River Tower (Completed)

vdogg

Sounds like they plan to proceed very quickly with vertical construction, though I suppose at a floor per week is doable (the panels only cover 20 floors of the building).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/finance.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/w-m-jordan-company-clark-120000013.html

"Panel manufacturing will run for approximately 11 weeks starting in early September of this year, with erection scheduled from late November through January 2020.

Expected to open in 2021, the over $130M River Tower construction project will greet new residents with breathtaking views of the Elizabeth River and downtown Norfolk.

“We all work hard here to build long-term relationships with our customers and the communities we serve,” said Smith-Midland CEO Ashley Smith. “Seeing another tall building rise in the Tidewater area that we have had a hand in helping to build is something we are very proud of.”"

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The low-rise portion has gone glacially slow, but it looks like they'll be wrapping up the first two floors within the next week or so judging by their progress. After that we should really start to see the core of this tower rise, usually at about a floor per week. I think once January hits this thing is going to take off.

The elevator shaft has been poured up to floor 3. The floors look higher than I imagined. This tower will still have a decent presence once built.

• 5 weeks later...

Really picked up the pace this past week. They're working on the third floor, which will probably be finished by mid-week. Looks like they finally hit that floor a week stride. Floors are a bit taller than I imagined, this should have a nice presence.

MVIMG_20200111_082255.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Almost had a heart attack because it looked like they were breaking the crane down. Talked to one of the construction workers though and he said they’re actually adding 3 more pieces. Usually the crane stays intact and it raises itself. For some reason this time they felt a need to take the mast off, but it appears that a new mast is on site. Should be taller by the end of the day. 

22929929-3D1A-45D5-BCE6-6611EDA76DE4.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2018 at 2:56 PM, Willy18 said:

That's good news

Now if we can get someone to flatten the tires on the trucks that are gonna deliver all that BRICK!!! 

Unfortunately I was unable to intercept the truck and the first shipment has been delivered. One strategically placed spike strip outta do it though. Still not too late to salvage this.

IMG_20200521_131449_MP.jpg

• Haha 1

Also, in what might be good news, the rendering on the construction site and the one on their website now both have an actual 24 floors (instead of 23 actual floors with them skipping floor 13). Not sure why this change was made and if it actually reflects a change in design, but I'm cautiously optimistic that this may have actually grown a floor. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cjnfkvb said:

The rising skyline of Fort Norfolk/EVMC. It was raining, so the picture is a little blurry. 

20200522_083453.jpg

River Tower already has quite a presence from that angle. It has at least 11 more floors to go too. gonna have to raise that crane pretty soon.