River Tower (Completed)

vdogg

This is great! Do we have any idea about the timeline of this project?

I've been searching desperately for a timeline, but have yet to find one. At the very least, a rendering this refined suggest they are in the final stages. Haven't seen anything on the planning docket though.

Hopefully, this will lead to more happening in the Atlantic City part of town, and create a nice compliment to downtown Norfolk. Would love to see it become an extension of downtown.

I agree! It would be a dream come true if we saw an urban district with a town-center vibe over by Atlantic City/ Ft Norfolk. They need to renovate the waterfront to accommodate for waterfront restaurants, an esplanade, etc. 

I think that demand for high rise and urban living is ever increasing. I know that the younger generation wants to live in close proximity to services and restaurants. The more walkable the city becomes, the more populated and sought after these districts will become. That is IF the city and the region have a vision of a world-class city and region. We cannot continue to rely on the military. We need a new allure. And in 2015, that draw is entertainment, shopping, etc. IT is all a matter of perception. We need to take that Norfolk vibe that we all love to a national stage if we are going to be able to survive and proper in an ever changing global environment

That is one really nice building. I really hope they stick to something close to the rendering. A new tallest would be great, right on the end of the light rail line (as it is now). This truly has game-changer potential. I wonder how many units this would accommodate? 

Something else that just came to mind...the original design from the first page shouldn't go to waste. I'd love to see that building go along either Front Street or next to Harbor Park...it has a perfect waterfront look to it.

More all-glass architecture downtown, please! 

I'd put it around the mid 300's. It'll be close. The Hilton was supposed to be 315 when it was like 25 floors or so. It looks like the top will give it some extra lift. From the image it seems to be twice as tall as the original building. If we can find out how tall that is we'll have a ball park. The original rendering had about 23 floors so the project has grown. I'm really hoping we can get an even 30 out of this, it's time.

Harbor's Edge is 213 ft tall according to Emporis, but I'm not seeing this building being 426 ft, seems a bit much. I think I'll stick with my mid 300's estimate.

I think Mid-Upper 300s is a pretty solid guess based on the renderings. And if yet a few more floors can be added, all the better.

That nighttime rendering looks AMAZING. Makes me look even more forward to the Atlantic City development and the future of this area. I'm so used to us having such ordinary building designs that I can't believe Norfolk is getting something like this!

That nighttime rendering looks AMAZING. Makes me look even more forward to the Atlantic City development and the future of this area. I'm so used to us having such ordinary building designs that I can't believe Norfolk is getting something like this!

We don't have it yet. This still has to go through design review and that scares me. Anytime those people get their hands on something remotely modern they turn it into neocolonial crap.  I'm hoping that the positive buzz this is generating overwhelms their urge to tinker.

We don't have it yet. This still has to go through design review and that scares me. Anytime those people get their hands on something remotely modern they turn it into neocolonial crap.  I'm hoping that the positive buzz this is generating overwhelms their urge to tinker.

That's a big fear of mine, too. I could easily see them saying it doesn't match the design of the original building. Would like to be proven wrong here...

I'm afraid of this too. I can see them turning around to make this building try to fit in. 

Something that makes me a tad skeptical though is that the article still talks about there being 118 units in the building. 118 units over 27 floors is very, VERY few. IMO, either they have greatly expanded the number of units projected (which would be great news) or the idea of a 27 story tower is being floated to generate buzz. I just can't see the Return on Investment on barely 4 units per floor (on average). At 118 units, I can't see there being more than 20 stories (and probably closer than 16-18). Maybe I'm wrong. Or (hopefully) there has been a substantial increase in the number of units in the building.