Jump to content

River Tower (Completed)


vdogg

Recommended Posts


2 hours ago, BFG said:

I know I said Midtown earlier, but Fort Norfolk is a great name that highlights that area’s history. 

LOL my head's whipping. 

I'll go it alone then, no problem, and say that "midtown" is a more modern, cosmopolitan term, while "Fort Norfolk"  reaches back to our colonial, military past and seems provincial and dated.  

The  actual Fort Norfolk is well marked and isn't going anywhere , So that should be enough. All of this new development really has zero relation to the fort or the history of that area. 

Most major cities have a Midtown,  it makes sense here spacially, so let's have one.  

Edited by baobabs727
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, baobabs727 said:

LOL my head's whipping. 

I'll go it alone then, no problem, and say that "midtown" is a more modern, cosmopolitan term, while "Fort Norfolk"  reaches back to our colonial, military past and seems provincial and dated.  

The  actual Fort Norfolk is well marked and isn't going anywhere , So that should be enough. All of this new development really has zero relation to the fort or the history of that area. 

Most major cities have a Midtown,  it makes sense here spacially, so let's have one.  

How many cities actually call it "Midtown __CITY NAME__" though? And for those that do, don't they usually have multiple neighborhood's that comprise a mid-town? And not just literally one neighborhood that already has a name?  I'd also say that Midtown is just about the most generic thing a committee could come up with to name an area (just a notch above "Town Center" for me). 

Fort Norfolk is fine. In fact, I prefer Fort Norfolk to Midtown, Uptown, West Side, Center City, The __________ District, and any other names that literally any city in the world could lay claim to. The thing holding back that area ain't the name, I'll tell you that.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah Midtown seems like it should be bigger than one neighborhood. Also if Military Circle ever gets developed, wouldn't that be midtown. Fort Norfolk's is fine even though I don't love it. That's what most people call it already I think. What about SOCO (South Colley)? You already got North Colley popping off on the other end. 

Let's call it "the perfectly fine neighborhood they demolished for no reason and took 60 years to rebuild."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/24/2020 at 8:20 PM, Arctic_Tern said:

How many cities actually call it "Midtown __CITY NAME__" though? And for those that do, don't they usually have multiple neighborhood's that comprise a mid-town? And not just literally one neighborhood that already has a name?  I'd also say that Midtown is just about the most generic thing a committee could come up with to name an area (just a notch above "Town Center" for me). 

Fort Norfolk is fine. In fact, I prefer Fort Norfolk to Midtown, Uptown, West Side, Center City, The __________ District, and any other names that literally any city in the world could lay claim to. The thing holding back that area ain't the name, I'll tell you that.

I don't think I follow you. I know ATL has a "Midtown" that they refer to without the "ATL" part.  They know where it is, in what city it's located lol. Why would Norfolkians  need to reference the "Norfolk" part?  Isn't that kind of obvious or redundant?  Outsiders might use both words, I don't know. I think perhaps you're getting into the weeds with that argument. 

Same with the multiple neighborhood inclusion. I never mentioned there should not be neighborhoods within Midtown.  Of course you can still have Fort Norfolk as the actual Fort name, Atlantic City, Chelsea, North Colley, West Ghent,  whatever you want in there.  The medical complex is now dominating the  skyline in that area and so it needs to be included in the broader, overarching context of a new, modern name reflective of the explosive growth there. 

Finally, what's holding back what? There's nothing holding back that area.  It's flourishing.  Yeah, again I don't seem to follow.

Edited by baobabs727
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/25/2020 at 2:42 PM, Norfolk757Kid said:

Yeah Midtown seems like it should be bigger than one neighborhood. Also if Military Circle ever gets developed, wouldn't that be midtown. Fort Norfolk's is fine even though I don't love it. That's what most people call it already I think. What about SOCO (South Colley)? You already got North Colley popping off on the other end. 

Let's call it "the perfectly fine neighborhood they demolished for no reason and took 60 years to rebuild."

