River Tower (Completed)

vdogg

This building along with the completed height increase to Norfolk General, the new EVMS building and the new CHKD building will create a new synergy in Fort Norfolk that will promote further redevelopment. These are the seeds that will bear more fruit.

• Like 3

Main details from the Pilot, most of which we know. Opening in 2021, 24 stories tall, two restaurants, a lobby, and grand hall.

https://pilotonline.com/business/real-estate/article_5716c5ee-5a0c-11e9-97d3-27b3ade67179.html

Construction was supposed to begin in fall 2017 with residents moving in this year but Volder said the timeline changed after his general contractor, W.M. Jordan of Newport News, suggested a redesign that would make it “much more efficient to construct and operate.”

Like Willy18 said, someone was being cheap.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

https://rebusinessonline.com/hj-sims-arranges-201-1m-in-construction-financing-for-seniors-housing-project-in-norfolk/

No movement yet other than utility marking. Looks like the relocation process may take some time. They have officially closed on their financing though.

The second link describes the reason for the initial delay in financing.

https://seniorhousingnews.com/2019/04/17/transactions-financings-allyaligns-10m-funding-round-201m-financing-for-harbors-edge/

“Harbor’s Edge accepted 10% deposits for the River Tower starting October 2017 and achieved 70% in presales by September 2018. Sims concurrently ran a bank request for a proposals process for a portion of the costs while developing the terms and offering documents for the fixed rate bonds. The strong balance sheet and operational history of Harbor’s Edge garnered a number of attractive proposals for bank financing that would be repaid first from initial entrance fee proceeds received from River Tower Residents. A challenge with the appraisal during the banks’ due diligence phase required a portion of the initial entrance fee bonds to be offered on a convertible subordinate basis to fixed rate bondholders.”

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Norf native said:

Looks like there’s a pile driver at the River Tower site. 

897217D3-D4D1-4A0C-88A2-F74E1455B810.jpeg

Yeah, it’s been there since last week but they haven’t done much with it yet. Usually takes about 3 months to drive piles so I’m anxious for them to start so that this thing can start going vertical.

I also imagine that they’ll probably use 2 pile drivers for this site.

• 3 weeks later...

Was really curious as to why this particular piledriver looked different, and why it seemed like they were never actually driving piles. The answer is, they aren't driving piles per se. This is a different solution, likely due to the proximity of the retirement home. I imagine the retirement home was insistent on reduction of noise, as to not disturb the residents

1362990080.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/8/2019 at 12:29 PM, vdogg said:

This is such a bittersweet moment. I'm so happy to see this tower finally under construction, but I cry a little bit every time I see the original rendering. It should be noted that the architects that changed it to that uninspiring design were originally known as CMSS Architects (now Clark Nexson). Anybody who's been around this forum for a long time will recognize that name and remember just how bland their  designs used to be, so it all makes sense. I will say that the design of their own tower at Town Center isn't too bad, but I can't for the life of me understand why the developers changed architects like that.

I used to work at Clark Nexsen.  They weren't part of CMSS.  Different companies.  As to why designs get changed, that's usually factors of cost for materials, desires of the developers, and approving authorities, etc.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2019 at 6:55 PM, vdogg said:

Was really curious as to why this particular piledriver looked different, and why it seemed like they were never actually driving piles. The answer is, they aren't driving piles per se. This is a different solution, likely due to the proximity of the retirement home. I imagine the retirement home was insistent on reduction and noise, as to not disturb the residents

1362990080.png

Sounds way more expensive then just driving piles. We may end up with a 2-story retirement community :tw_joy:

10 hours ago, Willy18 said:

Sounds way more expensive then just driving piles. We may end up with a 2-story retirement community :tw_joy:

In the Hampton Roads market, driven precast piles are generally more economical than augercast piles, partly because we have local precasters to manufacture the piles - Bayshore Precast Concrete, with plants in Cape Charles (now closed) and Chesapeake.  In other markets, like South Florida, many buildings are supported on augercast piles.  The developers are probably paying a premium for augercast piles to reduce the noise and vibration of driven piles, but they are not likely to be way more expensive.  River Tower is definitely not the first building in Norfolk to use augercast piles.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I found this article from about two months ago. Claims 265 feet tall and says the Design Architecture firm responsible for the interior layout is named "three." Based in Dallas.

https://seniorlivingnews.com/construction-underway-on-river-tower-at-harbors-edge-in-norfolk-virginia/

Edited by baobabs727
  • Like 1