River Tower (Completed)

vdogg

1 hour ago, baobabs727 said:

Is it possible that they are sending the elevator shaft into the mechanical floor or floors? I mean I don’t have the schematics in front of me. Maybe none of us do.

However, It would not shock me if they were adding a floor to two because sometimes with these highrise projects,  leasing activity doesn’t really explode until people get excited as they see some steel and glass going up. Didn’t something like this happen with the Westin tower? Or perhaps it was announced just prior to breaking ground that they had added floors. I don’t know it’s been so long ago ha ha.

It's not unheard of for a building to add height after construction starts, but it is rare. Change orders are very expensive so the level of demand would have had to have been so spectacular that they felt like they could proceed and still profit. The Westin is different. They kept adding height up until the moment of construction, but once construction started that was it. On a side note, I simply can't stand how that central glass column isn't centered on the building. My OCD just about made me drive off the bridge upon seeing it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vdogg said:

It's not unheard of for a building to add height after construction starts, but it is rare. Change orders are very expensive so the level of demand would have had to have been so spectacular that they felt like they could proceed and still profit. The Westin is different. They kept adding height up until the moment of construction, but once construction started that was it. On a side note, I simply can't stand how that central glass column isn't centered on the building. My OCD just about made me drive off the bridge upon seeing it.

Yes,, I definitely agree with you on that. Change orders are very expensive. However, remember that these upper floors are likely penthouse floors and are commanding $1 million - $1.5M or more each. Per unit. So I have heard anyway. So if they were able to pre-sell a few or all of these, well, maybe then they could  make some serious money. I think the average unit in the Bldg here is $500-600k. I think the price per square foot on the sales end of this project makes it a different animal.

And as far as the glass column is concerned, I totally get where you’re coming from. It’s just so odd. .

2 hours ago, vdogg said:

Also, even accounting for mechanical floors, this building will be substantially taller than the initially quoted 261 ft.

Awesome!!

Edited by baobabs727

On 6/18/2020 at 8:40 AM, vdogg said:

Lots of good information in this post. It does indeed look like the tower will be slightly taller than forecast (they did add a floor).

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2937672469682514&id=177756919007430

The crane boom typically needs about 40 feet worth of clearance. With a final height of 330 ft it looks like the tower will come in around 290, slightly taller than NS and slightly shorter than BoA. What they're calling level 17 is actually level 16 (they skipped the 13th floor) This building will have an actual 24 floors but the elevator will show 25. It will have a great presence in the area.

Screenshot_20200618-084227~2.png

I believe this building has gone back to it's full original height. notice a few weeks ago WM Jordan posted that the full tower crane height will be 330 ft. See quoted text above. Yesterday, they posted this...

Screenshot_20200811-052017.png

The tower cranes height has grown from what was supposed to be the final height of 330 ft, to 370 ft. Now let's do some math, each floor is approximately 10 ft. At 10 feet per floor that means we've probably gained about 4 floors. If you recall the building was chopped down to 23 actual floors in height. Add 4 floors and you get the original 27. We now likely have Norfolk's second tallest building again. 

If only we could have kept the original design, but this is better than nothing.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, vdogg said:

I believe this building has gone back to it's full original height. notice a few weeks ago WM Jordan posted that the full tower crane height will be 330 ft. See quoted text above. Yesterday, they posted this...

Screenshot_20200811-052017.png

The tower cranes height has grown from what was supposed to be the final height of 330 ft, to 370 ft. Now let's do some math, each floor is approximately 10 ft. At 10 feet per floor that means we've probably gained about 4 floors. If you recall the building was chopped down to 23 actual floors in height. Add 4 floors and you get the original 27. We now likely have Norfolk's second tallest building again. 

If only we could have kept the original design, but this is better than nothing.

Holy cow!! How did I miss all this? Wow that’s such great news. I knew something was brewing, but I didn’t know exactly what. I couldn’t have imagined that it would be this good.  That’s a seriously tall tower for this region. Thanks so much for that update and confirmation!

I agree with you on the original design, but anyway it will be shiny and will stand out to be sure!!

Elevator shaft has been raised again, and we're almost out of crane, so that's *probably where we stop. As it stands the shaft goes up to the 26th floor (labeled 27th). When accounting for the crown I just can't see them going higher unless they raised the crane again. I can live with 26, overall gain of 3 floors. Eyeballing it I'd say we stop at 300 ft and some change, thinking 310-320.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2020 at 12:47 AM, baobabs727 said:

Does anyone remember these renderings? I got them from a link in this thread. Yes, they still exist! This was the first or second iteration. And then we had the third and the fourth (and final I’m thinking) version that’s going up now. This project has been in the works for 13 years! 

D50BF53E-6D2E-431B-BCD6-96A038781917.jpeg

71EF2CA9-33DE-40EB-9974-E3E9CDD806F5.jpeg

This would make a great third tower for Ft Norfolk. They should definitely recycle this idea and use it when the next major development happens in that area.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Wouldn’t they have to get an approval from the planning/zoning board if they wanted to change their approved site and building plan? Unless they’ve appeared before the board recently to amend their approved plan, I’d think we’re gonna get what’s in the approved plan. Has anyone been monitoring the planning/zoning board agendas? 

On 8/27/2020 at 9:14 PM, lammius said:

Wouldn’t they have to get an approval from the planning/zoning board if they wanted to change their approved site and building plan? Unless they’ve appeared before the board recently to amend their approved plan, I’d think we’re gonna get what’s in the approved plan. Has anyone been monitoring the planning/zoning board agendas? 

It depends on the meaning of the word “substantially”. When the planning commission approves a plan, it is stated in the certificate that the finished product must “substantially” adhere to the approved design. They could likely get away with 1 or 2 floors, and some moderate changes to materials without having to go back. They do have some wiggle room.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, zeppelin14 said:

Great video, but besides CHKD, growth in Norfolk is soooooo sloooow. In other cities, this area would have several buildings going up at once. At Norfolk's pace, it'll be 30 years before Ft. Norfolk is filled up.

Remember, EVMS building is nearing completion as well! So that’s 3, simultaneously. 

Edited by baobabs727

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, baobabs727 said:

Look at those stairsteps! Really transformative! The EVMS building fits  nicely at that corner and at a good height and sleek design. 

Without the water and ships this could be a picture of Arlington. Similar architecture and building massing.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, vdogg said:

Without the water and ships this could be a picture of Arlington. Similar architecture and building massing.

I remember seeing Fort Norfolk from a similar angle and thinking the same thing. I can’t wait to see it once everything is built in a few years. 

• Like 1