"Blizzard 2007"

Timize

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Perhaps it didn't reach down here, but there was a huge blizzard in 1999 or 2001 or something, at least in Northern Michigan. Some places reported 90 inches of snow over about 4 days. The only part of my car that was visible was the antenna. The drift in front of our garage actually connected to the snow on the roof.

Having spent the last week in Southern California, coming home on Thursday to all this snow wasn't my cup of tea.

I just got home from picking up my sister on Plainfield, most of the stores are closed due to weather. People are driving way too fast, if you have to go out, be careful!

I wonder if Cannonsburg is busy today....

Out looking for wi-fi, I walked DT. (The bagel place at Michigan & College: closed.) Thought about setting up in the heated habitrail at GRCC.

Four Friends: closed. Ice rink: closed. You'd think it was Dec 25.

Mackay Tower: open, heated, Beaner's (closed) wi-fi works great. Handsome young security guard just came in and checked the place.

There's a nice photo montage showing the original short building and the tower. Horse-drawn wagons and streetcars, too.

Despite the horrible weather and the advisories to stay off the road, that didn't stop people from risking their lives on the road just to get a pizza. I remember earlier this summer we had a tornado warning.. that didn't stop people from coming in to get pizza. I wanted to hit all of them with a hammer.. how stupid can one be?

Despite the horrible weather and the advisories to stay off the road, that didn't stop people from risking their lives on the road just to get a pizza. I remember earlier this summer we had a tornado warning.. that didn't stop people from coming in to get pizza. I wanted to hit all of them with a hammer.. how stupid can one be?

We were up north near Petoskey all weekend and it was snowing like crazy up there, too. The thing that irritates me is that the drive was only bad in two places -- between Petoskey and Cadillac (that two lane stretch that is dangerous even without snow) and once we crossed over into Kent County. Somehow every county road commission (or whatever governmental authority is responsible for snow clearing) between Cadillac and Kent County managed to have at least one lane of 131 clear, but the KCRC (or whatever governmental authority is responsible for snow clearing) was completely unable to do this here. What gives?! Then, I get up this morning to drive downtown into work and it's absolutely no better. For Pete's sake, it hasn't snowed significantly for a day and 1/2 and we can't even get any sand down?!

/Rant

--Mav

We were up north near Petoskey all weekend and it was snowing like crazy up there, too. The thing that irritates me is that the drive was only bad in two places -- between Petoskey and Cadillac (that two lane stretch that is dangerous even without snow) and once we crossed over into Kent County. Somehow every county road commission (or whatever governmental authority is responsible for snow clearing) between Cadillac and Kent County managed to have at least one lane of 131 clear, but the KCRC (or whatever governmental authority is responsible for snow clearing) was completely unable to do this here. What gives?! Then, I get up this morning to drive downtown into work and it's absolutely no better. For Pete's sake, it hasn't snowed significantly for a day and 1/2 and we can't even get any sand down?!

/Rant

--Mav

Archived