River Tower (Completed)

vdogg

• 2 years later...

Harbors Edge Phase II could be coming soon... From what I hear the first one sold out rather quickly.

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/08/river-bott...own-tunnel-tube

Also Tuesday, the Virginia Marine Resources Commission approved the sale of three parcels of state-owned waterfront land, also on the Elizabeth River, on Front Street in Norfolk. The parcels are likely to be developed as part of a proposed Atlantic City retirement community, where Colley Avenue ends at Front Street and offers scenic views of downtown Norfolk and Portsmouth.

The property transfers have taken years to complete and required action by the state General Assembly. Three companies

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Woohoo! It's tall! I did not expect one of our tallest buildings to come out out of a retirement community. That coupled with Beau Rivage will give us a serious skyline in that area.  Please don't get watered down, altered, or shortened. That's gonna look great coming over the Hague. Where'd you find these renderings?

About 22-23 floors, looks like tall floors though. It they are we could be pushing BOA's height. If not the second tallest building downtown, then at least the third.

If they slim that puppy up a bit we could easily cross into the 30's. :)

This document is a year old, but has even more detailed renderings that fall in line with the ones posted above. Hopefully they haven't changed since then...

http://issuu.com/trentmatthias/docs/harbors_edge_-_professional_work_20

Why in the world did they release those crappy water color renderings when they had all those beautiful detailed renderings in this document? These are fantastic! This will easily be a signature building for Norfolk. Very sleek and modern. It's about time we had one of these. 

Captured two of my favorites. It looks like they've done some extensive design work already. Wonder when they're planning to start construction? Man, I really hope we don't get burned on this one. Haven't been this excited about a project in a long time.

post-769-0-99873900-1425231797_thumb.jpg

post-769-0-28767600-1425231797_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Is Beau Rivage really going to happen?

This area is starting to remind me of VB TownCenter.

It would be awesome to have a downtown and a mid-town with lots of high-rises. Downtown needs a real signature tower in the lot across from the courts complex. Add a few waterfront projects near Harbor Park along with the current developments and the St. Paul Quardrant and you have the making for a dynamic downtown.

Finally, is it possible for the city to renegotiate with the government to reclaim the former Granby Tower land? It is a shame that this land will sit idle for another decade or indefinitely because of government cuts. We can offer them a chance to expand in our new courts complex which makes all the sense in the world. Perhaps Buddy is now in a better position financially to make his Granby Tower a reality. I can see a building boom happening in the next couple years and maybe some of those previous proposals can be revisited. I would love to see the River's Edge developments back on the drawing board along with the Brambleton Tower. A 40 plus story signature tower and another 30 plus story mixed use tower downtown along with everything else will make me a very happy person.

Oh yeah, if Portsmouth can get in on the action and build a couple towers on that side of the water, we will have a downtown second to none.

Edited by K76T

Looks like the EVMC/Fort Norfolk light rail station will be one of the first to meet its density potential in terms of some of the under developed stations.

I'll say. This is textbook TOD. It'll be a great midway point on a spur to going to ODU and the naval base.

That part of town is going to look really nice if/when this goes through, and some of the other projects, like that abandoned warehouse beside PETA. I hope they tackle that stretch of vacant land along Front St. (overlooking the river) next.

That part of town is going to look really nice if/when this goes through, and some of the other projects, like that abandoned warehouse beside PETA. I hope they tackle that stretch of vacant land along Front St. (overlooking the river) next.

That vacant land is supposedly where Beau Rivage will go if it happens (built by the same people doing Front Street Flats). That warehouse is actually being renovated and turned into Front Street Flats, that project is definite. Construction starts this year. I actually drove through Fort Norfolk today to get a better feel for how these projects will be situated. They need to do some extensive street work in that area. Doesn't feel like a neighborhood or a cohesive whole yet. They need to do better tying this in with the city so that it is no longer this separate enclave with minimal entrance and exit points. That parking lot on Brambleton has got to go. A nice high density development that is flush with the street will do wonders for that area.

That vacant land is supposedly where Beau Rivage will go if it happens (built by the same people doing Front Street Flats). That warehouse is actually being renovated and turned into Front Street Flats, that project is definite. Construction starts this year. I actually drove through Fort Norfolk today to get a better feel for how these projects will be situated. They need to do some extensive street work in that area. Doesn't feel like a neighborhood or a cohesive whole yet. They need to do better tying this in with the city so that it is no longer this separate enclave with minimal entrance and exit points. That parking lot on Brambleton has got to go. A nice high density development that is flush with the street will do wonders for that area.

Surprised this wasn't thought about years ago. Just weird, prime land. its on of the rare places in DT/MT that you have views of portsmouth that is not shipyard and or old ships. As far as economics and potential, just shocked no one had the idea prior. I also thought of Mass TOD in that area with the stop. It could be impressive if done right, but to that point, someone would have to buy out a lot of people to change it to something that is truly cohesive.

I've always thought that stretch of Front Street would be perfect for restaurants overlooking the river into Portsmouth. There's also a concrete dock that could make for a nice patio/park area.

You have some older offices over there, like Channel 13 and the Red Cross. I'm torn as to whether they should stay or go in order to rebuild that area.

• 4 weeks later...

I've always thought that stretch of Front Street would be perfect for restaurants overlooking the river into Portsmouth. There's also a concrete dock that could make for a nice patio/park area.

You have some older offices over there, like Channel 13 and the Red Cross. I'm torn as to whether they should stay or go in order to rebuild that area.

I wish the city could evict PETA and offer that land to a developer.

I don't know Atlantic City specifically, but that concrete dock you mention sounds like part of the location for Beau Rivage tower. The sketch shows the tower on land and a skywalk to a conference center and marina on what could be that dock.

That sounds about right. It's directly across the street from the WVEC studio.

• 3 months later...

Once I picked my jaw up off the floor and calmed down the heart palpitations, I decided to immediately post this rendering. This is circa three days ago. Will post a link to the article shortly. 

image.jpg

Here's the link.

http://www.architectmagazine.com/project-gallery/harbors-edge

27 stories! Looks like Norfolk has a new tallest in the works.

• Like 3