2007 State of the City Address

tekk2k

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know that most of us have been salivating at the mouth for ANYTHING related to today's S O T C address, so I'm going to throw out a bone. I've been lurking around a few websites today for any updates on the mayor speech and came across this. Its not quite what most of us were looking for, but its still good to hear this type of news.

Homeless Population Down In Norfolk

I've got a headache. Remember when towering turtle said last year this thing would be 16 stories. Maybe he was right and the building was planned that way all along. Hopefully it's 16 on top of a parking garage. What a horrible day. I've got a headache. So it looks like the only major projects to watch now are Rivers Edge at Berkely, Harbors Edge 2, Wachovia Center, and Brambleton Tower.

Are they going to call it the Hilton Motor Lodge? I still think they should find another developer who will be willing to spend the money to build a decent building. This is sounding more like a dressed up Howard Johnson's every day. Norfolk deserves more than this.

Although I'm let down by the height reduction, HOPEFULLY (and I say that with a slight shake of my head and a sneer) that means a dramatic increase in the luxurity (if that's a word) of the building. Even though it's only 16 stories, it can fill in a tad and help towards density in that portion of downtown.... I'm trying to be positive, but I'm pretty disappointed as well :(

I think to string people (and the city) along for 3 years to announce this is rather paltry. Sigh. Darnit Norfolk!

Although I'm let down by the height reduction, HOPEFULLY (and I say that with a slight shake of my head and a sneer) that means a dramatic increase in the luxurity (if that's a word) of the building. Even though it's only 16 stories, it can fill in a tad and help towards density in that portion of downtown.... I'm trying to be positive, but I'm pretty disappointed as well :(

I think to string people (and the city) along for 3 years to announce this is rather paltry. Sigh. Darnit Norfolk!

Virginia beach is sticking it's tongue out now, nah nah nah nah nah nah, i can hear it from here!!

Okay, besides the Hilton disaster (i think that might be fitting) what's everyone else's feedback on this? Obviously reading a transcript leaves something to be desired, but in comparison to last years boom (anything compared to last year will fall short) it still leaves something missing. I appreciate the justification of GT, but no major announcements (for us at least) except basically everything's still moving forward (except Hoffler vdogg :whistling: )

Anyways, what's everyone elses take on the report?

The Hilton in Richmond being carved out of Miller & Rhoads Department store was touted as a full service Hilton when first discussed, but although work is going on at the project, it will end up being a Hilton Garden Inn. Maybe that's what your 16-story Hilton will be; Disappointing, but, hey, a new hotel is a new hotel. Will yours still have the conference center?

You guys have a lot going on down there and much to be proud of. A well-designed 16-story hotel near Waterside will add density to the skyline. :) That's a plus.

I applaud you for putting a brave face on this but you and I both know this thing is a motel 6.

Well lets look at the bright side guys, there was some good news:

Harbors Edge 2 confirmed

Brambleton tower made a deal with ymca, meaning no reduction in units (if they couldn't get the ymca land units would've been reduced to 80)

Rivers Edge at Berkely still has 310 units, therefore likely is still over 30 stories

Wachovia Center is about as solid a development i've ever seen in Norfolk, nothing but calamity can stop this one.

201 twenty one has finished its design review process and Brambleton tower is starting, meaning both will probably break ground as scheduled this summer.

We have all of DT Plaza and the Snyder lot to work with. Towers there will really add to the city's skyline while the Hilton wouldn't have that much and Ghent South wouldn't at all due to its location.

And last but not least, I read an article that said that real estate has already bottomed out, and that the market will start rebounding later this year. :)

He did the same last year. I am fairly confident of the 34 number (31 residential and 3 mechanical). That number has never changed. Even when they first announced it was 31 it was actually 34 with the mechanical floors included (the VP later corrected this number in a following article). Since normally only occupied floors are counted in the total count however 31 is accurate to say.

Well, hopefully the Hilton is 16 hotel floors, 6 parking, and a couple mechanical? I still think it will be a fairly tall structure (by Norfolk standards). They say 205 rooms, which is a bit less than they originally proposed, but not enough to cut off 9 floors.

We're fortunate the Hilton wasn't scratched all together. The horrendous condo addition to the tower is lopped off and we'll be able to see Trader in the background of the skyline. I'm tryin to look at the news in the most positive light possible and just want the Hilton built and the saga over with!

Archived