Charlotte Arts Master Plan

cityboi

There have been a number of articles about funding sources for Charlotte/Mecklenburg's arts plan, recently.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/ent...ts/10348949.htm

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/news/10481103.htm

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte...0/tidbits1.html

Funding Source..........Possible Proposal.................................Money Raised

Car-rental tax................Increase from 3 percent to 8 percent.....$67 million

Parking surcharge..........25 cents fee per wkdy per person..........$24 million

Uptown property tax.......All rates double....................................$17 million

Operational savings........Arts groups assume city costs...............$26 million

Mint Museum..................Partnership w/ private developer...........$20 million

Theater deal..................Taxes from new office tower.................$21 million*

I about fell off my chair when i read "All rates double" :cry:, but after reading the article more carefully, and doing the math, i realized it is only doubling the special uptown rate, which is a tiny sliver of the taxes we pay uptown. In First Ward, the rate is .0174%, which is currently ~$28/yr for me.

I am assuming that the N. Tryon Developer is Levine, since he always shows the mint museum in his plans for his first ward park and surroundings. (i guess that means the mint will move uptown circa 2030, when he finally makes a move on his land).

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every article out know talks about this "unnamed developer" that the mint is working with. Does anyone know anything or have any speculation as to what this North Tryon development is, who the developer is, or where it will be?

This below is from The Observer:

The Mint is working with a private developer for a North Tryon Street project that would combine a museum with a commercial site. The unnamed developer would assume the land costs and some of the expenses of running the building.

The Mint would then shrink its plans from 130,000 square feet to 100,000 square feet, while keeping its Randolph Road location open. Potentially, the city could use the property taxes from any new private development to help pay for the Mint.

I know the link says Myrtle Beah but it's The Observer

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld/charl...ws/10419335.htm

• 1 month later...

This is an article from the paper today, The arts council wants 147 million in new things and such. What do you think, should we do it? What are some of the ways that they can come up with funding without going all through the city and county? What are some of the art projects you would like to see here in DT?

--------------------------------------------------------

Arts plan plays to skeptical council

Members question whether city should back $147 million idea

RICHARD RUBIN

Staff Writer

Arts leaders' long-simmering pitch for new uptown museums and theaters fell on skeptical ears Thursday, as Mayor Pat McCrory and Charlotte City Council members repeatedly questioned the idea.

After the council's first extended discussion of the cultural plan, it remains unclear whether there is enough enthusiasm -- let alone enough money -- to move forward.

"We're going to have to scale this back, and we're not going to make the whole arts community happy," said Democrat James Mitchell.

The current list of projects would cost $117 million for the city and $30 million for Mecklenburg County. That much money would build an uptown Mint Museum of Art, a new modern-art museum, a renovated Discovery Place, an expanded Afro-American Cultural Center, a 1,200-seat theater and rehearsal space for the N.C. Dance Theatre.

The most likely sources of revenue are a rental car tax increase, a new tax on uptown parking and money freed up if the city requires arts groups to assume more of their own operating costs. But each of those options raises a different set of concerns.

"I just find it very difficult for me to be able to sit here and think about spending that type of money (on) arts and culture facilities, when simply our charge is to provide the basic needs of our citizens," Democrat Warren Turner said during the council's annual retreat, which started Thursday and ends today.

Without aggressive spending on museums and theaters, Charlotte will be unable to attract more large companies, said Democrat Susan Burgess.

"I think that to mature into a really great city, we have to invest more in the arts and cultural aspect of our city," she said.

Today, after examining its other priorities, the council will discuss where arts and culture fit in.

The Arts & Science Council has been trying to build new facilities for more than four years. The city included several cultural projects along with an arena on a June 2001 non-binding referendum. After that vote failed, the city built the arena using a different funding plan. The arts projects languished.

Arts leaders unveiled a renewed effort in late 2003. Then, last spring, they asked the city for $88 million and the county for $14 million. They also pledged to raise $52.5 million in endowments to support expanded programs and asked the council to pay for the projects as one large bundle.

But the council balked at making a decision for the 2004-05 budget. Republican Mayor McCrory established a task force to study the issue. The task force came back in January with a $144 million proposal, which included the full cost of an uptown Mint Museum, not just land.

Over the past month, city staff refined the numbers. The costs of many projects increased, but the overall price remained similar, because the Mint could become part of a mixed-use development on North Tryon Street, lowering its cost to the public.

But even after all that, council members raised some of the same questions that have lingered for nearly a year.

• 2 months later...

