Charlotte Arts Master Plan

cityboi

Seems to me that either cities that are tourist destinations in and of themselves (i.e., Charleston, Savannah, New Orleans, etc.) or those that have a strong downtown retail component--in many cases, the same as the former--are those that have busy downtowns during national holidays. As such, the scene described for uptown Charlotte was much the same in Atlanta's urban core with the notable exception being the parks (Centennial, Piedmont). This is why I truly hope 3rd Ward Park gets put on the fast track; a signature urban park, particularly a well-designed one, does wonders for pedestrian activity in any city's downtown.

As far as North Tryon is concerned, you already know the biggest obstacle to bringing more investment and activity up that way: the vagrant congregating spots. But I suspect once something is done with the Hal Marshall county site, you might begin to see that situation rectified.

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All of that is fine, but no city will feel "full" (at least in the way of other, older, established cities), if the main draw is based on events-only establishments.

Maybe I wasn't clear in my post (highly probable) but I wasn't talking about all of Arts in Charlotte - only of one aspect. My point is that I think we've made great strides IN UPTOWN of the Visual Arts and now it would be nice to start developing more of the performing arts IN UPTOWN beyond major productions (traveling Broadway and major Dance/Opera/Symphony) shows . (sorry to shout, but I wanted to be clarify!)

I do agree with assessment that Charlotte as a whole needs more visual arts venues, but I would rather see the focus of that now be in the rebuilding of NoDa as a stronger gallery/arts district which I think it has lost to a degree. In the same vein most of the off Broadway and off-off Broadway stuff I suggest would probably be better located in NoDa or Plaza as well; however I think it might be good to have one or two located on Tryon street itself to offer a balance of entertainment on the strip.

Of course what I would love most of all is SHOPPING retail - and I hate to shop.

I do agree with assessment that Charlotte as a whole needs more visual arts venues, but I would rather see the focus of that now be in the rebuilding of NoDa as a stronger gallery/arts district which I think it has lost to a degree. In the same vein most of the off Broadway and off-off Broadway stuff I suggest would probably be better located in NoDa or Plaza as well; however I think it might be good to have one or two located on Tryon street itself to offer a balance of entertainment on the strip.

Of course what I would love most of all is SHOPPING retail - and I hate to shop.

NoDa,NoDa,NoDa!!.. Couldn't agree more. I lived in NoDa in the late 90s and really enjoyed being there. Walking to gallery crawls, bars, etc. The only thing I can think that will bring things together in a true urban sense of the word is more residential in 277. I have made the argument before that uptown needs to offer a more diverse range of options for people to live. I love the high-rise developments as much as the next person, but most can't afford it. My dream would be to see the street car from NoDa to Uptown asap. N.Davidson St could be developed with street facing row houses and businesses..

This link.. http://phillyskyline.com/hoods/cc/fitler/ is of a neighborhood in Philadelphia that is really in my opinion what a true neighborhood is. Diverse architecture, neighborhood pocket parks, businesses, and charming streets. I can be hard on Charlotte but only because like many of you, I see the potential. I am optomistic that all the hard work the city is doing to enhance our city is paying off.

• 4 weeks later...

I just found out recently that the studios at the NC Dance Theater can be converted into a black box theater. Apparently that is where this coming season's performance of Innovative Works will be performed!

From the NC Dance website:

New Theater – 701 North Tryon

This season Innovative Works will be performed in the new 200-seat theater inside Dance Theatre’s home in Uptown Charlotte. Moving Innovative Works to Dance Theatre’s home gives us the ability to try some new things we’re excited about. We’re taking Innovative Works from a performance to an experience – bringing you closer to the dancers than ever before, using our beautiful atrium to serve food and drinks throughout the evening, and giving you access to the dancers who will join the audience for dessert and coffee after the performance.

Archived