vdogg

River Tower (Under Construction)

Wouldn’t they have to get an approval from the planning/zoning board if they wanted to change their approved site and building plan? Unless they’ve appeared before the board recently to amend their approved plan, I’d think we’re gonna get what’s in the approved plan. Has anyone been monitoring the planning/zoning board agendas? 

On 8/27/2020 at 9:14 PM, lammius said:

Wouldn’t they have to get an approval from the planning/zoning board if they wanted to change their approved site and building plan? Unless they’ve appeared before the board recently to amend their approved plan, I’d think we’re gonna get what’s in the approved plan. Has anyone been monitoring the planning/zoning board agendas? 

It depends on the meaning of the word “substantially”. When the planning commission approves a plan, it is stated in the certificate that the finished product must “substantially” adhere to the approved design. They could likely get away with 1 or 2 floors, and some moderate changes to materials without having to go back. They do have some wiggle room.

Great video, but besides CHKD, growth in Norfolk is soooooo sloooow. In other cities, this area would have several buildings going up at once. At Norfolk's pace, it'll be 30 years before Ft. Norfolk is filled up.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, zeppelin14 said:

Great video, but besides CHKD, growth in Norfolk is soooooo sloooow. In other cities, this area would have several buildings going up at once. At Norfolk's pace, it'll be 30 years before Ft. Norfolk is filled up.

Remember, EVMS building is nearing completion as well! So that’s 3, simultaneously. 

Edited by baobabs727

8 hours ago, NFKjeff said:

One more from downtown including the USS Wisconsin.5E15E6FA-3C60-4E37-96F3-916B64406782.thumb.jpeg.17f798e47bc0a2d7b7d19949bfb0526c.jpeg

Look at those stairsteps! Really transformative! The EVMS building fits  nicely at that corner and at a good height and sleek design. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, baobabs727 said:

Look at those stairsteps! Really transformative! The EVMS building fits  nicely at that corner and at a good height and sleek design. 

Without the water and ships this could be a picture of Arlington. Similar architecture and building massing.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, vdogg said:

Without the water and ships this could be a picture of Arlington. Similar architecture and building massing.

I remember seeing Fort Norfolk from a similar angle and thinking the same thing. I can’t wait to see it once everything is built in a few years. 

• Like 1

Took another walk the other day, noticed a change in construction at the River Tower. I think we've reached the max height of units and that they're starting to build the crown, since what they're building on the next floor up isn't compatible with lower floors.

PXL_20200921_225246093.MP.jpg

• Like 4

Photos of River Tower and surrounding environs.  You can see a new paint job on the Fort Norfolk condos there, all the piles are in on the the new Breeden building next door, not many windows on those concrete walls there on that other one,  finally got to see  the actual Ft. Norfolk, etc...

2224BAE4-9704-4AD6-BFBD-ADD0BFF2F08B.jpeg

6DDD451B-E958-44CC-B36B-5AF2D9957DDD.jpeg

8D05E455-53C8-44E6-A31C-75BD780FB0B8.jpeg

E1652814-7668-49B5-963E-6744682BEA83.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well that sounds great, but we’ll be old by then and there isn’t a whole lot of undeveloped land remaining anyway. Redevelopment is a possibility though. Honestly, I’d be happy to take what we’ve got and what’s in the pipeline and call it a day lol. Small victories, ya know. 

Edited by baobabs727
  • Like 2

On 10/25/2020 at 5:39 PM, baobabs727 said:

Well that sounds great, but we’ll be old by then and there isn’t a whole lot of undeveloped land remaining anyway. Redevelopment is a possibility though. Honestly, I’d be happy to take what we’ve got and what’s in the pipeline and call it a day lol. Small victories, ya know. 

My hair has gotten grayer and thinner waiting for buildings like this to be built in Ft Norfolk, so I know what you mean.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/6/2020 at 7:41 PM, urbanlife said:

My hair has gotten grayer and thinner waiting for buildings like this to be built in Ft Norfolk, so I know what you mean.

They got stuff for that now you know.

https://seniorhousingnews.com/2020/11/09/inside-the-200-million-senior-living-highrise-reshaping-norfolks-skyline/

"Even in 2000, Volder was confident in his vision for a CCRC that felt more like an upscale hotel than a retirement community. His confidence proved to be justified. All units in the first phase of the CCRC — dubbed Harbor’s Edge — sold out in nine weeks, and the first residents moved into the Harbor Tower building in 2006.

Volder’s intention was always to build a second tower, and planning began in earnest for that about six years ago. Now, that project is moving toward completion, with plans to open next summer. Dallas-based three is the architect and StudioSIX5 is doing the interior design.

The project is about 80% pre-sold, which Volder believes shows the enduring appeal of the urban CCRC model even in the face of consumers’ Covid-19 concerns."

I see no reason why they can't eventually do a third tower.

• Like 1

Dayum I thought there was a scoop or breaking news on a 3rd HE skyscraper lol.

I was hoping against hope, but is that really all the glass we’re going to get on this thing? it seems like it was re-designed... again ...to have even less glass at some point. My memory is faulty here!

Edited by baobabs727