Charlotte Arts Master Plan

cityboi

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it is great news that a reknowned architect is designing the arts facilities. i hope they end up with some memorable and interesting (and especially in the case of the becthler), something that is a contrast to the more conservative architecture uptown.... without being fugly.

It is funny to me that all these projects are just Phase I of ASC's master plan. I definitely think all these projects are important enough to be in the first wave, but somehow i wonder how they expect to ever get phase II after exhausting the political process with phase I. It almost seems like they could have just put forth the mega-total-all-encompassing list. Many smaller projects fell out of the list, and now will likely not happen, because they would never receive enough support for their own revenue stream (new tax).

If it was this hard to fund Discovery Place, Mint Museum, and match funds for Bechtler's gift...how much likelihood will the others have of ever passing: Second Ward Gym, Traditional Music HOF, Greatest Places...?

http://www.artsandscience.org/index.asp?fu...ulturalPlanning

incidentally, here is a link to FAQs on the plan from ASC. It answers many questions, including the contents of the bechtler collection.

http://www.artsandscience.org/uploads/documents/CFMPFAQ.pdf

The new arts facilities won't come soon enough. As it happens, Forbes just put out its annual rankings of best cities for singles and Charlotte ranked 33rd out of 40, but was dead last in culture. Although personally, I happen to think lists like this are complete bullcr#p.

Maybe someone can answer this for me. I'm puzzled as to why the mayor isn't totally on board with this thing. My personal opinion is that this being the political season and his opponents seem to be touting a back to basics campaign, that this is his way of showing that he's not totally in the pockets of the bigwigs downtown. One of the statements that stood out to me in the announcement of the Ritz Carlton by Ken Lewis was that this along with the arts package would help his and other companies recruit the very best from around the country. I don't want to sound like an alarmist, but that could have been a not so subtle way of hinting that if we don't continue to make uptown a more lively and vibrant place to live and work, then the big dogs would be forced to look at other places that might better help them attract the best. And another thing. Wouldn't most of you agree that the arena and subsequent selling out of Courtside led to the other 6 condo projects? Has anyone come up with hard figures as to how much property taxes these projects would generate as well as the intangible figures as to how much these people would spend in area restaurants and retail? It seems to me that it would be far more than the extra money it's going to cost to police traffic around the arena this fall. By logical assumption, the Wachovia project would add even more of an impetus to locate more residential condos on that side of downtown. Hence, the extra revenue that is going to be generated from the inevitable piggy back development around the Wachovia project would far outweigh whatever costs opponents seem to be associating with this project, which in turn would help us continue to make our uptown an attractive place for companies to be and to help them recruit the best employees. Whew. Now let me get off my soap box.

I agree with everything you just said.....sometime back in the Charlotte Arena discussion I gave the yearly estimated NEW property taxes generated by what I saw as a direct result of the arena.....while ultimately there would be high-rises in downtown, Courtside did accelerate this trend by about 2 years IMO.

i thought Daytona was the birthplace of NASCAR?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Check out the HOF thread for more info, but in short.....

The first NASCAR race was in Daytona and their headquarters is in Daytona however, NASCAR racing was based on bootlegger drivers and the races they had (mostly) in North Carolina. Then you look at the makeup of the drivers and the majority of them are/were from the Charlotte region along with a majority of their shops/hq's.

Check out the HOF thread for more info, but in short.....

The first NASCAR race was in Daytona and their headquarters is in Daytona however, NASCAR racing was based on bootlegger drivers and the races they had (mostly) in North Carolina. Then you look at the makeup of the drivers and the majority of them are/were from the Charlotte region along with a majority of their shops/hq's.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually I thought Wilksboro was the "official" home of NASCAR. Not Charlotte or Daytona. I could be wrong. ;) I am not a fan, butremember reading that somewhere.

A2

The mayor was not against the arts package. He was concerned with three things. One, that the package was not as streamlined as it could have been (I tend to agree). Two, that the Arts & Science council has guaranteed the operating costs for these facilities in theory, but has no concrete plan for how to keep that guarantee should they not be profitable. Which, to my understanding means the city would be stuck with the bill. Third, they had not anticipated the recent rise in crime uptown that would occur by adding new attractions such as the arena and museums. The mayor vetoed the proposal in its current form, but made a substitute motion that 1% of the car rental tax increase go to increased public safety and that the arts get 80% of what they were proposing (thus giving them most of what they want, but forcing them to do some cost cutting that they have been fairly slow to do). So basically, the mayor was willing to accept most of the bloated proposal if they would simply allocate some funds to public safety. His proposal was defeated. In my opinion he was making the most sound decisions there so I think we should all hold off on nailing him to the cross for this veto.

