large tract of land bordering downtown Greensboro to be developed

cityboi

Thanks for the link DCB. Even though these are early renderings, I love this village style concept. I'm a little skeptical about the hotel that was proposed earlier in this project. Its not a good location for a hotel but a mix use of residential, retail and educational facilities is a good fit for this site. Its just one block a way from the downtown greenway which is a plus. The renderings look similar to the Village at North Elm. I think eventually the central business district will expand to include this property but I still consider this as being downtown since its right on the border. I don't think it will be much of a problem getting the financing for this project since the House of Prayer organization is a pretty wealthy organization. They certainly have the money to back it. H.O.P has done multi-million dollar projects like this for years in other parts of the country.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be a little cautious with my optimisim until I see the actual plans. I'd feel better about a private developer over a church developing the property.If the architecture looks like the over-styled and over-scaled church, then it will be a missed opportunity. With any luck, they will build a high density urban development that will truly expand downtown to the east. Personally, I wish the old post office building was saved or incorporated into a new design. Great modern era buildings like that are becoming an endangered species.

It looks like they are really pushing this forward. The News & Record stated the The House of Prayer has put money aside to make this project happen. More than likely the money is coming from the national organization. The local House of Prayer would not have the money for a project of this scope. Traditionally projects like this are done by developers so it will be interesting to see the process of this project. Its certainly unique and would be the largest development in Greensboro's history built by a church organization. I don't really care if its a developer or a church thats behind it, as long is this happens and it will certainly serve as a gateway into downtown coming from the east. I do think there need to be some changes to East Market Street around this development. Currently its sort of like a mini highway. They did reduce the number of lanes some years ago but its still not as pedestrian friendly as I would like.

Archived