much worse off than Birmingham's. How do you guys feel about this plan? Do you think he will prevail?

• 2 weeks later...

The idea of neighborhoods and communities losing their schools in Birmingham are horrible, but it must be done if the school district doesn't want to be taken over by the state.

Abandoned schools leave chasms in communities

I am glad that their is now coaltion in the eastern portion of the city working and striving to revivalize that entire area with organizations like Parkway East District Business Association. Now, I only wish that the city would get behind them and push to revival that area.

• 1 month later...

The latest it seems with the city's schools are that 10 are proposed to be closed, and Councilmen Roger Royal is proposing an 1-mill increase in property taxes to properly fund the district. It is unfortunate that Mims is distracted from his task at hand to turn the school district around academically to deal with another threat of state takeover due to finances.

^ roderick royal?

money will of course help (it'll at least keep us out of trouble, whoo hoo), but the education problem in the city requires a holistic solution. improving the demographics and social environment of residents in the city limits is going to have to be a part of that solution - the in-town demographic is just too poor, uneducated and homogenized to carry its weight in supporting any dramatic school improvements, even if the city board were to discover a money-printing machine in the basement.

Convulso, I get where you are coming from, but that will come in due time after the initial problems are solved. Yes, I know Birmingham is overtly homogenized at this point, but you can't really the make-up of the demographic as the problem. The real problem of the school district is the quality of education, not whom is being educated. The City of Birmingham hasn't really heavily invested in school district since the early 80's, and to be honest Richard Arlington is the blame for most of the fair share Birmingham's current problems. He chose to pick-and-choose a lot of things with the city to invest upon and the schools wasn't one of them. The Roads and Sanitation Department was another and it was disbanded by him, but that is whole other conversation.

Back to topic: Mims is the perfect candidate to resolve a lot of the school district's current problems (his track record speaks for itself), but they must get pass this major hurdle first (sustainable funding). Hopefully, this 1-mill increase will solve this problem for the long term.

• 1 month later...

Well, it has been resolved that Curry Elementary and Kennedy Alternative. Banks Middle Schools, all of which are already empty will be permanently shuttered along with the alternative school, McCaw School, and the learning resource center, Eureka Center. Now the decision to layoff 500 employees still must be decided.

I really hope that this is the last time Birmingham School District will have to contract in the number of schools.

I think overall, the future is better for the Birmingham City School system than in quite some time. Stan Mims has proven to be a great leader... it will just take some time to dig out of the big hole that the previous leaders left the system in. Eventually, with all the stuff going on downtown, if folks are brining their kids in there with them, more schools will have to be built in/near downtown... or at least expanded.

I think overall, the future is better for the Birmingham City School system than in quite some time. Stan Mims has proven to be a great leader... it will just take some time to dig out of the big hole that the previous leaders left the system in. Eventually, with all the stuff going on downtown, if folks are brining their kids in there with them, more schools will have to be built in/near downtown... or at least expanded.

Birmingham way go the way of cities such as Cincinnati, Cleveland, Los Angeles, New York, Portland and Phoenix. That is the way of K-8 schools for much of the district's elementary level education.

Birmingham schools keep K-8s in mind

Superintendent Mims looks at transforming the school district from having elementary and middle schools to as many as 30 K-8 schools. However, due to the State Board of Education threat of taking over control of the district, the plan has been delayed until next year. The argument has been that the middle-school grades nationwide seems to be the weakest, so this will only improve this.

• 2 weeks later...

It is good to see that cooler heads won out in the end in Clay. The Town of Clay could learn a lot from Lincoln in how to deal with staying in the county school district, but still funnel funding only towns their schools in their zone.

PARK PLACE SCHOOL

There was an article of The Birmingham Weekly about the city newest academically-progressive magnet school. It will be a K-8 that will serve the residents of Park Place, Norwood, and allow students who tested into the school attend. It said that the main branch of the YMCA has already moved to Park Place and has plans to begin a cooperative between them, the school, Birmingham Museum of Art, Birmingham Public Library, The Birmingham Civil Rights Institute, and Tuskgee School of Architecture to create specialized learning programs for the school. This will be an absolutely amazing school for the City Center and the city that will go help prep students who would like to also attend Ramsey in the future.

PARK PLACE SCHOOL

There was an article of The Birmingham Weekly about the city newest academically-progressive magnet school. It will be a K-8 that will serve the residents of Park Place, Norwood, and allow students who tested into the school attend. It said that the main branch of the YMCA has already moved to Park Place and has plans to begin a cooperative between them, the school, Birmingham Museum of Art, Birmingham Public Library, The Birmingham Civil Rights Institute, and Tuskgee School of Architecture to create specialized learning programs for the school. This will be an absolutely amazing school for the City Center and the city that will go help prep students who would like to also attend Ramsey in the future.

That would be outstanding to have a quality school like that in the city center. Certainly would eliminate the arguments about the schools being terrible. I really think the future of the system is bright. It's tough right now going through this kind of transition, but I think it will pay off.

Archived