"BENTONVILLE, CAPITOL OF THE ARTS!"

Does it seem like Bentonville is trying to one-up Fayetteville with that statement by Bob Haynes, President/CEO of Mainstreet Bentonville? The Crystal Bridges Museum is very exciting, but to say Bentonville will replace Fayetteville as the arts capitol in NWA seems a bit obnoxious. The people at the Crystal Bridges Museum are talking about unifying Northwest Arkansas with a common goal and interest in the arts and Bentonville is trying to divide Northwest Arkansas with statements like "my city's arts will be better than yours."

[edit] forgot the link... www.mainstreetbentonville.org

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think people who work for each city is going to promote their city and make it sound like their city is so much better than everyone else's. Yeah it would be nice if the metro worked together. But when it comes down to it, there are people being paid be just one city and they are of course going to promote it because that's who's paying the bills.

Maybe "Capital Of The ART (as in museum)" would be more appropriate. There's already one arts facility built by the Waltons in the southern part of the metro; now there's going to be on in the northern part. Put one in Lowell and the area is 'artistically unified' :D

Seriously though, and I'm not knocking Bentonville or Main Street Bentonville, but they have a long way to go to create the arts scene that exist in Fayetteville. Sure, the Hill may not have incredibly valuable, rare American works of art, but it's got just about everything else.

I think people who work for each city is going to promote their city and make it sound like their city is so much better than everyone else's. Yeah it would be nice if the metro worked together. But when it comes down to it, there are people being paid be just one city and they are of course going to promote it because that's who's paying the bills.

Archived