Newest plans for Colonel Glenn/I-430 retail corridor

I'm a longtime viewer and a first time post-er and i noticed that this was not on the site yet.

Apparently Flake and Kelley and former mayor Jim Dailey are involved in a potential development at the old "Village at Brodie Creek" site. Its to include approx. 500,000 sq ft. and possibly could include some office space. There looking at mostly junior anchors right now (stores around 60,000 sq ft.) Kelley says the project could be completed in as little as 2 years or as many as 7-8 years if problems are encountered but that's not expected, but what problems are anticipated. I will try and post the demozette article if i can.

http://www2.arkansasonline.com/news/2007/feb/02/investors-planning-retail-hub-i-430-20070202/

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm a longtime viewer and a first time post-er and i noticed that this was not on the site yet.

Apparently Flake and Kelley and former mayor Jim Dailey are involved in a potential development at the old "Village at Brodie Creek" site. Its to include approx. 500,000 sq ft. and possibly could include some office space. There looking at mostly junior anchors right now (stores around 60,000 sq ft.) Kelley says the project could be completed in as little as 2 years or as many as 7-8 years if problems are encountered but that's not expected, but what problems are anticipated. I will try and post the demozette article if i can.

http://www2.arkansasonline.com/news/2007/feb/02/investors-planning-retail-hub-i-430-20070202/

Flake and Kelley and Dailey have way more clout than the other groups did. The demand must've come from the retailers and I bet they know something, that's what they do. Flake and Kelley, as the article mentioned, idoes a great deal of consulting for finding locations for retailers wanting to open stores in the market.

Could this be where Macy's will locate its first Arkansas store?

Still, I'd rather see a large retail district in one location that sprawled all over the southern segment of I-430 with mid-sized retail at each exit.

I was wondering what retailers would go into this development. Shackleford Crossing is getting mostly midlevel stores like JC Penny, Dunlaps and a WalMart Supercenter while the Promenade at Chenal will most likely get high end retailers.

Is this a place that Macy's or other retailers that aren't in the market want to locate or will they go to the Promenade? Pleasant Ridge has space available as well and some retailers may go there just to get into the market.

It will be interesting to see what retailers are announced for this development.

I agree also that I would rather see a large development instead of all of these smaller ones.

• 2 weeks later...

Wondering what the site work south of the Rave and Land Rover/Jag/Lincoln-Mercury dealerships is?

A significant shopping center will be up there anchored by a Dave and Busters fronting 430 and will also include a Chili's. A Mercedes/BMW dealership will be located right next to that.

I haven't seen this in the media yet so if it was there, I just missed it.

Wondering what the site work south of the Rave and Land Rover/Jag/Lincoln-Mercury dealerships is?

A significant shopping center will be up there anchored by a Dave and Busters fronting 430 and will also include a Chili's. A Mercedes/BMW dealership will be located right next to that.

Cool. I'm very surprised that Riverside Motors would be moving their Mercedes dealership from Riverdale/midtown, but not surprised necessarily by the BMW dealership (since its in surburbia anyway). However, this will be a BIG boost to the new Jaguar/Range Rover dealership which seemed all alone at that location (by Rave) and too out of the way from comparable makes. Anyone else this it was weird that Infiniti built a LARGE, all-new dealership at this location, then not 18 months later moved it back to the OLD location and turned the "new" location into a Kia (or Hyundai, or some Korean outfit) dealership? Seems like such a waste of resources! Infiniti would have been better off at this location to feed off of the traffic of similar demographic.

What about North Point Volvo (currently next door to BMW)? I suppose this will leave Parker Audi and Parker Cadillac (and Volvo...depending on that issue) alone off of Rodney Parham. I'm still in shock that LR doesn't have Porsche or Saab...I've been told there are political/dealership pressures to NOT bring back the Porsche franchise here b/c Memphis and Dallas sell a lot of cars to LR buyers. Saab isn't surprising since their sales are lackluster. There are a TON of smaller markets with Porsche (Springfield is one example).

Cool about Dave and Busters, but I'm kindof disappointed by the location (though they tend to be suburban). Wouldn't that be cool in the River Market?

My wife has an Audi we bought in Dallas. Here the Audi and Porsche dealerships tend to go together and I'm surprised Parker doesn't add Porsche to their Audi dealership. While it's true that it would siphon business away from dealers in other cities you would think Posche would want it as a lot of potential buyers won't buy one without a local dealership to service it. I own a Land Rover and wouldn't have bought it without a local dealership.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a small Saab dealership enter the market with the increasing popularity of European brands.

I wonder what will become of the old Land Rover/Jag dealership on Cantrell.

I owned an A4 until about 2 years ago when I purchased an '06 BMW 330i (truth be told, I loved my Audi more). So...being a car enthusiast in general and an Audi owner, I followed this story quite a bit when Parker was opening their new Audi dealership. I was told that Porsche wasn't going in with Audi b/c in recent years, they've been trying to distance themselves from Audi. Plus, there was no room for Porsche b/c the Audi dealership was put into the old Lexus location (which was incredibl small).

I still can't believe that Porsche isn't here. My best friend bought a Boxster, and its been an incredible inconvenience for him without local service. LR's income is WELL above the national average, and is a fairly wealthy city in relation to comparable markets.

I'm not sure what will become of the old Jaguar/Land Rover dealership...it currently sits empty as the new one is open.

This is supposedly set in stone per the owner of a business adjacent to the site but it's not public as far as I can tell.

Since the whole Dave and Buster's concept started at the old train station in LR it wasn't too far-fetched.

If the other tenant you're referring to is the Memphis take off on Dave and Buster's (can't recall the name) that has a bowling alley in the basement I wouldn't be surprised if they were looking in the area as well. I would guess only one of those two could survive in the market and the first one there has dibs.

• 1 month later...

Archived