Spartanburg from the air

roads-scholar

Wow that took me a few minutes to get oriented. The foreground shows the new subsidized housing that replaced the Phillys Goins Apartments on Crescent St. I forget the new name of that place. Candler Park maybe? Midground is the Southside Rec Center (or whatever its called) on South Church. The weird looking square just infront of downtown is the Schulyer Building. If you look in the mid-upper right you can see the BellSouth anntenna.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

828613123_1b8c0d33a9_o.jpg

Long abandoned, the Converse Cotton Mill on the Pacolet River about 8 miles east of downtown Spartanburg.

828613037_0ef6208060_o.jpg

Hillcrest Shopping Center looking north. That's the Mary Black medical campus in the upper right.

828612991_64278b9014_o.jpg

The first of two perspectives of downtown Spartanburg. Here's downtown looking west.

828613147_1d67a96117_o.jpg

Here's downtown looking northeast.

Nice pics. I have to say that I like the BB&T building in Sptbg much better than teh Landmark building in Gville.

Nice pics. I have to say that I like the BB&T building in Sptbg much better than teh Landmark building in Gville.

Someone was telling me that BB&T doesn't even occupy any space in the building in Spartanburg anymore. Is that true? It is a nice building, but is sorta lonely out there on East Main all by itself.

Someone was telling me that BB&T doesn't even occupy any space in the building in Spartanburg anymore. Is that true? It is a nice building, but is sorta lonely out there on East Main all by itself.

Thats true. BB&T used to have a bank drive-thru accross Broad street in Broadwalk (which was built at the same time as BB&T), and some offices in the tower but they've since closed it. Denny's now occupies all but two or three floors of that building. I still don't understand why their letters are on top.

I took a trip our of GSP in April, and I snapped these on the way. I was fortunate to have an awesome seat ;)

aerialdowntown0407far.jpg

aerialdowntown0407.jpg

aerialdowntowncloseup.jpg

aerialdowntownlookingeast.jpg

The next two are looking south. You can see the Union Street leading to the tank farms in the background.

aerialdowntownlookingsouth1.jpg

aerialdowntownlookingsouth2.jpg

You can see the progress of Costco back in April. Its hopefully a lot further along now ;)

aerialwestgate0407-1.jpg

aerialwestgate0407-2.jpg

Thats true. BB&T used to have a bank drive-thru accross Broad street in Broadwalk (which was built at the same time as BB&T), and some offices in the tower but they've since closed it. Denny's now occupies all but two or three floors of that building. I still don't understand why their letters are on top.

Thanks, Spartan! I'm not sure why the sign is still up there, either...seems pretty odd to me, unless it's already paid for and is "free advertising" for them to have it up there? It is pretty misleading, though.

You can see the progress of Costco back in April. Its hopefully a lot further along now ;)

It's a LOT further along, now. I went by it today and it looks as though the gas station is open and the rest of the store should be opening very soon. Nice shots, Spartan!

• 1 month later...

2131094970074961210S600x600Q85.jpg

Downtown looking north, September 17, 2007

2852919250074961210S600x600Q85.jpg

Johnson Development Associates' 300 East Main Building (Carolina First) showing the construction already under way on their second office building. Note: the green space adjacent to the construction site will be the new location of St. Paul's Catholic Church.

2977655360074961210S600x600Q85.jpg

Downtown looking southeast. At the center left is the nearly completed Chapman Cultural Center complex.

2307662510074961210S600x600Q85.jpg

Downtown looking east with Morgan Square, the Chapman Cultural Center, and Renaissance Park clearly visible.

2161987230074961210S600x600Q85.jpg

Here's a close-up of the downtown library in the center of the photograph. Diagonally across Church Street from the library is the new Carolina Alliance Bank headquarters under construction. Directly behind the library on Broad Street is the 48-unit Library Commons condominium also under contruction.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Great shots. I love that first one. It makes me want to buy a house on Hydrick Street. Hampton Heights looks a lot closer to downtown in those images that perhaps I give it credit for. I'd like to see some more infill along Spring St and Harris Pl to make that connection a little better.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived