cutting spending

runawayjim

i read or saw an interview somewhere recently that the current republican party (including bush) is in favor of cutting spending and has been doing this. and that because of it, they can cut taxes.

now i just saw the following news alert at the top of cnn.com:

"The White House will ask for another $100 billion to fund the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan this year, plus $145 billion for 2008, a senior administration official told CNN Friday."

does spending on this war not count as spending in their eyes or do they just think the american people are really that naive?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think congress should say no. Bush can either come up with the money himself or he can pull the troops out of Iraq. This all comes on a day when a report is released that the next 18 months will be hell in Iraq.

The philosophy here seems to be: Gut any social programs that help the elderly, the poor, veterans, or students.. then give big tax cuts to the super rich and miniscule ones to everyone else... then go ahead and invade countries and waste hundreds of billions of dollars.

Never mind that the guy that fought in Vietnam can't pay for his meds that keep him sane, another poor family will go without medicine or food tonight, students will be burdened unduly with debt from rising college costs/shrinking financial aids, and elderly people won't get the care they need because they can't afford it. As long as Bill Gates gets a nice tax cut.. because he really deserves it. Poor rich people.. they're so abused.

THe Republican party is completely inept when it comes to spending. This has been obvious since, oh, about 1980.

Most friends of mine that vote Republican for "fiscal reasons" typically don't care about deficits.. their vote tends to come from contempt for the poor and this notion that the Democrats just want to steal most of your money and give it to lazy people. And in reality, that's basically what the REpublicans are doing.

This just pisses me off to no end.

Bush actually has the gall to ask for a quarter TRILLION dollars to fund his pet war? That is $800 for every man, woman, and child in the U.S. Might as well fork it over right now.

And for what? Nobody knows anymore. Democracy? Freedom? Bull$hit.

Bring 'em home.

This just pisses me off to no end.

Bush actually has the gall to ask for a quarter TRILLION dollars to fund his pet war? That is $800 for every man, woman, and child in the U.S. Might as well fork it over right now.

And for what? Nobody knows anymore. Democracy? Freedom? Bull$hit.

Bring 'em home.

Archived