River Tower (Completed)

vdogg

I was in B-More last year Mother's Day weekend. Sketchy rep aside, it was cool seeing how vibrant and busy downtown was (it probably helped that there was an O's game that day). But, if Norfolk can move in that direction and become half as busy as B-More, I'd say they've succeeded. We're finally starting to feel like a city.

Gotta get up to Richmond soon. Hearing great things are happening up there too!

This article has a different timescale. Really hoping the pilot one is correct. Their pace of sales seems to be quicker than this most recent article indicatesays. Perhaps it's a typo and they mean 2017?

http://www.virginiabusiness.com/news/article/harbors-edge-norfolk-retirement-community-to-add-another-tower

I think Virginia Business is mistaken. With 112 out of 138 under contract we're already at 81% leased, well past their 70% target. I wouldn't be surprised to see construction start this summer instead of fall. The only thing that could hold them back is if they decide to add floors, which I wouldn't mind at all.

On 2/17/2017 at 8:56 AM, vdogg said:

I think Virginia Business is mistaken. With 112 out of 138 under contract we're already at 81% leased, well past their 70% target. I wouldn't be surprised to see construction start this summer instead of fall. The only thing that could hold them back is if they decide to add floors, which I wouldn't mind at all.

Let us pray..

I'm actually surprised a bigger push hasn't bee made to make ft.norfolk/Atlantic city top priority. It really has some gem of views and great chunk of land.

17 hours ago, likeminded said:

Not familiar with the term "value engineered."  What does that mean?

Value engineering is when they create plans and renderings showing certain materials and aesthetics (for hype) but due to cost actually scale back to different materials or design details thus not necessarily ending up with what was shown. Example, they show a glass facade but then do away with it because some other material is cheaper.

EDIT: I am in no way implying this will happen.

Edited by carolinaboy
clarity

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Ghentite said:

Hearing the groundbreaking will be in the fall.  Demand is high, they've sold out of units, and there is actually a lengthy waitlist to secure one.  Pretty confident this project will be green-lit and shouldn't have any issues.

So if demand is as such, what are the chances this could grow if not vertical, horizontally as an "area".

I think this area is key to LRT, especially now since vb killed the extension. Could be worth the final ride to evmc area if they do it right.

38 minutes ago, brikkman said:

So if demand is as such, what are the chances this could grow if not vertical, horizontally as an "area".

I think this area is key to LRT, especially now since vb killed the extension. Could be worth the final ride to evmc area if they do it right.

Not really sure.  The demand is from retirees and assisted living patients so that's a specific demographic. Part of the demand isn't all on location either.  It's the amenities and treatment and lack of retirement communities in nfk that is drawing people there.

Edited by Ghentite

18 hours ago, Ghentite said:

Hearing the groundbreaking will be in the fall.  Demand is high, they've sold out of units, and there is actually a lengthy waitlist to secure one.  Pretty confident this project will be green-lit and shouldn't have any issues.

I wonder if they are considering adding some more units now with the high demand

7 hours ago, Norva757 said:

I wonder if they are considering adding some more units now with the high demand

I'm hopeful but probably not. Harbor's Edge had a long waiting list too but they still proceeded at 17 floors. Part of it has to do with what portion of the design process they're in, if they've already secured materials at a certain price, etc. Just adding floors sounds easy but it's a bit more involved than that. All the increases for the Westin came within the first few months of the project being announced. I imagine the closer we get to groundbreaking, an increase is less likely, though not impossible.

• Like 1

Website promotion indicates the new building is purposefully differentiated from the first one to reflect the contemporary and sleek style of living that today's seniors prefer and demand. It has been almost 20 years since the first phase was initially conceived, so there has been a true generational shift. 

On 4/25/2017 at 0:46 PM, vdogg said:

Nothing here yet, but keep an eye on this link. Just popped up this month. Hopefully they're getting ready to proceed. There was an update given by the project manager to the DNC on April 5th, but I found out about it too late and was unable to attend. 

http://www.harborsedgerivertower.com

River Tower website has gone live. Getting close folks. :shades:

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Bseven37 said:

Don't know if this is a mistake, but it definitely says "views from the tallest building in a Hampton Roads."

IMG_2341.PNG

I've got to imagine it's a mistake. It'll probably be the tallest in Norfolk from what it sounds like. I think they forgot about Virginia Beach. Because why advertise tallest in Hampton Roads when that would ALSO mean tallest in the state?

• Like 1