Here is a link to the News14 article.....I like that we will have the worlds largest theatre. (Read article to find out more)

http://www.news14charlotte.com/content/top....asp?ArID=92393

I think 16% is a bit excessive for a car rental tax.....12 or 13 seems to be the most I've ever paid.....but I'm all for the arts getting built, so bring it on.

I don't think it should be considered a burden. A cities citizens should be responsible for the future of their city, and arts and culture are a major part of any city.

What about the court building next to the Carillon on Trade Street? Is that empty? If it is, why don't they use it for a new art museum or something (or a college can use it as a law school?)...

(or a college can use it as a law school?)...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ask and you shall receive.

Queens Univ. has it under contract to buy from the city (who owns it currently and is leasing it to the GSA (the Feds. real estate arm)). They can excercise this option once the new Fed courthouse is complete. 2011? 2012?

Queens is studying forming a law school, and it seems likely that they will. This would be the facility that they would use. If not, then it is likely it will be used for their MBA program.

i thought that 12k number looked funny... but i couldn't see where it said world's largest, too. Now i see the tongue in cheek.

Here is the observer article:

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/ent...ts/11518789.htm

This seems doable... i just don't understand why all stuff has to be built via hotel-motel tax and rental car tax. why not ticket surcharge on cultural and entertainment events (including movie theatres). It is the same realm of society, only commercial art can pay for high art.

I wish there was money enough to pay for redesigning discovery place, but if it means more will be built, then that is okay.

Do you know why they are going to wait so long to build the new courthouse? It would be nice if they developed the parking lot by the arena sooner - it would really fill a void.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Feds have run into some money problems. They're putting off a bunch of new courthouses all over the nation. They haven't give the final word though on which ones will be given the ok.

• 2 months later...

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/ent...nt/12209940.htm

According to the Observer, the funding for the arts is expected to pass the council soon. The city seems likely to take the banks up on their offers for public-private partnerships to build the Mint, Bechtler, and the S Tryon Theatre. They will also likely request a rental tax increase from the state to fund the other projects, like Discovery Place.

This is great news, especially considering it really seemed dead not too long ago. I'm sure the Ritz and the massive S Tryon complex by Wachovia just has given a reality check for the city as to how much the banks provide the city, and when their CEOs are reiterating constantly that they need the arts, it will be impossible to ignore.

What is in the Bechtler's collection? I'm glad that Bank of America is willing to let the taxes generated from the Ritz Carlton going to the Arts. Especially with the Ritz Carlton being a 5 stars hotel, years after years, that property will surpass the $60 Million use to develop it.

What is in the Bechtler's collection? I'm glad that Bank of America is willing to let the taxes generated from the Ritz Carlton going to the Arts. Especially with the Ritz Carlton being a 5 stars hotel, years after years, that property will surpass the $60 Million use to develop it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

click back through this thread. i think it was detailed in some of the original news stories on the bechtler.

My only concern is that it will require state approval to raise the car-rental tax, and the state usually does not raise taxes aimed at tourist industries without blessing from a lobby group.....and the Charlotte car rental agencies do NOT support the tax hike.......so we'll see.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/news/12222695.htm

well, it appears there are enough council votes to pass this plan, but with the mayor vetoing, I wonder if that will make trouble for this tax in at the general assembly. we also must wait another month before they take the final vote.

I think, though, since wachovia is going to move forward, that it is as good as a done deal, so i think this is great news.

^ Agreed, dubone. I am cautiously optimistic about the plan.

IMO, one of the ways to get the public on board is to give them a visual. Look at what NASCAR HOF did. People love the building and are excited about it. I am no fan of the big oval, but I can get on board because I know what it will look like (and am all for Charlotte FINALLY having some world-class architecture). If the powers that be in the arts community could show us something tangible by a good progressive or star architect, I think people would come out of the wood work in support of this.

Mr Calatrava, are you listening?

Talked with some folks at ASC today. They tell me Wachovia will be releasing some renderings in about two weeks. When I questioned them about a star architect and the museums, I was told that Only the office tower and condo building are being designed by the Atlanta firm (that did Three Wachovia). The Mint and theatre piece are by "someone famous". The Bechtler piece may end up being designed by Swiss-Italian architect Mario Botta, a friend of Mr Bechtler and designer of the San Francisco Museum of Moder Art, among others.

Some of his work:

UBS Bank Headquarters, Basil, Switzerland

bank.jpg

Art Museum, Niemcy, Poland

16.jpg

MOMA, San Francisco

SanFranciscoSFMOMABo.jpg

The exterior of Discovery Place won't really change. Most of the money requested will go to HVAC and upgrading exhibits.

Archived