River Tower (Completed)

vdogg

• 2 weeks later...

15 completed floors (floor 13 was skipped so this will be labeled floor 16). Renderings show 24 actual floors so it's possible the final floor is actually floor 25. Additional crane sections are on site, crane will be raised today.

IMG_20200613_071035_MP.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Buildthetowers said:

What kind of bird is that flying over?

Looks like a bald eagle judging by the wing span, hard to tell without a closer look. Actually quite a few of them that nest in our area. Could also be an osprey, which is another large bird of prey.

Lots of good information in this post. It does indeed look like the tower will be slightly taller than forecast (they did add a floor).

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2937672469682514&id=177756919007430

The crane boom typically needs about 40 feet worth of clearance. With a final height of 330 ft it looks like the tower will come in around 290, slightly taller than NS and slightly shorter than BoA. What they're calling level 17 is actually level 16 (they skipped the 13th floor) This building will have an actual 24 floors but the elevator will show 25. It will have a great presence in the area.

Screenshot_20200618-084227~2.png

• Like 1

9 hours ago, vdogg said:

Lots of good information in this post. It does indeed look like the tower will be slightly taller than forecast (they did add a floor).

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2937672469682514&id=177756919007430

The crane boom typically needs about 40 feet worth of clearance. With a final height of 330 ft it looks like the tower will come in around 290, slightly taller than NS and slightly shorter than BoA. What they're calling level 17 is actually level 16 (they skipped the 13th floor) This building will have an actual 24 floors but the elevator will show 25. It will have a great presence in the area.

Screenshot_20200618-084227~2.png

Thanks so much for the excellent reportage. I had heard the rumor about the additional floor sometime ago but was not able to confirm it and didn't want to say anything out of turn here.

This building will be a lodestar--a guiding light and total game changer for what is now a rather important cluster of new, significant  development linking Downtown and Ghent. And more development to come! I hope we find a new name for the this entire area. 

Edited by baobabs727
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

I don't mind Atlantic City, but it reminds me too much of Jersey, and honestly, they've had a rough few years up there. A while ago, somebody suggested Midtown Norfolk; since everything is now a "District", how about the Midtown District?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Arctic_Tern said:

What's wrong with Fort Norfolk? It sounds cool, is a distinctive name, and has history in the area.

Agreed. FWIW, there is a historic marker near Plum Point Park that states the area used to be known as Atlantic City.  Fort Norfolk is definitely better than that.

Edited by BeagleAccountant
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, BFG said:

I know I said Midtown earlier, but Fort Norfolk is a great name that highlights that area’s history. 

LOL my head's whipping. 

I'll go it alone then, no problem, and say that "midtown" is a more modern, cosmopolitan term, while "Fort Norfolk"  reaches back to our colonial, military past and seems provincial and dated.  

The  actual Fort Norfolk is well marked and isn't going anywhere , So that should be enough. All of this new development really has zero relation to the fort or the history of that area. 

Most major cities have a Midtown,  it makes sense here spacially, so let's have one.  

Edited by baobabs727
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, baobabs727 said:

LOL my head's whipping. 

I'll go it alone then, no problem, and say that "midtown" is a more modern, cosmopolitan term, while "Fort Norfolk"  reaches back to our colonial, military past and seems provincial and dated.  

The  actual Fort Norfolk is well marked and isn't going anywhere , So that should be enough. All of this new development really has zero relation to the fort or the history of that area. 

Most major cities have a Midtown,  it makes sense here spacially, so let's have one.  

How many cities actually call it "Midtown __CITY NAME__" though? And for those that do, don't they usually have multiple neighborhood's that comprise a mid-town? And not just literally one neighborhood that already has a name?  I'd also say that Midtown is just about the most generic thing a committee could come up with to name an area (just a notch above "Town Center" for me). 

Fort Norfolk is fine. In fact, I prefer Fort Norfolk to Midtown, Uptown, West Side, Center City, The __________ District, and any other names that literally any city in the world could lay claim to. The thing holding back that area ain't the name, I'll tell you that.

• Like 2

Yeah Midtown seems like it should be bigger than one neighborhood. Also if Military Circle ever gets developed, wouldn't that be midtown. Fort Norfolk's is fine even though I don't love it. That's what most people call it already I think. What about SOCO (South Colley)? You already got North Colley popping off on the other end. 

Let's call it "the perfectly fine neighborhood they demolished for no reason and took 60 years to rebuild."

On 6/24/2020 at 8:20 PM, Arctic_Tern said:

How many cities actually call it "Midtown __CITY NAME__" though? And for those that do, don't they usually have multiple neighborhood's that comprise a mid-town? And not just literally one neighborhood that already has a name?  I'd also say that Midtown is just about the most generic thing a committee could come up with to name an area (just a notch above "Town Center" for me). 

Fort Norfolk is fine. In fact, I prefer Fort Norfolk to Midtown, Uptown, West Side, Center City, The __________ District, and any other names that literally any city in the world could lay claim to. The thing holding back that area ain't the name, I'll tell you that.

I don't think I follow you. I know ATL has a "Midtown" that they refer to without the "ATL" part.  They know where it is, in what city it's located lol. Why would Norfolkians  need to reference the "Norfolk" part?  Isn't that kind of obvious or redundant?  Outsiders might use both words, I don't know. I think perhaps you're getting into the weeds with that argument. 

Same with the multiple neighborhood inclusion. I never mentioned there should not be neighborhoods within Midtown.  Of course you can still have Fort Norfolk as the actual Fort name, Atlantic City, Chelsea, North Colley, West Ghent,  whatever you want in there.  The medical complex is now dominating the  skyline in that area and so it needs to be included in the broader, overarching context of a new, modern name reflective of the explosive growth there. 

Finally, what's holding back what? There's nothing holding back that area.  It's flourishing.  Yeah, again I don't seem to follow.

Edited by baobabs727

On 6/25/2020 at 2:42 PM, Norfolk757Kid said:

Yeah Midtown seems like it should be bigger than one neighborhood. Also if Military Circle ever gets developed, wouldn't that be midtown. Fort Norfolk's is fine even though I don't love it. That's what most people call it already I think. What about SOCO (South Colley)? You already got North Colley popping off on the other end. 

Let's call it "the perfectly fine neighborhood they demolished for no reason and took 60 years to rebuild."

Since Norfolk has the Midtown tunnel, any type of "midtown" would probably be over by that....but then there is also a Midtown Shopping Center at Granby and Little Creek Rd, so who knows, Midtown could be anywhere you want Midtown to be.

• Like 2

On 6/29/2020 at 3:07 AM, urbanlife said:

Since Norfolk has the Midtown tunnel, any type of "midtown" would probably be over by that....but then there is also a Midtown Shopping Center at Granby and Little Creek Rd, so who knows, Midtown could be anywhere you want Midtown to be.

We have this same issue in Richmond.  We even have "Uptown" in between "Downtown" and "Midtown."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...