Charlotte Arts Master Plan

cityboi

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok. i don't know if this will frustrate you more or make your day, A2?  i don't want to get anybody in trouble so i will just speculate.  let's say there is a new rendering of uptown charlotte, with all the new projects and more, being made. let's say i saw this rendering. let's pretend that i was blown away...that in a few years charlotte WILL look very different. if i had seen this rendering i would probably tell you the obvious - that the vue alone will change the skyline dramatically.  i might tell you how suprised i was to see the shift in skyline because of 2nd st. project (wachovia). if such a rendering exsisted i wonder when it would be made public?

i bet the nascar thing this wednesday will be really cool.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmmm. ;) Cicno, are you trying to tell me something??? You know this would make my day. :rolleyes: In all seriousness, I am not that pissed, I just get frustrated when our leaders do DUMB things.

Back to the taxes for arts debate. I think one of the more sensible things that McCroy has ever said was this from that article.

Before debating higher rental-car taxes, Mayor Pat McCrory says, the arts groups must first deliver a better business plan. The mayor believes too many details remain unresolved in the existing proposal to make a decision. He vetoed the package last month; his veto will likely be overturned this month.

I completely agree. The ASC has never managed to convince anyone that it would be a good steward of the public money it receives, and I don't see putting them in front of every other needed item on the city/county budget. (which is what they are asking) BTW, the last time the public was asked directly to vote on a bond for the ASC, it was flatly turned down. I would not be opposed to letting the public vote on this proposal as well (since they will be paying for it) but no one, especially the ASC, wants that.

The problem with this plan for the people in Huntersville is they will be taxed for it and yet it does nothing for Huntersville. Not everyone in the county agrees that every single new venue should be built in the CBD. Fortunately the NC Legislature tends to side with the towns against Charlotte, so this matter might be finally settled.

I would argue that something that improves the quality of life in Charlotte also improves the quality of life in Huntersville. Trust me, if Charlotte wasn't an attractive place for families to move, Huntersville would suffer as well (including property appreciation).

perhaps a compromise will be to just raise the taxes from rentals from the airport, which will eliminate the direct impact to h'ville and the 'poor' as discussed earlier in the thread.

honestly, though, huntersville is already the beneficiary of much of charlotte's investment and success, so you would think that h'ville and the towns, would be more eager to simply partner with charlotte on something that is supposed to improve the quality of life for the region. It isn't like there is very much rental car activity in huntersville....

Well... The towns have tried but Charlotte wants to hold all the cards and dictate terms.

Case in point, the current hotel/motel tax. Originally the towns signed on with Charlotte to support this tax. Taxes collected by the towns would be turned over to Charlotte to build the new convention center and to subsidize the Westin's construction. The idea being that a strong convention center would be good for everyone. With me so far?

So the towns gave Charlotte their tax money and CLT built the convention center and everyone was happy. Wrong. Charlotte refinanced the convention center twice and used the resulting funds to pay for items that should have been paid for out of CLT's general funding. The end result was that more money was owed on the convention center than it cost to build the thing in the first place. And the towns were paying off this debt. Charlottes's response to their complaints about this.. "too bad".

Well the towns went to the NC Legislature, McCroy managed to get himself thrown out of that place, and the towns won the right to keep the hotel/motel tax collected within their cities and EJTs. They have tried to work with CLT and have gotten a black eye many times for doing so. So why bother to continue trying?

Aside from that, personally I don't think that putting every venue in the CBD is even good for Charlotte itself. While it is good for property owners inside the loop, an Emerald City surrounded by high crime, sprawl, and desperation, is not a place that is going to do that well in the long run. This is the real reason why people growth in places like Huntersville (where you get some relief from this) continues at record pace despite efforts to stop it.

In a few years it could lead to problems such just outside the most gentrified city in the USA.

ba_riot2.jpg

ba_riot1.jpg

mn_oakriots-crowdwave_kk.jpg]

oakland4.jpg

ba_watch7.jpg

ba_watch6.jpg

mn_oakriots-wheelsmoke_mac.jpg

mn_oakriots-copslinedup_mac.jpg

ok. i don't know if this will frustrate you more or make your day, A2?  i don't want to get anybody in trouble so i will just speculate.  let's say there is a new rendering of uptown charlotte, with all the new projects and more, being made. let's say i saw this rendering. let's pretend that i was blown away...that in a few years charlotte WILL look very different. if i had seen this rendering i would probably tell you the obvious - that the vue alone will change the skyline dramatically.  i might tell you how suprised i was to see the shift in skyline because of 2nd st. project (wachovia). if such a rendering exsisted i wonder when it would be made public?

i bet the nascar thing this wednesday will be really cool.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

were you referring to the 3D fly-by here??

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte.../22/story1.html

it appears that while plans are continuing to move forward, and will likely be approved next week, they are looking for an alternate funding strategy as a result of the pushback from h'ville and others.

honestly, i am an uptown homeowner, and i would be for some of the funding to come from a slight addition to the special uptown property tax. uptown property owners do benefit a little more from these than others, so i think that it should be part of the funding mix. Earlier in the debate, they were talking about a tiny increase, which for most middle class homeowners would have been only about $20/year or so. Perhaps they could do a $10/yr increase and then just find the other half from another countywide, citywide, or tourist-based funding source.

(an uptown property tax would primarily be collected from the banks, who benefit the most from the arts).

Archived