Developers want new 5 story bldg in "downtown" Bentonville

KJW

Interesting even if not necessarily novel ideas here for Bentonville:

William Wallace and Supha Xayprasith have requested the city rezone property at Southeast Eighth and "A" streets from residential to commercial, allowing them to construct a five-story, multiuse building.

The Bentonville Planning Commission is scheduled to consider the rezoning at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday.

Xayprasith said the building will include retail on the first floor, business offices and meeting rooms on the second and furnished residential units on the top three levels -- where the couple plans to live on the top floor.

"This is something I've always wanted to do," Xayprasith said, noting the building will give people an option to work, shop and eat in one location. "This town doesn't have to shut down after 5:30 p.m."

http://www.nwaonline.com/articles/2007/02/...bzfivestory.txt

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its a neat idea, I hope they can get all the proper variances and such (off site parking) to develop this thing. The site is less than half an acre.

Another project will be going to the next planning commission for the Main St Townhomes in Bentonville. It will be just East of the intersection of SE 7th St and S Main St. They'll feature two story ajoined homes with a courtyard separating the main structure from the garage.

I can't wait until some buys out Bentonville Plastics and we see more development along and around SW A St to SW 14th St. Some of that area is now in the floodplain however. Hopefully they won't allow development until the floodplain can be relocated in a way that won't adversely affect any currently developed land.

I really think parking is going to be a problem for this development. Being 30,000 sq ft that's 6,000 sq ft per floor. That will likely have to use up all the .38 lot which is why they are seeking C3 zoning - no setbacks. That will leave no room for parking unless its done subterranean. They don't have a direct adajacent lot for the provision of parking. If they're forced to build underground parking, I don't know how the project will stay economically feasible.

I got a chance to look at the layout for it earlier today. Looks more feasible, the building will be an L shape. They will have the building partially over some of the parking and that will encroach on the first floor retail. Many of the dwelling units are going to be very small with one very large unit for the owners. I suspect that may change. I'm not sure who wants to buy or rent a 450 sq ft apartment and fewer units will help with parking requirements. This will be the first phase with more to follow on nearby lots.

I got a chance to look at the layout for it earlier today. Looks more feasible, the building will be an L shape. They will have the building partially over some of the parking and that will encroach on the first floor retail. Many of the dwelling units are going to be very small with one very large unit for the owners. I suspect that may change. I'm not sure who wants to buy or rent a 450 sq ft apartment and fewer units will help with parking requirements. This will be the first phase with more to follow on nearby lots.

Archived