River Tower (Completed)

vdogg

Photos of River Tower and surrounding environs.  You can see a new paint job on the Fort Norfolk condos there, all the piles are in on the the new Breeden building next door, not many windows on those concrete walls there on that other one,  finally got to see  the actual Ft. Norfolk, etc...

2224BAE4-9704-4AD6-BFBD-ADD0BFF2F08B.jpeg

6DDD451B-E958-44CC-B36B-5AF2D9957DDD.jpeg

8D05E455-53C8-44E6-A31C-75BD780FB0B8.jpeg

E1652814-7668-49B5-963E-6744682BEA83.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well that sounds great, but we’ll be old by then and there isn’t a whole lot of undeveloped land remaining anyway. Redevelopment is a possibility though. Honestly, I’d be happy to take what we’ve got and what’s in the pipeline and call it a day lol. Small victories, ya know. 

Edited by baobabs727
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2020 at 5:39 PM, baobabs727 said:

Well that sounds great, but we’ll be old by then and there isn’t a whole lot of undeveloped land remaining anyway. Redevelopment is a possibility though. Honestly, I’d be happy to take what we’ve got and what’s in the pipeline and call it a day lol. Small victories, ya know. 

My hair has gotten grayer and thinner waiting for buildings like this to be built in Ft Norfolk, so I know what you mean.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://seniorhousingnews.com/2020/11/09/inside-the-200-million-senior-living-highrise-reshaping-norfolks-skyline/

"Even in 2000, Volder was confident in his vision for a CCRC that felt more like an upscale hotel than a retirement community. His confidence proved to be justified. All units in the first phase of the CCRC — dubbed Harbor’s Edge — sold out in nine weeks, and the first residents moved into the Harbor Tower building in 2006.

Volder’s intention was always to build a second tower, and planning began in earnest for that about six years ago. Now, that project is moving toward completion, with plans to open next summer. Dallas-based three is the architect and StudioSIX5 is doing the interior design.

The project is about 80% pre-sold, which Volder believes shows the enduring appeal of the urban CCRC model even in the face of consumers’ Covid-19 concerns."

I see no reason why they can't eventually do a third tower.

• Like 1

Dayum I thought there was a scoop or breaking news on a 3rd HE skyscraper lol.

I was hoping against hope, but is that really all the glass we’re going to get on this thing? it seems like it was re-designed... again ...to have even less glass at some point. My memory is faulty here!

Edited by baobabs727

On 11/21/2020 at 5:46 PM, baobabs727 said:

Dayum I thought there was a scoop or breaking news on a 3rd HE skyscraper lol.

I was hoping against hope, but is that really all the glass we’re going to get on this thing? it seems like it was re-designed... again ...to have even less glass at some point. My memory is faulty here!

I think it actually looks better than the final rendering. The darker glass gives it a sleeker, more modern, feel. I don't think the *amount of glass has changed. Depends on the angle you capture it from. That said, of course it will never live up to the original rendering.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/22/2020 at 10:05 PM, vdogg said:

I think it actually looks better than the final rendering. The darker glass gives it a sleeker, more modern, feel. I don't think the *amount of glass has changed. Depends on the angle you capture it from. That said, of course it will never live up to the original rendering.

OK, I need to get my butt down there to see this in person. 2020 was a complete blur to me, and I’ve never been away from downtown for so many consecutive months in the past 22 years. 

In the meantime, I would be thrilled and grateful to view any new pics that someone here might be so kind as to snap! ;)

Edited by baobabs727
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks haha. That first photo doesn’t do the view justice. It’s been awhile since I’ve gone down that side of Brambleton, so I was blown away seeing River Tower, EVMS, and CHKD

Looks like they’re putting up the apartment building next to the Roebuck, so that area is really turning around quickly. 

Edited by BFG
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...