Since Norfolk has the Midtown tunnel, any type of "midtown" would probably be over by that....but then there is also a Midtown Shopping Center at Granby and Little Creek Rd, so who knows, Midtown could be anywhere you want Midtown to be.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/29/2020 at 3:07 AM, urbanlife said:

Since Norfolk has the Midtown tunnel, any type of "midtown" would probably be over by that....but then there is also a Midtown Shopping Center at Granby and Little Creek Rd, so who knows, Midtown could be anywhere you want Midtown to be.

We have this same issue in Richmond.  We even have "Uptown" in between "Downtown" and "Midtown."

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

11 minutes ago, EJ_LEWIS said:

Wow River Tower has quite the impact on Fort Norfolk.   I hope more high rises will be coming to Fort Norfolk in the future. 

Lord knows there's space for it. There's a TON of potential for an accessible urban waterfront district in that area. I wish that one apartment complex didn't (apparently) fall through. Would have gone a long way with contributing to the character they're looking for. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, vdogg said:

19th actual floor completed. Working on the 20th (labelled 21st).

MVIMG_20200721_193851.jpg

MVIMG_20200721_193759.jpg

MVIMG_20200721_193730.jpg

You could easily tell me this is the entire skyline of another small city and I'd believe it. Midtown is developing quite nicely. Wanted to get some top of the garage picks but there was lightning and I didn't feel safe up there.

 

MVIMG_20200721_201233.jpg

MVIMG_20200721_201223.jpg

MVIMG_20200721_201149.jpg

MVIMG_20200721_201111.jpg

Great pictures. Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Actual 20th floor completed, elevator shaft goes up to the actual 24th floor. Not seeing indications that they've topped out yet, we're probably going to get a lot of lift from that glass crown.  It's interesting to me that the elevator shaft forms are still in place, makes me wonder if we might still go higher.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, baobabs727 said:

So skipping 13, you’re saying they think they’re on 21 right now? So three more to go Or only two, i.e., is 24 mechanical?

They have completed what they call the 21st (actual 20th floor). Elevator shaft currently stops at an actual 24th floor. Whether that floor is considered mechanical, time will tell, but there will be at least 24 physical floors. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Given that each crane mast section is 20ft you can eyeball the height of the tower when comparing to the total height of the crane itself. Elevator shaft tops out at around 270ft from the looks of it. The crown may extend anywhere from 10-20ft above that last floor which will give us a 280-290ft final height if 24 will indeed be the last floor. 27 floors with the way they're building it would have given us around 320ft, which is close to the 326ft quoted in the paper when the tower was 27 stories, so fairly comfortable with the height estimate.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, vdogg said:

Given that each crane mast section is 20ft you can eyeball the height of the tower when comparing to the total height of the crane itself. Elevator shaft tops out at around 270ft from the looks of it. The crown may extend anywhere from 10-20ft above that last floor which will give us a 280-290ft final height if 24 will indeed be the last floor. 27 floors with the way they're building it would have given us around 320ft, which is close to the 326ft quoted in the paper when the tower was 27 stories, so fairly comfortable with the height estimate.

Most excellent, and I concur. This thing will turn out much better than I feared after the scale-back ...and  not so much “worse” than originally conceived.  If that makes sense lol. Project salvaged.

Now if only we could get rid of the brick! Lol. Can’t have everything I guess. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/25/2020 at 3:04 PM, vdogg said:

Given that each crane mast section is 20ft you can eyeball the height of the tower when comparing to the total height of the crane itself. Elevator shaft tops out at around 270ft from the looks of it. The crown may extend anywhere from 10-20ft above that last floor which will give us a 280-290ft final height if 24 will indeed be the last floor. 27 floors with the way they're building it would have given us around 320ft, which is close to the 326ft quoted in the paper when the tower was 27 stories, so fairly comfortable with the height estimate.

If only they could find a way to tack another 7' onto that quoted height so it could be classified as a skyscraper (333').

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Icetera said:

If only they could find a way to tack another 7' onto that quoted height so it could be classified as a skyscraper (333').

The building itself will only be between 280-290 ft, so 7 ft won't matter. The crane is 330ft. Original tower would've been 326 ft.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • vdogg changed the title to River Tower (Completed)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.