2007 State of the City Address

tekk2k

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm also trying to have a little perspective on all of this. We've gone from very heady times to a downturn. Collectively, we also used to be exited about every new prospect. That hasn't completely changed, but we've become more concerned about design and marketablity. After all, generations have to live with these buildings. And our forum serves our community in some small way. Vdogg, and the rest of you, I thank you.

I actually think that a modest height might work best for the Hilton, given the design. I'm more letdown by the Fort Norfolk project, and the probability that no 35-40 story beauty is in the works. I never thought the Hoffler project had a chance in its location, although in ten years or so, who knows.

The good news is Granby Tower, albeit controversial. That will be a fine landmark, whether 31 or 34 stories. Imagine the sunlight streaming off of its aluminum and glass facade, and the lit spire at night. And there will be more retail space near the mall--more street life. Something will come of the Kotarides project too, giving some life to a long barren dead spot. The city is getting better.

Is Robert Johnson the only minority developer in America? I don't think his race has anything to do with allowing him to put up just any medeocre structure on a valuable piece of downtown property. The only thing that would get me back on board with this project is an elaborate and refreshing design. If your going to put up a 16 story building on that site, atleast make it interesting. Is that too much to ask for?

We're fortunate the Hilton wasn't scratched all together. The horrendous condo addition to the tower is lopped off and we'll be able to see Trader in the background of the skyline. I'm tryin to look at the news in the most positive light possible and just want the Hilton built and the saga over with!

I know many of you on here are really only interested in the next "tall building" but I really think DT Norfolk is near a turning point. I would rather see more dense development at a ground level than a 35, 40, 45 story building. If the Hilton is scrapped, those of us who live down here are stuck with another huge parking lot for another few years until the inpet city government manages to bungle something else up.

I would much rather see the city put a huge effort into bringing more retail DT, getting more development to spread north and east and let the tall building come later. In Boston, the tallest building sits quite a way away from the CBD. (wouldn't it be interesting to have a "midtown" of tall buildings spread up Monticello?) LA has a huge number of tall buildings but it's DT is a dead, bleak place to be. As someone who lives down here, I would love to see more stores, more investment/encouragement of ground level retail and more people.

I think a lot of us are more upset about the developer and his tactics than the height of the building. This guy reminds me of the Navy. The only difference is that the Navy has jobs and and billions of dollars behind it, Bob Johnson only has this "ok" building to bargain with.

I thought that Norfolk was in need of another hotel downtown, and that others had shown some interest in developing here. I think it's now past time to move on and find a cooperative developer for the Hilton site. Having failed on timeliness, good faith effort and on design quality, Mr. Johnson needs to be taught a polite lesson.

Roll his proposal up, put it in a tube marked "Return to sender" If Norfolk wants to draw large conventions then do this thing right. Keep the goal in focus and give the City a signature building that will attract the kind of business it wants.

Mr. Johnson is not very serious about Norfolk. How many hotels has he built from the ground up?

Again, I think the primary responsibility for lack of progress on this development lies with Mr. Johnson, not the city. As for being stuck a few more years with a vacant lot, is that so bad? We've already waited 3 years so what's a few more to make sure that this development is both done right and is of a quality that Norfolk deserves?

I wouldn't worry too much about what comes out at the SOC address. It seems most projects sprout up out of nowhere (albeit, they are usually close held until details are worked out). Cases in point: the Berkeley project and Wachovia building. As for Fort Norfolk, yeh there's some dissapointment on the announced project, but this is only the beginning.

• 11 months later...

Archived