River Tower (Completed)

vdogg

As tallguy alluded to above and according to their marketing material this is now called "River Tower ", so I'm changing the name of the thread. 

http://www.harborsedgenorfolk.com/the-harbors-edge-experience/marketing-events-calendar/

It would be nice if we could get someone from the forum to attend one of these meetings and bring back some info...:ph34r:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

https://www.townebank.com/~/media/Files/Towne Today/TowneToday_Spring2016_web.pdf?la=en

" The skyline along the waterfront in the Fort Norfolk area will be changing soon as plans are finalized to build a second tower at Harbor’s Edge. The 27-story high-rise building will provide an additional 120 luxury apartments to the retirement facility that opened in 2006. Featuring an all-glass exterior, the new building will offer spectacular 360-degree views of the Elizabeth River and Fort Norfolk. Neil Volder, CEO and developer of Harbor’s Edge, says the excitement is already increasing since they started taking reservations. “Our marketing efforts are underway, and we anticipate that we will start selling units in the fall with construction to follow. If all goes according to plan, we expect to celebrate a grand opening in 2019.”

... As the plans were developed, one key factor was to ensure that Harbor’s Edge would continue as one community. A completely renovated  third-floor common area will connect the two towers with multi-purpose spaces, a second theater, and additional dining and bar venues. Current plans even include a restaurant on the 27th floor. “It’s very important to us that our residents in both towers feel connected once the new tower is complete,” Neil said. “In the end, it’s all about bringing everyone together to form a brand new larger and better community.”

:o I hope that restaurant will be open to the public. Imagine the views! We'll finally have a TRUE rooftop restaurant in Hampton Roads ***cough**Hilton***cough <_<

With a 2019 open they're probably not starting construction till the first quarter of 2017. If we're lucky maybe late fall groundbreaking, but no real work till spring.

11 minutes ago, vdogg said:

https://www.townebank.com/~/media/Files/Towne Today/TowneToday_Spring2016_web.pdf?la=en

" The skyline along the waterfront in the Fort Norfolk area will be changing soon as plans are finalized to build a second tower at Harbor’s Edge. The 27-story high-rise building will provide an additional 120 luxury apartments to the retirement facility that opened in 2006. Featuring an all-glass exterior, the new building will offer spectacular 360-degree views of the Elizabeth River and Fort Norfolk. Neil Volder, CEO and developer of Harbor’s Edge, says the excitement is already increasing since they started taking reservations. “Our marketing efforts are underway, and we anticipate that we will start selling units in the fall with construction to follow. If all goes according to plan, we expect to celebrate a grand opening in 2019.”

... As the plans were developed, one key factor was to ensure that Harbor’s Edge would continue as one community. A completely renovated  third-floor common area will connect the two towers with multi-purpose spaces, a second theater, and additional dining and bar venues. Current plans even include a restaurant on the 27th floor. “It’s very important to us that our residents in both towers feel connected once the new tower is complete,” Neil said. “In the end, it’s all about bringing everyone together to form a brand new larger and better community.”

:o I hope that restaurant will be open to the public. Imagine the views! We'll finally have a TRUE rooftop restaurant in Hampton Roads ***cough**Hilton***cough <_<

I think this is for Richmond, if im not correct. 

" the new building will offer spectacular 360-degree views of the Elizabeth River and Fort Norfolk. " This quote specifically mentions the Elizabeth River and Fort Norfolk. Don't go giving our tower to Richmond, lol. We'll fight for this one. ;)

1 minute ago, mpretori said:

that's exciting!!  is it going to be a renovation or new construction? 

Brand new construction. The short brick tower is the one that currently exist, the tall shiny one is the one that will be built.

8 minutes ago, vdogg said:

" the new building will offer spectacular 360-degree views of the Elizabeth River and Fort Norfolk. " This quote specifically mentions the Elizabeth River and Fort Norfolk. Don't go giving our tower to Richmond, lol. We'll fight for this one. ;)

Brand new construction. The short brick tower is the one that currently exist, the tall shiny one is the one that will be built.

do you know the street address this will be on? 

• 4 weeks later...

At vdogg's request, here are some google earth captures with a massing that approximates the River Tower included.  This gives an idea of what impact River Tower will have on the city's skyline.  The pics below capture a few common skyline viewing angles.  Note, I added a box representing the Hilton as well.

1.  Helicopter view over EVMS.  29055779960_e626534dfd_k.jpg

2.  Helicopter view over the Berkley Bridge (think of the old WAVY TV news opens)29343212975_5bcc000d41_k.jpg

3.  View from the Berkley Bridge29264345331_2a3df578f0_k.jpg

4.  View from I-264 westbound near Exit 929343208365_83672a1afc_k.jpg

5.  WAVY TV 10 Tower Cam view

28722373103_1ce08914a3_k.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lammius said:

At vdogg's request, here are some google earth captures with a massing that approximates the River Tower included.  This gives an idea of what impact River Tower will have on the city's skyline.  The pics below capture a few common skyline viewing angles.  Note, I added a box representing the Hilton as well.

1.  Helicopter view over EVMS.  29055779960_e626534dfd_k.jpg

2.  Helicopter view over the Berkley Bridge (think of the old WAVY TV news opens)29343212975_5bcc000d41_k.jpg

3.  View from the Berkley Bridge29264345331_2a3df578f0_k.jpg

4.  View from I-264 westbound near Exit 929343208365_83672a1afc_k.jpg

5.  WAVY TV 10 Tower Cam view

28722373103_1ce08914a3_k.jpg

Hey man would you be able to Photoshop some of the towers planned in RVA like the 3twentyone tower and the Richmond plaza tower? This looks awesome and would go nicely with the gateway towers if they get built.

Edited by blopp1234

5 hours ago, blopp1234 said:

Hey man would you be able to Photoshop some of the towers planned in RVA like the 3twentyone tower and the Richmond plaza tower? This looks awesome and would go nicely with the gateway towers if they get built.

I got you.  I took a shot at it (I had to do a little homework, since I'm not as familiar with Richmond or what's going on there).  Check it out: 

4 hours ago, vdogg said:

I think lammius is gonna have to start charging money. :lol:

First one is free :D

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, carolinaboy said:

I would guess a spring/summer 2017 start then?

At the absolute latest.  That's a big building to complete in 2 years. I think the main will take 3 once all is said and done.  They need to start going through design review like now, lol.

• 3 months later...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=406427949481285&substory_index=0&id=106773949446688

Very small inconsequential update from November. Nothing really of import other than it indicates they're still full steam ahead with this project. This is a good space to watch for updates.  Wouldn't be surprised to see something on the design review docket first quarter of this year.