Will New Orleans bid For 2011 SuperBowl?

eastover neworleans

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If New Orleans were smart it would get together with Miami, Phoenix, and San Diego and lobby as a group to create a 4 year cycle amongst the cities to host the bowl. Similar, to the way the BCS championship series rotates amongst several cities. I also think the NFC and AFC championships should be hosted by two of the other cities not having the Superbowl that year.

I think the Super Bowl should have a five city cycle (New Orleans, Miami, Phoenix, San Diego, and Houston). Houston put on a show that no one expected when the Super Bowl came in 2004:

superbowl38_03.jpg

mainstreet.jpg

I think we should have gotten it for 2009 instead of Miami (or was it Tampa?).

Yea, Houston really did a hell of a job with the Super Bowl in '04, and I'd like to see them get it again. However, the only problem I could see with Houston would be the sprawl. The central area of the city is much denser than it is made out to be, however, it doesn't offer the same type of density that Miami, New Orleans, and San Diego offer. The NFL loves New Orleans because of the fact that all entertainment, hotels, restaurants, museums, etc. are within walking distance of the Superdome. That isn't really the case in Houston. However, efficient mass transit can fix that problem fairly easily, and if the METROrail in Houston continues to be expanded and successfull, I would definately reccommend Houston to be on a city cycle within the next few years. :thumbsup:

Well that won't be a problem if it comes in 2012 (we lost to Tampa for the 2009 bid). MetroRail would be expanded to the Galleria and to the University of Houston. The Pavilions will be complete (with moving HD television screens and a House of Blues). The Downtown Park will be complete, also. All the partying could be done in Downtown (almost like last time). A lot of people would probably stay in the Galleria, but it would be no problem to get to Downtown because the University Line would be complete by then.

Then all of those pine trees were planted all across the city would be pretty tall, too, so the freeways would look nice. IMO, a much better situation than Dallas.

Yea, Houston really did a hell of a job with the Super Bowl in '04, and I'd like to see them get it again. However, the only problem I could see with Houston would be the sprawl. The central area of the city is much denser than it is made out to be, however, it doesn't offer the same type of density that Miami, New Orleans, and San Diego offer. The NFL loves New Orleans because of the fact that all entertainment, hotels, restaurants, museums, etc. are within walking distance of the Superdome. That isn't really the case in Houston. However, efficient mass transit can fix that problem fairly easily, and if the METROrail in Houston continues to be expanded and successfull, I would definately reccommend Houston to be on a city cycle within the next few years. :thumbsup:

^Yea, the Miami Superbowl situation is pretty unique, but it works very well. All of the entertainment and Super Bowl parties are spread out all over the city, but as far as I know, people have never complained about it. In some cases the distance between different events can be quite large, but it just doesn't seem to be a problem.

I'm mostly thinking about the 2006 Essence Fest in Houston. The most common complaint among its attendees was that Reliant Stadium was simply to far away from where they were staying, restaurants, clubs, etc., and that they missed the proximity of everything in New Orleans to the Superdome. Of course the Superbowl is a big difference, and Houston handled it very well in '04, but the movement of people from all of the parties and hotels downtown to Reliant Stadium for gameday and other events is the main thing that needs to be addressed before Houston can continuosly host the Super Bowl, IMO. However, with all of the work on LRT taking place in Houston right now, I don't see that being much of a problem by 2011 and beyond, and I couldn't see anything else holding the city back.

All of this talk about Houston is making me realize that I need to get back over to H-Town, and fast! I've got family in The Woodlands that I need to see, and of course, I need to hit as much of the city as possible with my Nikon. The only time I would be able to do it would be in a couple of weeks, but it looks like I'll be headed to Miami during that time. But definately this Summer. Houston is weird to me in that, it has a completely different "feel" than New Orleans, and they are two very different cities in many ways, but I feel right at home and extremely comforatable in Houston, as well as the rest of the state. Maybe that's because my family has some very old and strong connections with Texas, in Houston, DFW, and west Texas. Some people in the South really seem to be not too fond of Texas (to say it nicely), but that has never been the case with me, I love it over there.

Houston jsut isnt my type of place, but neither is most of Texas for that matter. SOmething about it doesnt work for me. Either way, its just hard to compare to the Superbowl experience in New Orleans. Its just so much more of a walkable city that it can handle large crowds better. People can be in so many places downtown and not feel like they are on a freeway. The Essence Fest complaints highlight many of these problems that Hosuton has. But actually I think one can argue that it would be worse in Dallas and Phoenix isnt too great either.

In Detroit's defense, they need all the revenue they can get so the Super Bowl was good for them. Dallas would be a good candidate for a Super Bowl because like New Orleans, restaurants, museums, nightlife, hotels & tourist attractions are in the city center and within a block of each other. The only issue the NFL would have is the distance, being that the new stadium is 30 miles from the city center.

That is a big downside to Dallas' (really North Texas') bid. Everything is so spread out. Some people would be in Dallas, others in Fort Worth. Some even in Arlington where the stadium would actually be. There is already articles coming up saying that Dallas wants the NFL's Headquarters to be at least in Dallas' city limits, not in Arlington where the stadium would be. The place really is divided:

Council: Dallas can proceed with Super Bowl bid talks

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...l.5dff9104.html

Yeah those people in Dallas definitely failed planning 101. Why they wouldnt put a beautiful new stadium downtown is beyond me. Its a great way to bring traffic to an otherwise, sterile and extremely boring downtown. Thats the problem with these types of cities, they are very large but have the feel of endless suburbia. If one were to try and walk; they either get Gawked at, or smacked by a car.

Archived