River Tower (Completed)

vdogg

• 2 weeks later...

River Tower should break ground before the end of this month according to an article from January 28th.

https://seniorlivingnews.com/harbors-edge-names-new-executive-chef/

"Meier’s addition coincides with the community breaking ground next month on a $200 million River Tower expansion that will add 147 apartment homes to meet high demand. The new River Tower expansion features unrivaled views of downtown Norfolk and the Hampton Roads Harbor."

2 things of note, price and number of units have gone up SIGNIFICANTLY, which probably accounts the final financing hurdle mentioned earlier. Hard to imagine we don't get another floor out of this. May be back to 25/26.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Norf native said:

Does that mean construction will start soon?

That Grant is to be paid after construction so it likely doesn't have any effect on the timetable. That said, it sounds like they're almost sold out.

Screenshot_20190401-095141.png

• Like 1

Up to 150 apartments now.

https://www.13newsnow.com/mobile/article/news/local/mycity/norfolk/groundbreaking-this-week-for-norfolks-river-tower-expansion/291-72521b73-eda5-437e-b0f4-1f3eeaf9f71c

8, 2019

NORFOLK, Va. — This week, crews in Norfolk will begin work on the multi-million dollar River Tower expansion.

A groundbreaking ceremony takes place this Wednesday for the new building. It will have nearly 150 new apartments overlooking downtown Norfolk and the Elizabeth River.

• Like 1

This is such a bittersweet moment. I'm so happy to see this tower finally under construction, but I cry a little bit every time I see the original rendering. It should be noted that the architects that changed it to that uninspiring design were originally known as CMSS Architects (now Clark Nexson). Anybody who's been around this forum for a long time will recognize that name and remember just how bland their  designs used to be, so it all makes sense. I will say that the design of their own tower at Town Center isn't too bad, but I can't for the life of me understand why the developers changed architects like that.

3 hours ago, vdogg said:

This is such a bittersweet moment. I'm so happy to see this tower finally under construction, but I cry a little bit every time I see the original rendering. It should be noted that the architects that changed it to that uninspiring design were originally known as CMSS Architects (now Clark Nexson). Anybody who's been around this forum for a long time will recognize that name and remember just how bland their  designs used to be, so it all makes sense. I will say that the design of their own tower at Town Center isn't too bad, but I can't for the life of me understand why the developers changed architects like that.

CMSS Architects is part of Mason&Hanger, not Clark Nexson.  No affinity or affiliation with any of the three here :) 

35 minutes ago, vaceltic said:

CMSS Architects is part of Mason&Hanger, not Clark Nexson.  No affinity or affiliation with any of the three here :) 

I could've sworn they changed their name and joined them or something. Now I have to dig up old articles. :lol:

One weird quirk of mine is that I love downtowns that have an overpass going through the city, which Norfolk lacks.

But hopefully, soon we’ll start seeing a similar view from 264 on the Harbor Park, Gateway Tower, and SPQ. Like in the next five years. 

• Like 1