It's all political as I've learned.....people make motions that they know will be defeated, vote against proposals that they support and know will be approved regardless, veto proposals even though they will be overturned......it's election time, and their is always grandstanding to appease the groups that you see are most key to re-election.

Again, the excitement of this project in it's current form will create a snowball effect for that side of town that will lead to the generation of property taxes and other sources of revenue that will more than outweigh any added costs it would incur. Wachovia's and Bofa's track record for supporting and building up this community are immeasurable. Their track record of success not only within their companies but also within the community would lead me to logically support them. In other words, if it aint broke don't fix it; don't bite the hand of the one that feeds you; etc.

Here is a link to the Mayor's Veto on the proposal:

http://www.news14charlotte.com/content/top....asp?ArID=98723

I think we all need to write to the Mayor and thank him for playing politics. If this project is scrubbed because of this I am going to be PISSED ! I mean everyone save two council members voted this thing through. What gives McCrory?

A2

^Agreed. I am less upset with Pat "No one really knows what I do for Duke Power" McCrory, than I am with Patsy Kinsey. What is her problem? Her district consists of all inner-city neighborhoods that will benefit the most from these projects. And she's a Democrat voting against the arts! I'll bet she doesn't even listen to NPR.

I think Atlrvr menitoned on here that she votes against anything related to uptown. I think I'm gonna have to give her a call and fill her in on what this package means to EVERYONE. She's apparently clueless.

^Agreed.  I am less upset with Pat "No one really knows what I do for Duke Power" McCrory, than I am with Patsy Kinsey.  What is her problem?  Her district consists of all inner-city neighborhoods that will benefit the most from these projects.  And she's a Democrat voting against the arts!  I'll bet she doesn't even listen to NPR.

I think Atlrvr menitoned on here that she votes against anything related to uptown.  I think I'm gonna have to give her a call and fill her in on what this package means to EVERYONE.  She's apparently clueless.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am right there with you MC. :angry: This is just ridiculous. Here we are ranked DEAD LAST in culture and our representatives want do jack to get some momentum in that area. Da*n I'm pissed !

A2

^Agreed.  I am less upset with Pat "No one really knows what I do for Duke Power" McCrory, than I am with Patsy Kinsey.  What is her problem?  Her district consists of all inner-city neighborhoods that will benefit the most from these projects.  And she's a Democrat voting against the arts!  I'll bet she doesn't even listen to NPR.

I think Atlrvr menitoned on here that she votes against anything related to uptown.  I think I'm gonna have to give her a call and fill her in on what this package means to EVERYONE.  She's apparently clueless.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If by inner city neighborhoods, you mean poorer neighborhoods like Piedmont Courts and some of the subsidized housing in 1st Ward, I can almost understand why she would vote no. It's a double edged sword. Yes, new projects would do wonders for downtown and bring in more taxes, etc. however, it will raise property values and raise property taxes for those people that she represents. If they aren't able to pay them, and she votes for the items that raise taxes, they may vote her out of office.

If by inner city neighborhoods, you mean poorer neighborhoods like Piedmont Courts and some of the subsidized housing in 1st Ward, I can almost understand why she would vote no.  It's a double edged sword.  Yes, new projects would do wonders for downtown and bring in more taxes, etc. however, it will raise property values and raise property taxes for those people that she represents. If they aren't able to pay them, and she votes for the items that raise taxes, they may vote her out of office.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

She represents Dilworth, Elizabeth, Myers Park (the original section), Eastover, Sedgefield, Plaza/Midwood, NoDa, etc..... (she does not represent Piedmont Courts for whatever reason).....so I don't think her constituents are hurting for cash....regardless, any lower-income residents more than likely won't be adversely affected by a $0.04 cent increase in the car-rental tax.

Who does represent Piedmont Courts? When it was built it was top of the line, but bviously that is no longer the case. So who is (or was) "in charge" of the community before its demolition was planned? Does anyone oversee maintenance, budget, etc.? Do its residents have to pay?

The Charlotte Housing Authority owns/operates Piedmont Courts.....as far as do people have to pay, I believe they have to pay some which may be dependent on income, but I'm not sure.

The city rep for the area is James Mithell.

Archived